Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Boat Engine Vs. Petrol???

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,im looking to get a motor for my 17ft daragh lake fibreglass boat!i have been looking for a while and can get a 55lb thrust electric for 250....where as a small 4hp-ish motor 2nd hand will set me back twice that!!!!what are the benefits to either engine and what should i look for??i would only be using it for small lakes and it wouldnt be overworked!!i also have a 3m inflatable so if it could be used for that aswel it would be good altho the inflatable is only for very small lakes not accessable by road!!!boats only used for fishing!!any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The trolling motors are silent while the petrol engine makes lots of noise. Not sure about 4hp on a lake boat though, might be a bit weak. I have a 34lb electric motor which I've used on my 17' Sheelin Boat (which is for sale on adverts along with the trolling motor) and it got me around slowly but I wouldn't like to have to rely on it if the wind got up. Think I'd prefer the power of the petrol engine.

Advertisement