Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bungalow that's built around a 130-year-old railway carriage.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Just goes to show the difference between here and the uk. That'd be flattened by a JCB straight away if it was here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Railway carriages as holiday homes were a feature of the 50's, 60's usually dotted around beaches in North Dublin and else where. The few I remember clearly were in Sutton, just opposite the station, where the Tramyard development is now situated and also the North beach in Rush. A Mk 3 would be fun, one could buy one of those little air compressors to power the doors and impress the neighbours. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know where there's a Dublin & Kingstown 'style' carriage dating from 1853 in the middle of a holiday home - it is seriously museum worthy but there it will stay. Don't bother sending PMs for location.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

odd, fair play to the guy for restoring it and all but why not just arrange for it to accidentally burn down or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

odd, fair play to the guy for restoring it and all but why not just arrange for it to accidentally burn down or similar?

They actually appreciate their heritage and put their money where their mouths are without looking for the 'cute hoor' way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I know where there's a Dublin & Kingstown 'style' carriage dating from 1853 in the middle of a holiday home - it is seriously museum worthy but there it will stay. Don't bother sending PMs for location.

I don't know of that one, JD, but I do know of at least 2 others in the 32 counties that are lived in as well as many goods vans which are used as sheds and animal shelters. Oddly enough, a mark 2 or 3 wouldn't be too suitable as they need a hell of a lot of rustproofing before you could plop them down and yes, it has been tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in this country we do what we can to destroy anything heritage, and then build developments in bally go backwards that nobody wants or possibly has all sorts of problems, oh well never mind.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement