Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five 20 year old lads going to London for weekend, advice?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

A group of mates and I, are going to London for the H Cup final, arriving on Friday and basically want to know some decent spots to hit it in terms of nightlife. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

A group of mates and I, are going to London for the H Cup final, arriving on Friday and basically want to know some decent spots to hit it in terms of nightlife. Much appreciated.
    Where are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

djpbarry wrote: »
    Where are you staying?

Central London man.

Central London man.
    Can you be a bit more specific? Central London means different things to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

Go to The Church in Clapham on Sunday

Guaranteed banter

Can you be a bit more specific? Central London means different things to different people.

We're in Westminster.

• Advertisement

We're in Westminster.
    Right so - I would suggest you head south of the river to the general Waterloo/South Bank/Southwark area. South Bank in particular should be fairly lively on a Friday/Saturday night without being as messy as Leicester Square, Covent Garden, etc. Difficult to make specific suggestions without knowing exactly what you're after, but if it's to be a young lads' night, you could try Isabella Street, where you'll find a few places like this:

http://www.windmilltaverns.com/jacks

The doormen might be a bit wary of a bunch of 20 year olds though.

You'll find a few places around the corner along The Cut too.

asking a very general and may seem stupid question, but what are london birds like and i dont mean the flying kind.

asking a very general and may seem stupid question, but what are london birds like and i dont mean the flying kind.
    Well, I'm marrying one, so...

...no comment I'm afraid.

But seriously, London is a city with of the order of 10 million people - sticking a label on them is a near-impossible (and pretty meaningless) task. However, I will say that you'll probably find Londoners in general a good deal more formal (and dare I say polite) than Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

If you're out for the lash after the rugby then Clapham is the place to go. It's easy to get to from Twickenham and there's plenty of life. Try Infernos - the London version of Coppers

Reekwind wrote: »
    If you're out for the lash after the rugby then Clapham is the place to go. It's easy to get to from Twickenham and there's plenty of life. Try Infernos - the London version of Coppers

yeah cheers pal, thats our scene really.

• Advertisement

...Clapham is the place to go. It's easy to get to from Twickenham...
    I wouldn't say that - Twickenham to Clapham is a bit awkward. Train then bus, probably taking 45 minutes minimum. Twickenham to Waterloo, on the other hand, is straightforward 25 minutes on the one train.
    yeah cheers pal, thats our scene really.
    Ah, well I was way off then.

I wouldn't say that - Twickenham to Clapham is a bit awkward. Train then bus, probably taking 45 minutes minimum
    Twickenham to Clapham Junction is 20min (plus 10min walk). Otherwise Waterloo is what, 10min from Clapham Commons?

Twickenham to Clapham Junction is 20min (plus 10min walk).
    But you suggested Infernos on Clapham High Street? That's a good 40-minute walk from Clapham Junction, or 10-15 minutes by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Twickenham to Clapham Junction is 20min (plus 10min walk). Otherwise Waterloo is what, 10min from Clapham Commons?

Clapham Junction is not in Clapham; one of the peculiarities of London like Westminster being a separate city!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a bit of what can only be called Tube-Map Scale going on in this thread. "OH NOES IT'S MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILES AWEH!" :P

Err. No. It's not miles away, it's just that the transport structure wasn't designed with radial travel in mind so such trips are inefficient on tube or train, and buses inevitably struggle with traffic.

Clapham Junction to Clapham Common is a mile and a half. If the weather's tolerable, you'll walk it faster than you can get there on bus or train or tube. It's really not that hard. (Here's a Google Map if you don't believe me).

Clapham and Balham have seemed really nice and busy the couple of times I've been down there, and from reading around for the Beers nights out there are plenty of places there that'd be a good fit for what the OP and co. are after.

Fysh wrote: »
    Clapham and Balham have seemed really nice and busy the couple of times I've been down there, and from reading around for the Beers nights out there are plenty of places there that'd be a good fit for what the OP and co. are after.
    Clapham High St would definitely seem to fit the bill, although there are plenty of places around Clapham Junction that are popular with the young peoples and that would be a bit more convenient if travelling from Twickenham.

But you suggested Infernos on Clapham High Street? That's a good 40-minute walk from Clapham Junction, or 10-15 minutes by bus.
    I've done it, to Infernos, in around 20min before. It's really not far

I've done it, to Infernos, in around 20min before. It's really not far
    I'm not suggesting it's that far, but I take it the OP is after something handy. So, if they're after an Infernos-type affair, I would suggest Clapham Junction - easy from Twickenham and they can get the 87/N87 bus straight back to Westminster afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Jesus Christ, Infernos, I lasted 20 minutes and had to leave, my idea of hell. Actually Clapham high st makes Temple Bar look like a class act on a Saturday Night.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Infernos, I lasted 20 minutes and had to leave, my idea of hell. Actually Clapham high st makes Temple Bar look like a class act on a Saturday Night.
    That would be my general opinion too, but apparently this is the kind of thing the OP is after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ours is not to reason why :)

That would be my general opinion too, but apparently this is the kind of thing the OP is after.

Yeah I probably would have loved it when I was 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The Swan in Stockwell! A home away from home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Playboy wrote: »
    The Swan in Stockwell! A home away from home :p

I'm ashamed to say I was there on last night. What a dive. Never again.

I'm ashamed to say I was there on last night. What a dive. Never again.
    I cycle by it on my way to/from work - can't say I've ever been tempted to venture inside. Looks like a post-apocalyptic Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I cycle by it on my way to/from work - can't say I've ever been tempted to venture inside. Looks like a post-apocalyptic Coppers.

not even for the onion rings??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder did the OP did anywhere decent.

I have been in many cities in my time and for me London was the toughest place to get a pint on a Friday and Saturday night after 11pm (assuming you didn't want to go to a club).

Awful.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder did the OP did anywhere decent.

I have been in many cities in my time and for me London was the toughest place to get a pint on a Friday and Saturday night after 11pm (assuming you didn't want to go to a club).

Awful.

It can be hard to find late places in the West End at times yes, but they all seem to be opening later these days. Where I live in South London you can pretty much drink till whatever time you like. The nightlife here is unrivalled IMO.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It really depends on what part of London you find yourself in - 'tis a big place. As BraziliaNZ says, finding places that open a bit later isn't too difficult south of the river.

Innit.

• Advertisement

TBH I've never understood the appeal of heading out in the West End, but that's probably just me...

Advertisement