Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A stage piano

Options
  • 12-05-2012 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Can anyone link to one or two stage pianos for a young fella who is just starting to perform. At the moment, he occasionally plays classical music at a cafe and also the odd wedding. He will be joining a band in the summer so will he doing a bit of gigging.

There's not many music shops locally and the prices and their prices seem to be a bit high. Don't want to overpay and don't want to buy a poor instrument either. What would be a ball park figure for a first stage piano?

He's into composing and has Sibelius so would like to connect it to a computer.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Any keys players out there? What did you start on?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

I'm currently playing a Korg Sv1. I absolutely love it but it basically comes loaded with a 'style tax' for looking so good. It's a wonderful instrument but you can get can get something that could do the job 80% as well for a 3rd of the cost. Something like a Yamaha P85 would do the job for a 1st stage piano. I think a couple are knocking around on adverts.ie at the moment in the 400-500 euro bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

The Yamaha P series is great. As the above poster mentiones, the P85 should be fairly cheap at this point, you'd even find the next model up, the P95 for in and around 600 quid.

The Korg Sp1 is very stripped down in terms of additional sounds, but has a lovely weighted feel for the price. The Korg SP250 (I think is the model number) is also wonderful and as far as I recall usually comes with its own purpose built stand. A little bit more expensive I suspect.

After that it can take quite a jump price-wise up to the likes of the Roland RD-300 and 700 which are above and beyond the 1'200 euro mark.

I started with the p85 and still use it with Sibelius now and again, mind you it requires a Midi-USB cable whereas a lot of more recent keyboards have a much simpler midi connection. does the job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Cheers :) I will check those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

No worries :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement