Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gathering 2013

• 11-05-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

diaspora to come home to where the heart is.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny urged the 70 million people worldwide of Irish descent, and even those who just want a touch of Irishness, to make a trip to the Emerald Isle next year to be part of The Gathering 2013
    Villages and towns in every county have been urged to stage events celebrating their history to attract their long lost emigrants for a holiday back home.

The gathering 2013 were the same budget is given and spent but with the help of the people to organise and get people to go (through force if necessary),
    The government and tourism board are clearly idiots with no ideas, no plans no additional funding no big name faces no special events.
    Poor Planning to boost the tourism part of our economy:(
    Edited to show what The gathering is about ok brummytom Omackeral
    Sorry for un-informed post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I unreservedly agree *backs out of thread smiling and nodding*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Kony13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The gathering 2013 were the same budget is given and spent but with the help of the people to organise and get people to go (through force if necessary),
    The government and tourism board are clearly idiots with no ideas, no plans no additional funding no big name faces no special events.
    Poor Planning to boost the tourism part of our economy:(

May the force be with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Snipe wrote: »
    What

The

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Calls for diaspora to be part of ‘The Gathering 2013’ to boost tourism
    A call has been made to Ireland's diaspora to come home to where the heart is. Taoiseach Enda Kenny urged the 70 million people worldwide of Irish descent, and even those who just want a touch of Irishness, to make a trip to the Emerald Isle next year to be part of The Gathering 2013
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/calls-for-diaspora-to-be-part-of-the-gathering-2013-to-boost-tourism-3105170.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/
    The Gathering Ireland 2013 is about the people of Ireland throwing open our arms and inviting anyone with a connection to our country to come and visit.

It’s about asking anyone who has Irish blood, a link to Ireland, or even just a love of our country – to join us for a series of amazing and diverse events throughout 2013.

This is what the OP's talking about. Though what he's actually saying... not a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

biko wrote: »
    Calls for diaspora to be part of ‘The Gathering 2013’ to boost tourism
    A call has been made to Ireland's diaspora to come home to where the heart is. Taoiseach Enda Kenny urged the 70 million people worldwide of Irish descent, and even those who just want a touch of Irishness, to make a trip to the Emerald Isle next year to be part of The Gathering 2013
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/calls-for-diaspora-to-be-part-of-the-gathering-2013-to-boost-tourism-3105170.html

Thanks for posting in a readable manner, I'll use this as the OP instead!

I saw the Six One news this evening. They started with this cringe-inducing opening line. ''Everyone wants to be Irish.'' Emmm I'm pretty sure not everyone wants to be! How ignorant is that statement?

I reckon it'll just be an Ultra Paddy's Day with even more Plastics than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

mattjack wrote: »

what force, the force of 1/32th Irish Americans looking for pints of Guinness and me selling the wrong direction maps:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sounds like a pathetic attempt to get people to come here and say how much they love the Oirish, while fleecing them of their tourist dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

The Snipe wrote: »
    What?
    Lapin wrote: »
    The

FCUK :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Are they funding this or just expecting people to fundraise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Kenny basically saying he's bled dry the four million or so permanent residents of the island, and wants fresh blood.

Gee Chad, this Guinness is mighty fine, beats the stuff we're sold in Wisconsin.
    Sure does Bud, but it's mighty expensive at six euro and fifty cent a pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sounds like a pathetic attempt to get people to come here and say how much they love the Oirish, while fleecing them of their tourist dollar.

Exactly what I was about to say.

Its bangs of desperation and I find it embarrassing to be honest.

Tourists should want to come here because its good value (which its not), the culture (which is good), the craic (which we all know is mighty on a Saturday night in any A&E) etc. Not just because their budgie's second cousin thrice removed came from ballygodknowswhere...

As I said, I get why its being done but its pathetic and embarrassing all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sounds like a cheap horror film about a large amount of warlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Are they funding this or just expecting people to fundraise?

Generally yeah no increase in the tourism budget and they want villages and towns to organise events for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

mattjack wrote: »

And also with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Generally yeah no increase in the tourism budget and they want villages and towns to organise events for it

Well that's miserable..
    Here we have this great idea that will bring all these tourists in..

But that's it, an idea! U don't get anything else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Isnt the gathering some sort of card game played by young male pox riddled virgins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

diaspora to come home to where the heart is.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny urged the 70 million people worldwide of Irish descent, and even those who just want a touch of Irishness, to make a trip to the Emerald Isle next year to be part of The Gathering 2013

"Come home to Intern-land."

F.O.A.D Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I'm in :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is this like highlander?

If so I'm betting on the French lad pretending to be Scottish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Wait... I thought this type of celebration already existed. Don't you call it St. Patrick's Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bugger off Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Archeron wrote: »
    Sounds like a cheap horror film about a large amount of warlocks.

Or something directed by M.Night Shyamalan and featuring talking plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could have been a good idea, done with a bit more finesse and subtlety, but the sledgehammer approach has pretty well destroyed it before it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Greasy till motherf.u.c.ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Couldn't be arsed going myself; don't drink or have the crack so I'll sit at home and watch it on Saorview channel 1; like I do the paddys day parade and Authurs day celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A little lost as to what this is?!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

If I were still one of the Irish who'd been 'forced' abroad to find employment by a successive string of useless fuckwit governments I'd certainly be staying put and refusing to come 'home', at his urging, to spend my foreign earned currency let alone be 'forced' back again. Cnut! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Think canada/oz/uk is calling me....though still in Ireland :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jesus christ. Something's actually being done to boost tourism, help the economy and bring jobs to the country and people are complaining and calling it "embarrassing"? People are never happy. Fair dues, I hope it's a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Should we host the Olympics when the chance comes round? Probably not, but I just thought it was interesting we ran for it in 1936, the year the Nazis hosted it. Personally I think we should bring back the Tailteann games and to spice it up we could make a huge fuss and invite the top athletes Usain Bolt is the obvious one or Michael Phelps or whoever else are the elite athletes in their sports, we could have it every year in the summertime or every four years and offset it away from the Olympics. People would definitely come to it but it might not draw a crowd like the Olympics. And if people want to say ****e about the economy it's better than this stupid gathering crap

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/Home.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

the fudge. what is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They just need to be reminded of their duty to send parcels of food and clothing, along with a fleet of Brinks Mat security wagons full of gold bullion.

Why on earth would they want to make a personal visit, surely their ancestors made it known why they left here in the first place?

Advertisement