Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Limerick to Letterkenny

Options
  • 11-05-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

A friend and I are doing a cycle for Motor neurone desease from Limerick to Letterkenny on the 1st of June and are looking for people to come and join us for parts of the journey (as much or little as you want). We will be leaving Limerick at 09:30 Friday morning and heading through Nenagh up to Portumna for Lunch. After Lunch we will be heading up to Roscommon where we be booking into a hotel for the night, budget hotel suggestions welcome :). We will be leaving Roscommon at 09:30 Saturday morning and heading up through Boyle to Sligo for lunch then onto Bundoran for the night, again hotel suggestions welcome:) Sunday we will be leaving Bundoran at 09:30 then heading to Ballyboffey for Lunch then finally onto Letterkenny (accommodation already arranged).

I intend to post progress as we arrive at stops on Facebook.

This will not be a quick cycle, we are expecting to average 14 to 15 mph over the course of each day. A map of the route can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211411084102502134472.0004be93b0a00c1f8daf7&msa=0&ll=55.128649,-7.261963&spn=3.430118,6.580811

What would also be good for us is info on the roads we are taking, the terrain and also the condition of the road surfaces.

For details of the charity please see my page at the following link:
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/vincent_mcgarveys_event/

If you are interested in joining us or even just following our progress send me a friend request, my Facebook name is vmcgarvey and I live in Limerick. I suppose it goes without saying that sponsorship is also very welcome!

Vince

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vince_Mc

Vince_Mc wrote: »
    A friend and I are doing a cycle for Motor neurone desease from Limerick to Letterkenny on the 1st of June and are looking for people to come and join us for parts of the journey (as much or little as you want). We will be leaving Limerick at 09:30 Friday morning and heading through Nenagh up to Portumna for Lunch. After Lunch we will be heading up to Roscommon where we be booking into a hotel for the night, budget hotel suggestions welcome :). We will be leaving Roscommon at 09:30 Saturday morning and heading up through Boyle to Sligo for lunch then onto Bundoran for the night, again hotel suggestions welcome:) Sunday we will be leaving Bundoran at 09:30 then heading to Ballyboffey for Lunch then finally onto Letterkenny (accommodation already arranged).

I intend to post progress as we arrive at stops on Facebook.

This will not be a quick cycle, we are expecting to average 14 to 15 mph over the course of each day. A map of the route can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211411084102502134472.0004be93b0a00c1f8daf7&msa=0&ll=55.128649,-7.261963&spn=3.430118,6.580811

What would also be good for us is info on the roads we are taking, the terrain and also the condition of the road surfaces.

For details of the charity please see my page at the following link:
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/vincent_mcgarveys_event/

If you are interested in joining us or even just following our progress send me a friend request, my Facebook name is vmcgarvey and I live in Limerick. I suppose it goes without saying that sponsorship is also very welcome!

Vince
    We have now arranged accommodation:
    Gleeson’s Townhouse and Restaurant, Market Square, Roscommon. Leaving 09:30 Saturday 2nd for Sligo then onto Bundoran
    Holyrood Hotel, Blue River Leisure Centre & Escape Spa, Bundoran. Leaving 09:30 Sunday morning for Ballybofey then onto Letterkenny

Run will start Friday morning at 09:30 from outside McDonalds on Cruises street limerick

Cycle from Limerick to Letterkenny starting at McDonalds on Cruises street at 09:30 Friday 1st June 2012. This is now a solo ride as the person doing it with me has had to drop out. If anybody has the time to join me for part (as much as you want) of the ride you will be more than welcome. I will be
    I will be posting my progress on Facebook if you want to see where I am. My Facebook name is vmcgarvey

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Best of luck, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Best of luck on the cycle, won't get to cycle along as on childminding duty till 12, but we will keep an eye for you and give a shout as you go pass.

There is a diversion on your route at Tulsk. Don't follow diversion signs. When you come to the crossroads turn left and as you leave the village turn right before speed limit sign. That road will bring you back unto main road again just after roadworks. On the map you posted you'll see the road marked as Grange if you zoom into Tulsk.

Made it to Bundoran in a reasonable time today. Will be leaving the Holyrood hotel at 10:30 instead of 9:30 as breakfast is not till 8:30.
    Vince_Mc wrote: »
    Cycle from Limerick to Letterkenny starting at McDonalds on Cruises street at 09:30 Friday 1st June 2012. This is now a solo ride as the person doing it with me has had to drop out. If anybody has the time to join me for part (as much as you want) of the ride you will be more than welcome. I will be
    I will be posting my progress on Facebook if you want to see where I am. My Facebook name is vmcgarvey

• Advertisement

sav1980 wrote: »
    Best of luck, hope it goes well for you.

Thank you for the support
    Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

best of luck fair play!

gmoorewest wrote: »
    Best of luck on the cycle, won't get to cycle along as on childminding duty till 12, but we will keep an eye for you and give a shout as you go pass.

There is a diversion on your route at Tulsk. Don't follow diversion signs. When you come to the crossroads turn left and as you leave the village turn right before speed limit sign. That road will bring you back unto main road again just after roadworks. On the map you posted you'll see the road marked as Grange if you zoom into Tulsk.

Thanks for the support and road advice.

Completed the run to Letterkenny today, hats off to the cyclists in Donegal, they must love hills!

Advertisement