Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

i am wondering if i am still eligible for claiming the back to education allowance while progressing onto a degree course in wales. i have just completed a higher national diploma, so the wales course would be a progression from this and is only one year. i will be livig in ireland and travelling over. the course is full time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monkey tree

Hi there,

I recently had similar question to yours! I phoned my local Social Welfare Officer who deals with BTEA who informed me that you need to be attending a progressive course in the Island of Ireland in order to qualify for BTEA.

A Moderator also replied to me and posted the following "No only postgraduate courses in Ireland are covered. From guidelines:
    1.8.2 Third level study outside of Ireland
    Full-time day undergraduate courses in European Union countries which are recognised for Higher Education Grant purposes may also be considered for the Back to Education Allowance. Only postgraduate courses in Ireland are eligible for the BTEA scheme".

I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

sorry, but i am still confused. i am accepted into the final year of a 3 year hons degree course. is that still not undergraduate? so would i still not be considered?

Hi again,

You stated you have just completed a Higher National Diploma, and asked if you could 'still' retain BTEA whilst progressing to a higher award in Wales, so I presume ( correct me if I am wrong ) that you studied for your current qualification in the Island of Ireland and received BTEA?

I believe you are now asking if you can retain your BTEA whilst progressing to Degree level in Wales?

In short, if you have been receiving BTEA and were progressing to Degree level in a college here in Ireland then you may retain your BTEA, but as far as I know based on the information in my previous post, you cannot receive BTEA for a course, regardless if is a progression, outside the Island of Ireland.

It really is confusing! You should ring your local Social Welfare office and they can clear up any questions you may have. I hope this helps:)

Oh my God! I just re read your post and have just fully realised you would be considered 'undergraduate'!

My apologies, I understand where you are coming from. I've been so obsessed with my own situation I overlooked the major point of your question.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

My advise is to ring your local Social Welfare office, I found them very helpful with my questions.

It actually looks as if you would qualify! Good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

hey.
    yeah sorry, i forgot to state. i have studied for my HND in dublin. and the awarding body is BTEC, which is the english equivalent to FETAC.
    haha, no problem with the confusion! yeah i will be an undergraduate. i just heard of some people that you dont get it, but i do know of some that have received it.
    since i am doing my HND with BTEC in dublin, i just presumed that when continuing i will retain it even if the college is in wales.
    thanks for your time in replying
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

hey.
    yeah sorry, i forgot to state. i have studied for my HND in dublin. and the awarding body is BTEC, which is the english equivalent to FETAC.
    haha, no problem with the confusion! yeah i will be an undergraduate. i just heard of some people that you dont get it, but i do know of some that have received it.
    since i am doing my HND with BTEC in dublin, i just presumed that when continuing i will retain it even if the college is in wales.
    thanks for your time in replying
    cheers

Have you confirm this from your local welfare office? as I believe you should be qualified for BTEA because the course is an undergraduate programme, and I read somewhere people who have gone through the same route, can you let us know your outcome as there are other in the same predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi Jimbob, as far as I am aware you should be still able to claim BTEA. As long as the course you are going into is progressing (i.e not repeating a level) and is recognised by HETAC then it should be ok. I would go in and speak to the person who deals with Back to Education Allowance in your local SW office, as sometimes if you just ask at reception or over the phone you can get conflicting information.

I am studying in Edinburgh, going into my second year of an undergraduate degree and I am claiming BTEA, I had to ask a few people before I got a straight answer on whether I was eligible for it, but eventually it came through. The woman I spoke to at the time even said that her own son was claiming it while attending college in America...so my guess is, as long as you fulfill all the other criteria and the course is recognised then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Let us know the final outcome OP, I'm sure you won't be the last person asking this question on the forum!

Advertisement