Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NES or SNES? What to buy?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:55pm
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I was a Sega kid and didn't play much of either. I want good platformers and shooter games, but Street Fighter 2 is a must.

Does The Rage on fade st. have as much NES games as SNES?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Between the two? Snes for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely a SNES. Wouldn't bother with Street Fighter on it though. You can get arcade perfect versions of it and if you are playing it on a non-modified european console it will be playing in slow motion like most PAL games.

For SF2 there's no excuse not to use an arcade emulator, unless you have a cab & the pcb's. 16bit console ports of SF2 are, well, poo.

Some classics on the NES for sure, but start with the Snes...it's a brilliant console

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Definitely Snes because you can get the Mario Allstars cart + SMW for your platforming fix. I thought SF2 Turbo was excellent on the Snes, don't mind the arcade perfect snobs. :P

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Definitely Snes because you can get the Mario Allstars cart + SMW for your platforming fix. I thought SF2 Turbo was excellent on the Snes, don't mind the arcade perfect snobs. :P

It was good for sure, back when the arcade equivilent was eating these

126167329_tp.jpg

But now that all thats needed is this to press 5 in Mame for a credit in the real thing...why settle for less :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Thanks all, good comments so far. I only asked because after a brief view of google results, people were saying NES was better. I'm sure they are both good but i'd go for the SNES.

I'd still buy street figher 2 despite the less than flattering remarks so far. The anniversary edition on ps2 was great and full of nostalgia but i can't play that as i have no Ps2 and won't be buying another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Andrew76 wrote: »

My sentiments exactly, Turbo was excellent and came in a lovely metal tin with a badge. Didn't get a badge in the arcade!

Also get Super Castlevania and Super Bomberman. Oh and Secret of Mana.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Buy both you cheapskate:D

Although if i had to pick between them i would buy a Spectrum:p

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Didn't get a badge in the arcade!

To be fair though, the difference between the two is massive. SF2 ports only became arcade quality form the 32bit era & on. The Snes did a great job of it, but the music is stripped down, the sfx are stripped down, the sprites & animations are stripped down...it's very basic.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I'd be a right casual compared to you lot lol. I want the Zelda, Donkey Kong and Mario experience which i never got having a mega drive.

I've heard Castlevania rules too. Good music, I know that much.

• Advertisement

I want the Zelda, Donkey Kong and Mario experience which i never got having a mega drive.

Your in for a serious treat so.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you going to mod it? If not, make sure to either get a US or Jap 60hz one so it runs at the proper speed!

If you do, you'll also get the added bonus of this -

60hz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I was a Sega kid and didn't play much of either. I want good platformers and shooter games, but Street Fighter 2 is a must.

Does The Rage on fade st. have as much NES games as SNES?

Fellow I-was-a-Sega-kid here. My gut says SNES but really I don't know if I'd advise it over say emulating before buying. Plus try say SF2 on MD or SNES compared to MAME and decide of the differences matter to you.

Also ask for Cidermans opinions on the merits of SD cards and their use on original hardware, its worth hearing. Just ignore anything he says about Streets of Rage. He had a traumatic childhood involving punching dust

bins, stacks of tires and arcade machines and being forced to muddle through by selling Xmas dinners and eating gold bars.

The games bring up bad memories, for him and we should be mature and understanding on this matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Thanks all, good comments so far. I only asked because after a brief view of google results, people were saying NES was better. I'm sure they are both good but i'd go for the SNES.

I'd still buy street figher 2 despite the less than flattering remarks so far. The anniversary edition on ps2 was great and full of nostalgia but i can't play that as i have no Ps2 and won't be buying another one.
    Ah y'see those polls are skewed by US retrogamers.Their gaming history (and I'm being general here) is basically PONG->Atari VCS->NES, and then it fractures off once you hit 16 bit era and Sega get a grip on the US market.
    Because of this US era gamers of a certain age will always vote the NES up over everthing else...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Ah y'see those polls are skewed by US retrogamers.Their gaming history (and I'm being general here) is basically PONG->Atari VCS->NES, and then it fractures off once you hit 16 bit era and Sega get a grip on the US market.
    Because of this US era gamers of a certain age will always vote the NES up over everthing else...

The business model Nintendo used back then to market in the US parallels Bowser's idea of dating to a remarkable degree.

For lots of retro-geek kudos points go for a NES, but if you want to play genuinely brilliant shooters, sports games, fighters, and especially platformers, get the SNES. It really was one of the best consoles ever made.

Also it's controller doesn't make your hands bleed after you play it for too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

If you only intend playing a few games probably best to get the original cartridges.

But if you intend playing **** loads of games and you don't want physical copies taking up space in your gaff - or you don't want to spend a fortune collecting games,
    you should consider these memory card carts:

For the highest amount of game compatibility SD2SNES: - $170
    http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-SD2SNES.htm

1334677319880-1698790105.jpeg

The only games it currently can't play are listed in this table (could change in future software update)
    Starting from the games that have the SA1 chip to the end of the table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#List_of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

.......................................................................................................

The PowerPak - $130 will only play the DSP1 games listed in that table, and all other SNES games:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84

uTE6j.jpg

........................................................................................................

Cheaper option which doesn't play any of the games in that table but all other SNES games:
    Super Everdrive - $87:

http://shop.retrogate.com/Super-Everdrive-SED.htm

_sed.jpg

The 2nd one is from the U.S. so you'll have to pay customs,
    the 1st and 3rd generally don't carry a customs fee. ;)

Advertisement