Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Concentrating on breathing works well for me. It should be steady and neither forced nor shallow. And by works well, I don't mean it's easy by any means.

There is probably a physiological change underpinning this breathing technique.

Don't consume caffeine. Don't do it after you've eaten. Don't do it on an empty stomach. Don't do it in a hurry. Don't do it if you're sleepy.

Have a comfortable spot to sit.

Do it everyday. Even if you break all the rules.

I light incense as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Ajahn Chah technique work well for me.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/On_Meditation1.php

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

there are various approaches, if you want to learn how to quieten the mind gradually, and improve your sense of being and stability, then mastering breathing is the best.

If you wish for attainments and insight, and ultimately lock in an empty silent mind as a default state and become enlightened, then I would recommend a combination of vipassana and direct focus on seeing there is no self.
    Combining this with breathing can be very stabilizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Has anyone some good readings/links/videos/etc for meditation?

I am more aware of Zen.

Hi Conor, what are you looking to achieve? (genuine question as there are so many different ways of meditating that some links may not be of use over others)

• Advertisement

wylo wrote: »
    Hi Conor, what are you looking to achieve? (genuine question as there are so many different ways of meditating that some links may not be of use over others)

Currently in an academic phase (personal, not any actual research) of sorts. So literally any resources you have that you found interesting.

I come from a non tradional pragmatic angle here, and I may as well throw in the disclaimer that Im only learning.

Personally, I like to break it down to 3 different types:

Direct Inquiry
    Gradual Investigative
    Concentration

Direct Inquiry - can lead to relatively fast results in terms of awakening, can be turbulent and unpredictable , and not always line up with other peoples experiences.

Gradual Investigative - Basically Insight meditation, solid investigation of the nature of your existence, and loads of info online, not to mention it follows a certain path( which ill link)

Concentration - the one we all hear about, basically mastering the ability to be highly tranquil, highly alert and highly concentrated. Imo no matter which methods you use you can never go wrong by getting good at this as well. If you can attain clarity from awakening, this only compliments it.

Direct Inquiry
    http://liberationunleashed.com/nation/index.php - gets you straight into questioning the existence of "you". I woke up pretty hard from this method (some people here might remember me ranting on in an over excited fashion for a few months afterwards) and is essentially the thing that got me into all this.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Direct-Path-User-Guide/dp/1908664029/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337862246&sr=1-1

Id try and read about the subject-object view. And investigate that.

A map that compliments direct inquiry...
    http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.ca/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html
    http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2011/12/experience-realization-view-practice.html

Gradual investigation:

Basically Vipassana insight meditation where you investigate three characteristics of existence in your sensate experience, as often as you can. No self, suffering, and impermanence.
    http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml Great modern take and model to work off.
    And heres a forum, by the same guy...
    http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion

Concentration:
    Thats covered in the MCTB book I just linked, but as you know yourself its really not rocket science, its about mastering the ability to concentrate on an object for as long as possible, and enjoying the experiences that come with it.
    (object is usually breath in the nose). LOADS of stuff on google about this.

Theres alot there, this is knowledge ive accumulated over a year, so I wouldnt expect you to dive into all that stuff.

If you want to know what I did, I basically showed up on a site like Liberation Unleashed (linked above), saw through the illusion of the "self", woke up pretty hard from that, and then started exploring and practising to deepen that and attain new levels of insight/clarity.
    Im by no means done, but very very comfortable with where Im at and the direction this is going.
    I work off that awakeningtoreality blog now as a map as it lines up thoroughly with my experiences and where im still trapped/clinging on etc.

All this type of investigation is as old as Buddhism, finally Neuroscience research is lining up with some of the most ancient philosophies, which makes the whole thing less weird and culty
    If there is one thing I had always gotten wrong was that I thought spirituality/buddhism/whatever was about believing stuff.
    Whereas its entirely the opposite, you are investigating your own very existence and experience at a deeper more scientific realistic level than some of the most vocal atheists out there. You are basically killing ALL assumptions about what you think is true and what is not.
    Now, if none of that interests you and its all a bit over the top, then maybe just learn concentration meditation to improve your well being.

Also, all this stuff is just my opinion and take on what Ive learned, like for instance one could say direct inquiry IS gradual investigation, or you could apply my descriptions of one with another. It all sort of overlaps a bit tbh.

Thanks, I will read through this stuff (eventually) and see where it takes me*.

*If anywhere, and I am happy just "doing" as is at the moment anyway.

Thanks again, I think I am remembering why I settled on Zen. I find it much more direct and practical for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Advertisement