Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miguel Torres Rape Joke Again

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

this isn't mma news who gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

cambridge wrote: »
    this isn't mma news who gives a ****
    It is mma news. He was cut the last time he did something similar.
    However, I dunno if he'll be cut for this one. Still a dumb move by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

insanity50 wrote: »
    This guy must be the most braindead human being on the planet.

Hope he gets cut permanently this time. No place for this sh*t.

http://twitter.com/#!/MiguelTorresMMA/status/201181272553435136

how do you know thats a rape joke?
    he could be talking about a fighter giving up.

pretty dumb of him all the same not to clarify given his history

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not really a joke, jokes are meant to be funny

Supposed joke here to save people giving him attention.

"They should never say stop, no, and don't. What you should hear is no don't stop."

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This guy must be the most braindead human being on the planet.

Hope he gets cut permanently this time. No place for this sh*t.

http://twitter.com/#!/MiguelTorresMMA/status/201181272553435136

"Jaysus Joe, it's terrible! People making jokes that I don't like, what's the world coming to Joe?"

A joke is a joke!

You say "no place for this sh*t" but, for me, there's always a place for comedy. Anything and everything should be open to comedy.

Humour is subjective. If you find something funny, laugh. if you don't, don't laugh. If someone makes a joke and you find it offensive, grow some balls!

Apart from all that, in the first place he didn't even make a rape joke, he quoted a TV show. No big deal! If I sing along to the chorus of "**** and Bitches" does that make me racist and sexist? Does it f*ck!

I completely understand UFC's position and the fact that there was more to the firing than just the tweet, but faux-outrage is pathetic!

(PS: I don't even know what this is but it doesn't read like a joke, it reads more like a song lyric or a quote from something)

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "Jaysus Joe, it's terrible! People making jokes that I don't like, what's the world coming to Joe?"

A joke is a joke!

You say "no place for this sh*t" but, for me, there's always a place for comedy. Anything and everything should be open to comedy.

)

I agree in a sense but he's not a comedian so don't think this qualifies as an excuse, also some subjects should be treated carefully and anything that could cause real hurt to people I'd put in that box.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I agree in a sense but he's not a comedian so don't think this qualifies as an excuse,

Jokes should not be confined to comedians. Everybody has a sense of humour and everybody has the right to make jokes.
    also some subjects should be treated carefully and anything that could cause real hurt to people I'd put in that box.

I get what you say, treated carefully certainly.

But, I disagree that something that can/will cause hurt to people is above comedy. There shouldn't be anything outside the realms of what can be joked about!

As I said, comedy is subjective. If someone gets offended by a joke, so be it! as with everything is life, it's up to the person in question to keep their emotions in check!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    As I said, comedy is subjective. If someone gets offended by a joke, so be it! as with everything is life, it's up to the person in question to keep their emotions in check!

so that makes abusing people acceptable in the name of comedy ok-I don't mind people been called fat stuff cause you can change that and people choose to be fat,

now you start abusing people with say autism I think that's bolix as they can't do anything about it, also joking about people who can't defend themselves is cowardly too.

cowzerp wrote: »
    so that makes abusing people acceptable in the name of comedy ok-I don't mind people been called fat stuff cause I can change that and people choose to be fat,

now you start abusing people with say autism I think that's bolix as they can't do anything about it, also joking about people who can't defend themselves is cowardly too.

Well it seems we're talking about 2 different things, i'm talking about comedy but you're talking about abuse.

Calling someone fat is NOT comedy. It's an insult. We're definitely talking about 2 different things here. I didn't see Miguel Torres abuse anyone here either.

Whether is funy or offensive or not isn't the point really. I didn't think it was funny but I also wasn't offended by it. It'd take a lot to offend me anyway. But the thing is, he very nearly lost his job permanently because of a similar comment. You'd think he'd have the cop on to just watch what he tweets!

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    Whether is funy or offensive or not isn't the point really. I didn't think it was funny but I also wasn't offended by it. It'd take a lot to offend me anyway. But the thing is, he very nearly lost his job permanently because of a similar comment. You'd think he'd have the cop on to just watch what he tweets!

True. As I said, I see the UFC's point of view on this and he's an idiot for risking his job again.

But I was replying to the faux outrage in the OP and by people in general. it's Joe Duffy stuff!

Wanting to see someone fired because they make an ambiguous comment that may or may not be about rape is pretty pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Faux outrage. You wouldn't feel so apathetic towards this if someone in your family was a victim of rape.

Fairly typical stuff from you tbh, you always go against the grain just to be awkward.

The guy's an idiot. He did it once and got away with it, did it again show's he's a clueless imbecile.

If I start making holocaust jokes, or nigger jokes, or jokes about people with down syndrome, or jokes about wheelchairs is it ok to do so cause it's in the name of comedy?

Faux outrage. You wouldn't feel so apathetic towards this if someone in your family was a victim of rape.

That's true! I'd feel differently.

For example, I find jokes about a lot of "close to the knuckle" things funny. But earlier Cowzerp mentioned autism. Now, I didn't want to get into it at the time because, as I said, it seemed myself and Paul were talking about 2 different things.

But what I WAS gonna say is: I have an autistic brother. I don't find jokes about autism funny! But so what? My friend of a friend (who doesn't know my brother) made a joke about autism only last night, what's the big deal? I didn't find it funny. The guy didn't insult my brother. He didn't do anything on purpose.

I certainly didn't try to get him fired from his job. That would be stupid! Why would I want him fired from his job because he made a joke in bad taste?
    Fairly typical stuff from you tbh, you always go against the grain just to be awkward.

Not true. When I post my opinion on here I ALWAYS make an effort to back it up. Going against the grain to be awkward would be trolling.

Anyway, I have no idea why this is about me all of a sudden. If you don't like me, so be it!
    The guy's an idiot. He did it once and got away with it, did it again show's he's a clueless imbecile.

Maybe.
    If I start making holocaust jokes

Why did Hitler kill himself?

He saw the size of his gas bill!

Please don't get me fired!
    or nigger jokes

"******" jokes?
    or jokes about people with down syndrome

Bad taste of course. So what?
    or jokes about wheelchairs is it ok to do so cause it's in the name of comedy?

I dunno about you, but i'm a big fan of The IT Crowd. The disabled episode was beyond hilarious!

This scene, i nearly wept laughing so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I don't find ''humour'' funny when it is at the expense of the weak and the defenceless.

For example:

I think it's ok to make a joke about someone who is too lazy to get up off their ass; I don't think it is ok to make a joke about someone in a wheelchair who physically cannot get up off their ass.

Miguel Torres has belittled rape victims everywhere twice now.

"They should never say stop, no, and don't. What you should hear is no don't stop."

He's a disgusting individual, and if some lad down the pub said it I wouldn't write to his boss formally complaining (I'd prob come onto after hours complaining as I have done here - note I have not written to Dana white complaining) Miguel Torres is a public figure representing UFC and shouldn't be condoning rape in any way shape or form.

I don't find ''humour'' funny when it is at the expense of the weak and the defenceless.

I think it's ok to make a joke about someone who is too lazy to get up off their ass; I don't think it is ok to make a joke about someone in a wheelchair who physically cannot get up off their ass.

And that's your opinion.

I don't find Two and a Half Men funny! Humour is subjective!

Miguel Torres has belittled rape victims everywhere twice now.

Wrong. The first one was quote from a TV show. They were not his words. He just quoted them.

"Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city."

Did I just "Condone" rape? Theft? Violence?

That's pretty ambiguous. It really could be about a number of things.
    Miguel Torres is a public figure representing UFC and shouldn't be condoning rape in any way shape or form.

Making a joke is not condoning anything.

Was I condoning the holocaust earlier by making a Hitler's gas-bill joke?

I didn't realise I was subscribed to the "What is and isn't acceptable as a joke" forum.
    Talk about a thread going off on one!!

Dean09 wrote: »
    I didn't realise I was subscribed to the "What is and isn't acceptable as a joke" forum.
    Talk about a thread going off on one!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If this was anyone else other than Torres people wouldnt read it as a rape joke but would see the never give up side instead.

Torres should of known better to post something that may be taken the wrong way. But people are being a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

If I start making holocaust jokes, or nigger jokes, or jokes about people with down syndrome, or jokes about wheelchairs is it ok to do so cause it's in the name of comedy?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

It's a joke, that's all, he hasn't commited a crime, just made a 140 character joke

The PC brigade is way out of control

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

To anyone not a reactionary moron, the tweet is plainly a overt comment on how to pleasure a lady. I think people should get off Miguel's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Miguel is clearly talking about a fighters mentality. imagine a fighter stacked against the cage getting G n P'd. instead of just flailing your hands above you saying no, stop, or don't. You should be saying no don't stop letting the ref know, even if you are getting beat, you still have a will to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

empacher wrote: »
    Miguel is clearly talking about a fighters mentality. imagine a fighter stacked against the cage getting G n P'd. instead of just flailing your hands above you saying no, stop, or don't. You should be saying no don't stop letting the ref know, even if you are getting beat, you still have a will to win.
    Buddy, it's absolutely about coitus, not fighting.

How anyone can see either rape or mma in that tweet is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

This is the problem with Twitter bonuses. He obviously wanted to say something controversial, but made it ambiguous enough that he could claim it was about fighting.

Buddy, it's absolutely about coitus, not fighting.

How anyone can see either rape or mma in that tweet is beyond me.

I think it's about being a DJ!

When you're banging out the tunes, they shouldn't say "No", Don't" or "Stop"............ they should say NO DON'T STOP!!

They they'd probably inform you how there is an impending emergency as the roof has somehow become ablaze, however, the seemingly unconcerned party dwellers don't need no water, they would like to let the fire burn.

Advertisement