Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dull pain due to stress

Options
  • 13-05-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in middle of doing exams for a masters and quite busy studying and as expected a bit stressful as well. The issue I am having is that when studying I get quite into it and can be stressful sometimes and I get a very dull pain in my teeth at the back. It feels like when stressed I subconsciously clench my jaw down and gives quite an annoying dull pain.

When I am not studying it goes away. I took yesterday evening off and was out for a few beers and was grand and no problem when going to bed and wake up. Its just when I go to study. Any other time it goes away.

Is there anything I can do to stop the clenching of the jaw. I was considering getting some of them soft things the dentists put in your mouth and putting them at the back between the teeth and see if that helps.

Some opinions would be good.

Cheers

Chris85

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hard to know there OP whats going on. On thing I would say is not to chew chewing gum while you study, it can really stress the jaw muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

chris85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am in middle of doing exams for a masters and quite busy studying and as expected a bit stressful as well. The issue I am having is that when studying I get quite into it and can be stressful sometimes and I get a very dull pain in my teeth at the back. It feels like when stressed I subconsciously clench my jaw down and gives quite an annoying dull pain.

When I am not studying it goes away. I took yesterday evening off and was out for a few beers and was grand and no problem when going to bed and wake up. Its just when I go to study. Any other time it goes away.

Is there anything I can do to stop the clenching of the jaw. I was considering getting some of them soft things the dentists put in your mouth and putting them at the back between the teeth and see if that helps.

Some opinions would be good.

Cheers

Chris85

Give up the study, sounds like that is the problem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hard to know there OP whats going on. On thing I would say is not to chew chewing gum while you study, it can really stress the jaw muscles.

never knew gum could do that. must take your advice on that one:)
    my jaw muscles get very tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Chewing gum doesnt cause jaw problems but it can make them worse. Ever forget to spit a piece out that you have been chewing for hours, your jaws ache. Just like any muscles your overwork them and they get tight and sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

I had TMJ due to stress over mortgage, went when I got it sorted. was very sore,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Give up the study, sounds like that is the problem!!

Ok

Dont chew gum.
    wex96 wrote: »
    I had TMJ due to stress over mortgage, went when I got it sorted. was very sore,

TMJ. Very interesting info out there realating to this but all seem long term sufferers. Like you I am sure this will go away when exams are over. Need to figure out a short term solution.

Gonna try bonjela and see if that helps. Have tried some Ibuprofen but not much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mingetoad

If you feel you are clenching while you study then an appliance would help reduce the stress you put your jaw under. As you are awake while doing it I'd suggest try hard to stop yourself doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Mingetoad wrote: »
    If you feel you are clenching while you study then an appliance would help reduce the stress you put your jaw under. As you are awake while doing it I'd suggest try hard to stop yourself doing it.

I am trying to stop when studying but finding it difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

You could try using something that would help you to relax a bit while studying. I've been told that it's the muscles in spasm that causes a lot of the pain - not sure if that will be the same for you. I use a heat pillow across my shoulders or around my neck and that eases the pain for me. Or maybe aromatherapy??? Whatever might help you relax but still study???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kathleenpatel

You should see a dentist and get an appliance. You are most likely clenching your teeth as you sleep, as well. I have the same problem Anytime I am really stressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement