Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve file transfer speeds with UPC Thompson Router?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm far from an expert on home networking, but looking to get into it in the near future. At the moment I am with UPC 50mb broadband, and have the Thompson TWG870 router in my TV room downstairs (my only option at this point). Connected to the router via Ethernet I have three pieces of kit:
    1. Playstation 3
    2. LaCie La Cinema 2TB (which holds most of my video files, and is also connected to the TV and surround sound)
    3. Zyxel NAS310 2TB (which I'm looking to use to hold my music collection and overflow from the LaCie)

When I have files on my laptop and I'm looking to transfer them to either the LaCie or the Zyxel, I'm getting speeds of circa 2.5MB/second maximum. Is there a way for me to improve the transfer speed, as sending a 4GB HD movie file can become a bit tedious. Is there any piece of kit that I can buy to improve my wireless transfer speeds?

Perhaps I'm being a bit greedy but I'm sure there must be a way of achieving better speeds!

Thanks,
    MJS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm far from an expert on home networking, but looking to get into it in the near future. At the moment I am with UPC 50mb broadband, and have the Thompson TWG870 router in my TV room downstairs (my only option at this point). Connected to the router via Ethernet I have three pieces of kit:
    1. Playstation 3
    2. LaCie La Cinema 2TB (which holds most of my video files, and is also connected to the TV and surround sound)
    3. Zyxel NAS310 2TB (which I'm looking to use to hold my music collection and overflow from the LaCie)

When I have files on my laptop and I'm looking to transfer them to either the LaCie or the Zyxel, I'm getting speeds of circa 2.5MB/second maximum. Is there a way for me to improve the transfer speed, as sending a 4GB HD movie file can become a bit tedious. Is there any piece of kit that I can buy to improve my wireless transfer speeds?

Perhaps I'm being a bit greedy but I'm sure there must be a way of achieving better speeds!

Thanks,
    MJS
    Wired really is the way to go.

If you want to stick with wireless, you could get a N capable router (not sure if that thomson is) and an N Capable wireless USB card for your laptop.
    However all things considered, I would look ( and have done in the past) at a homeplug kit which will give you far better speeds without the need to rewire the house.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av200-200mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-7KJ7.html?src=3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kippy wrote: »
    Wired really is the way to go.

If you want to stick with wireless, you could get a N capable router (not sure if that thomson is) and an N Capable wireless USB card for your laptop.
    However all things considered, I would look ( and have done in the past) at a homeplug kit which will give you far better speeds without the need to rewire the house.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av200-200mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-7KJ7.html?src=3

Great stuff, thanks. I'm looking at building a new PC for another room in the house so will look more into the N-Capable router and wireless card.

I'd seen those homeplugs a few years back but thought they were more of a stopgap measure whilst wireless technology improved, will definitely check them out.

Great stuff, thanks. I'm looking at building a new PC for another room in the house so will look more into the N-Capable router and wireless card.

I'd seen those homeplugs a few years back but thought they were more of a stopgap measure whilst wireless technology improved, will definitely check them out.

Well, I haven't used the N setup as of yet and apparently transfer speeds are far better than G, but I believe they are still nowhere near as stable as wired (in fact I doubt wireless ever will be, especially with building design, distance from router etc There are pros and cons of the N setup, however for transfering large files I would almost alway use the homeplug.
    The price would be a big consideration for me also.

Well, I haven't used the N setup as of yet and apparently transfer speeds are far better than G, but I believe they are still nowhere near as stable as wired (in fact I doubt wireless ever will be, especially with building design, distance from router etc There are pros and cons of the N setup, however for transfering large files I would almost alway use the homeplug.
    The price would be a big consideration for me also.

Out of interest, how would the homeplug fit into a setup like mine? I'd need to put one plug near my router, and connect the Ethernet cable to the one remaining free spot on my router, is that right?

Then wherever I was transferring the files from with my laptop, I would also need to have a plug and ethernet cable with me?

Out of interest, how would the homeplug fit into a setup like mine? I'd need to put one plug near my router, and connect the Ethernet cable to the one remaining free spot on my router, is that right?

Then wherever I was transferring the files from with my laptop, I would also need to have a plug and ethernet cable with me?

Thats pretty much it.
    There are some pros and cons of homeplugs as well (there are a few really good threads around here about them.)

• Advertisement

Thats pretty much it.
    There are some pros and cons of homeplugs as well (there are a few really good threads around here about them.)

Will do a search and have an auld Google as well, cheers for the info. If I've any more stupid questions I'll be back!

Advertisement