Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water heated Aga - possible or not?!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'd love to include an Aga in the kitchen of the new house I'm currently designing but I've no interest in paying the oil/elec/gas bills that acompany such an appliance.

So solid fuel would be my prefered option - except I also dont want to have to halk wood and coal into my kitchen.

Would it be possible to connect up an Aga to the heating system, like a radiator, and fuel the oven and hobs with gas on as and when I need the aditional heat for cooking?

The only other option I can think of would be an Aga which could be loaded from behind and design an dedicated "fueling room" at the back of the kitchen.

Comments

Yes it would be possible, but it would be just about the most inefficient way possible to heat a room!
    The heat exchangers are inside the unit and the casing is usually insulated so as to not lose heat, the room is heated from the excess heat that the insulation loses.

Normally if the stove is acting like a radiator, it means that the plumber has cocked up the pipework! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You heating system temp will be around 60 degrees, average oven temp. 160/180 degrees, you won't be doing much cooking that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, why would you connect the Aga to the heating system if you don't intend to use it as a heat source? If you plumb the Aga into your heating system it will absorb a massive amount of energy (heat) for no useful purpose, other than that the Aga might feel warm to the touch after a few hours but you'll still need radiators in the same room, otherwise the room with the Aga will be the coldest in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 musclesmcginty

Your all pretty spot on - I'm talking about using the Aga as a piece of functional furniture to "tie the room together" as the dude from the big Lebowski would say.

So using the Aga as a LHPW storage cylinder and heat sink, I'd tie it into the heating system (wood gasification boiler fueled), and have it at 82oC max temp. Any heat loss would be into the building fabric which is perfect for me.

When I want to cook I'd turn on the gas oven on to bring the oven up to 160-180oC cooking temp.

Advertisement