Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receding hairline

Options
  • 14-05-2012 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Some of us with crap genetics were born with the sad reality that our hair recedes. I'm young and my hairline is so bad...WORST.
    Who are some famous people who have receding hairlines to take inspiration from?
    What hairstyle best suits it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just keep your hair cut tight.

This boy never let a receding hairline hold him back:

jason_statham.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tight cut, or mach3 the top of your head and grow a goatee or a beard of some sort at the bottom of your chin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Definitely cut it very short. If you try to disguise it, it looks much worse and makes you look older if anything.
    I can only speak for myself, but I rarely notice if a guy has receding hair, unless it's a combover of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just keep your hair cut tight.

This boy never let a receding hairline hold him back:

jason_statham.jpg

That dude looks kinda ugly to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

His history with women is most impressive

If you are receeding, keep it tight, nothing worse than seeing a man fighting hairloss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

EdenHazard wrote: »

So what?

My point was he's done extremely well for himself in his movie star career and was going out with the slightly attractive Kelly Brook for quite a while, all without trying to hide a receding hairline.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

AnonoBoy wrote: »

So what?

My point was he's done extremely well for himself in his movie star career and was going out with the slightly attractive Kelly Brook for quite a while, all without trying to hide a receding hairline.

He's hot as hell.
    Trust me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Some of us with crap genetics were born with the sad reality that our hair recedes. I'm young and my hairline is so bad...WORST.
    Who are some famous people who have receding hairlines to take inspiration from?
    What hairstyle best suits it?

Jude Law is one of the better examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

As long as you don't go down the Sven Goran Eriksson route and leave one half bushy as hell while the other half of your head is completely bald then you'll be fine.

If you are going bald then keep it cut tight enough with a blade. Something like Zinedine Zidane back in the day. He started going bald as far back as the '98 World Cup. He shaved it down low enough and it actually looks pretty good now.

Sven-Goran-Eriksson_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Have to disagree with Jude Law, i think he's aged really badly.

But Jason Statham is really hot. Matthew McConnaghy has receding hair and still gets cast in loads of chick flicks, so he must have something going for him (not my type personally)

I think the style depends on the hair, and how far it has receded - short is definitely the way to go though. My husband right now has an all over 9mm cut and it looks super sexy. His hair is receding from the temples more than the front, so occasionally he leaves the top a tad longer and has a mini-mohawk, which is also cool.

The best advice is to own it, confidence is sexy whatever way it's dressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I know where you're coming from dude:( My own hairline is starting to recede slightly and I'm just 18!:eek:
    I even looked into rogaine because I was afraid I was starting to lose my hair early but that's not permanent so my plan is to hit the gym and bulk up to compensate:D
    My hairline is still fine and nobody notices any difference and says I'm crazy maybe I'm just paranoid about it?
    I bet you're fine as well. Just don't stress about it, it WILL make things worse!

Ryan gosling, Ryan Reynolds and Bradley cooper have receding hairlines as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't flight it , no point. I go for a two blade all over myself and I've been told it looks well. Also have a beard so it makes a good balance.

Perhaps someone can clarify this but I did hear before that hair thinning or loss is attributed to an increase in testosterone in men ??

KTRIC wrote: »
    Don't flight it , no point. I go for a two blade all over myself and I've been told it looks well. Also have a beard so it makes a good balance.

Perhaps someone can clarify this but I did hear before that hair thinning or loss is attributed to an increase in testosterone in men ??

It's not as easy as just high testosterone. You can get hair loss if it's too low even.
    It's actually more to do with DHT (a form of T, 30x more potent) this is the bītch that causes the most trouble because you lose head hair but gain body hair.
    I had my basic bloods done last month and my testosterone is on the higher scale of normal. But ultimately still normal.
    That wasn't an indepth test though because it didn't measure free testosterone, DHT etc.
    I wanted the proper test done but he wouldn't let me because it's expensive and he thought it was unnecessary.

@Edenhazard
    One of the ways to notice if your DHT might be high is if you're growing more facial hair, chest hair or generally getting hairier.
    Did you ever notice how nearly all the balding guys have a full thick beard and are hairy?

I'm interested to see if your the same KTRIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Im a girl but i suffer from alopecia on and off and it always seems to be worst around my hairline, i just enjoy the hair i have when its thick and try not care when it gets a bit thin! Its only hair at the end of the day-have to admit it took me alot of drama queen tears to get round to that way of thinking though! I think guys can look well regardless of their hair as long as they keep it lookin neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going bald myself(nearly 29). Don't fight it just live with it.

Only thing I would say about going bald is that I have to mind my weight much more.

Having chubby face with bald head looked bad on me, but since I lost weight and just ate healthy the bald head does not seem as bad, some even think I look better with it.

Be fair not had hassle over it either from females.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've had shaggy curly mop-head since I was 18, I'm 25 now.

The past year or so my hairline has been receding at the front, to the point that I hated windy days as it'd blow my fringe back and (IMO) it looked like I was trying to hide the hairline (which I kinda was).

Finally bit the bullet and went and got a shorter haircut. It's done a world of good for me, hair looks much better for it.
    I'm lucky enough in that it's not an extreme receding hairline - it's along the lines of Lance Armstrong: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/suwarnaadi/armstrong-lance-hairstyle.jpg

If I was going proper bald though, I'd just shave it all off. No point fighting a battle you're obviously not winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Kash wrote: »
    The best advice is to own it, confidence is sexy whatever way it's dressed.

I completely agree with that :) Keep it tidy and tight to your head. I disagree with the "grow a beard/goatee instead" idea though. It smacks of "I will prove that I can grow hair" which is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm 37 and for the last 2 years or so have been going light on top.
    This year I decided to shave it to number 1 level and think it's the best way to go. The combover look is never good.
    Noone likes loosing their hair but we just have to make the best of it.
    Fortunately the shaved head look seems to be quite popular these days and I think most women don't mind if a guy shaves his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I don't need to shave my head yet, thankfully but I think the important thing then is to dress well and keep in shape and then you can pull it off and look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Im going to shave my head when I go to Oz in July. Bit easier because if it looks awful ill know no one there to see it!

Ive always had a big mop of curly hair so Im not really looking forward to doing it. Cant imagine its going to suit me, but then again I doubt a combover would either! At least this is my decision.

• Advertisement

LaHaine wrote: »
    Im going to shave my head when I go to Oz in July. Bit easier because if it looks awful ill know no one there to see it!

Ive always had a big mop of curly hair so Im not really looking forward to doing it. Cant imagine its going to suit me, but then again I doubt a combover would either! At least this is my decision.

I found it a bit strange the first time I got my hair shaved as well but if you are going thin on top it's better than trying to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I agree to go for a tight No 1/2 cut once it starts thinning. Some guys do look better with the tight haircut. Bought a hair clippers about 5 years ago and saved 100s from not having to go the the barber

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Try spectral dnc, it works on receding hairlines unlike rogaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What is difference between all these brands that say they stop thinning and others saying they regrow the hair?

Has anyone got successful results in hair actually growing back?

Try spectral dnc, it works on receding hairlines unlike rogaine.

Yeah but they only work for as long as you keep using it right?
    That's a big commitment to make if you're young considering they're not cheap.

I bet when I'm in my 30's they're will be something to permanently keep your hair....I hope anyway!:D

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah but they only work for as long as you keep using it right?
    That's a big commitment to make if you're young considering they're not cheap.

I bet when I'm in my 30's they're will be something to permanently keep your hair....I hope anyway!:D

There already is if you're Wayne Rooney and have 30 k to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I started to lose my hair when I was 23, so rather than go for a comb-over or try to hide it, I just shaved my head. I do it twice a week now with a bare blade (no #1 or #2 for me! LOL) and like another poster said, I've been told it suits me better than when I had hair!

Going bald or being bald isn't necessarily a bad thing!! Look at these guys....

vin-diesel-picture-12.jpg

stewart1.jpg

bald6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I started to lose my hair when I was 23, so rather than go for a comb-over or try to hide it, I just shaved my head. I do it twice a week now with a bare blade (no #1 or #2 for me! LOL) and like another poster said, I've been told it suits me better than when I had hair!

Going bald or being bald isn't necessarily a bad thing!! Look at these guys....

vin-diesel-picture-12.jpg

stewart1.jpg

bald6.jpg

It is if you have really fair skin.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the worst thing possible is to try and hide it.

comb overs and wigs look AWFUL

we are more understanding of those minor genetic and medical causes that bring about hairloss

thankfully we now live in a world where a close cut or even a shaved scalp can (and often does) look great.

even on girls!

one of the voice UK finalists was a girl with Alopecia (sp?) "coming out" as bald and she looked great

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

yeah dont go the donald trump direction with wigs or a combover it just looks stupid people can tell might aswell shave it or keep it very trim ponytails look bad too..

Advertisement