Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD "Other" storage

Options
  • 14-05-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Been meaning to post this on here to see if anyone could offer a bit of balance. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro. Been using it for 9 months now and just noticed i've started to run out of space on my 500GB internal HDD.

When i first got it I had plenty of space. I posted a screen shot of the storage distribution below. All seems fine except for the "Other" section which seems really large to me. It's currently 190GB but keeps increasing in size. I haven't got too many program's installed either, the largest of which is probably The Adobe suite. Dunno whats taking up so much space.

What size's is it taking up on people's HDD? Wondering if this is normal or extremely oversized. Seems too much to me.

204874.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The sleep image and swap files are included in "Other". I've 8GB RAM so that's almost 9GB on my Mac (Snow Leopard, not Lion).

I think your Downloads folder is included in "Other". Check the size of it.

If you use a lot of very large files in apps that use " file versions" then you might be building up a very big versions database. That would be worth checking.

It's also possible that you might be generating some large intermediate files with the Adobe suite that are classified as "Other".

If you were you I'd look at the size of your top-level folders in your home directory and see if any seem too big for what you have in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Get the app "Disk Inventory X" that will show you everything that's on your HDD on a nice interactive picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Get the app "Disk Inventory X" that will show you everything that's on your HDD on a nice interactive picture.

Just got this app. Turns out it was correct. What was showing in "Other" was actually file types Mac OS X doesn't recognise. Such as .MKV and the likes. Just need to sort through the Movies they seem to be taking up most space.

Advertisement