Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English tution fees for existing degree holder?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello I got accepted onto a degree course in England and am in the process of applying for the tution fee loan. I already have a degree which I completed in UCC straight after finishing secondary school. Does anyone know how this will affect my application for funding. Theres no way id be able to afford to pay for it myself.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

Get Carter wrote: »
    Hello I got accepted onto a degree course in England and am in the process of applying for the tution fee loan. I already have a degree which I completed in UCC straight after finishing secondary school. Does anyone know how this will affect my application for funding. Theres no way id be able to afford to pay for it myself.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm not quite sure, it depends if you are moving up to a higher degree level, there is a rule for UK students in that if you move on to another undergraduate degree at the same level you will have to pay fees for certain years. To put into context, my friend has just completed 3 years of a science degree and is now doing 5 years on medicine. She will have to fund the fees for years 1-3 on the medical course, however in years 4 and 5 she will be eligible for a tuition fee loan as she has not received payment for a 4th and 5th year in the past.

Student finance UK are the best option to contact, especially the EU students department, though if you're filling out forms etc now then you probably already have the information for them.

All depends too on whether you are doing an health degree eg nursing, radiography, physio. You get the fees paid by the NHS here. If so then you probably are eligible, I know I was after completing a undergraduate degree and then moving on to Radiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Don't worry, already having a degree which they did not pay for does not affect your eligibility for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Hi Pow Wow,

Is your last point true? I started college in Ireland, never completed 1st year and dropped out in 2007, so would I still be eligible for tuition fee loan from the UK? I have accepted a place on an undergrad course in Canterbury and the tuition fee loan is the last thing I'm waiting on but don't know if they'll refuse based on the above.

Thanks,
    Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes Ross, it is. As the SLC did not fund your previous study, it does not affect your loan application.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Thanks PowWow, big weight off my shoulders now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement