Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help! Build issues!

Options
  • 12-05-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey, I put together my new rig yesterday. Everything runs smoothly apart from the HDD! It doesnt even show up in my computer??!!

I re-checked all the cables and they seemed fine. Then again, ive never built a pc before!

This is the way ive set it up:

1) My optical drive is connected through blue sata wire, to sata input, and also to psu.
    2)Same goes for my ssd.
    3) Then my hdd is connected via black cable to sata input and also connected to psu.

I was given 2 black and 2 blue sata cables with my motherboard. one set is 6gb, the other, 3gb. Not sure which...and im not sure if this makes any difference either.

Can anyone shed some light on this please. :confused::confused::confused: Thanks a million!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Right-click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Right-click drive -> Create new volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭phillo74

Serephucus wrote: »
    Right-click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Right-click drive -> Create new volume.

hey, when i go into disk managment it shows my ssd under disk 0 and then, under disk 2, it says 921gb unallocated...which i can only presume is my 1tb hdd!! but i cant seem to create new volume like u say. Still, if that is indeed my hdd thats showing up, at least thats something! What shud i do now tho?? By the way, thanks for the input!

What options do you get when you right-click on that unallocated space? There should be a "New volume" type option.

Never mind. i got it!!! You, sir, are a legend!!!!!! :D

What options do you get when you right-click on that unallocated space? There should be a "New volume" type option.

sorry dude, but since i changed all that, my machine wont shut down properly. its just stays on the shutdown screen until i force shutdown from the tower. im fearing that, because i have windows installed on my ssd, that i might have done something wrong in the hdd set up thats conflicting with it. what should i do? :confused:

• Advertisement

Did you create a simple volume?

Did you create a simple volume?
    yip

I'm actually not sure. My GF's laptop has this same problem. It was running fine with a single SSD, and with two HDDs, but when I installed one of the HDDs as a storage drive, it doesn't want to shutdown. Haven't figured out what the issue is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you only built it then maybe a fresh install of Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

When you first installed the OS did you have both the SSD and HD plugged in?

• Advertisement

okay, here's whats happened so far. I did what you said with the initial hdd problem. sound. hadn't restarted my pc yet. then i decided to try my turtle beach headset. it needed to install itself, after which it needed to restart. so i restarted. that's when it got stuck. but i figured i might have done something wrong in the hdd set up, not even considering the problem could have been caused by something as simple as connecting a headset! so, what i did next was disconnect the hdd in the case and just had the system boot up on the ssd. so it booted up....but it still freezes on the shut down screen. leading me to believe that the d*mn headset might have something to do with it. then again, i havent got a clue! Fairly worried now.....

also, i uninstalled the headset since from the device manager. still, no dice...

When you first installed the OS did you have both the SSD and HD plugged in?
    both were plugged in ya. but i only knew where to find the hdd on my desktop after this thread. but i'd installed the os on the ssd.

phillo74 wrote: »
    both were plugged in ya. but i only knew where to find the hdd on my desktop after this thread. but i'd installed the os on the ssd.

Yeah, you should of had only the SSD plugged in when the OS was installed.This would have prevented the installer from installing the Windows 7 boot partition on another drive in the system
    Go to 3:30, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6091D3C8AD25CDA7

Yeah, you should of had only the SSD plugged in when the OS was installed.This would have prevented the installer from installing the Windows 7 boot partition on another drive in the system
    Go to 3:30, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6091D3C8AD25CDA7

so what should i do? sorry about this. i dont have a clue what im at basically...

You can try a reinstall*, might fix it in your case, but I had only the SSD plugged in when I did my GF's laptop and that didn't help it.

* If you do go down the reinstall route, just make sure to wipe the mechanical drive (assuming there's nothing on there already that you need backed up) before shutting down, plug out the mechanical drive, then install Windows as normal on the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can try start up repair
    Plug everything back in and load the Win7 Disc
    Instead of install click repair my computer and try the Start Up Repair,if after 3 attemps it fails to work,try a reinstall.

Plug everything back in (headset,hdd,ssd)
    Go into bios and make sure it boots in ACHI mode and not IDE
    Put Win7 Disc in>Install>Custom>Format SSD>Install to SSD

When it boots> Search Box> Disk Management
    Right Click HDD and assign it a name if it hasn't one.

Download all the reliability updates through MS Update an any important ones for your PC (not the security updates).

Reboot.

Continue installing after that.

Also,
    -Enable AHCI SATA mode in the UEFI/BIOS
    -Check and see if there is an update to the firmware of your SSD
    - do not use the Marvell or other 3rd party SATA ports for your SSD
    -Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFyEeNn-hk&feature=player_embedded#!

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    try a reinstall.

Plug everything back in (headset,hdd,ssd)
    Go into bios and make sure it boots in ACHI mode and not IDE
    Put Win7 Disc in>Install>Custom>Format SSD>Install to SSD

I would only plug in the keyboard and mouse when installing your OS.

Advertisement