Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jedward-RTE Radio

Options
  • 11-05-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Is there some kind of new law after being enacted in RTE where Jedward have to be mentioned on every single show?

They were even mentioned in an interview between Pat Kenny and a US immigration lawyer. Now on Liveline in relation to the Olympics. It is just absolutely ludricous. Has anyone else noticed this or am I going off my head? Their act is so threadbare it's a wonder how they garner such publicity. I'd love for someone to conduct an extended 2 hour interview with them, their heads would probably expolde.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How about members of Rte have shares in the Jedward company and the better they do the more the members of RTE earn

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

They were on Morning Ireland today as well, it's absolutely ridiculous, as if RTE regard them as a modern version of Lennon & McCartney. And they've been asked to carry the Olympic torch???? Sheesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Can't wait for those two ultra annoying airheads to have their 'Milli Vanilli' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Overexposure that will lead to their popularity burning out in the near future. I suspect the lads to be a couple of alcoholics with a heroin problem before they're thirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

At which stage some fossil in RTE will drag them out for their "comeback" concert.

(wonder will they still be talking like nine year olds with an ailment when they get to the big 3-0?....... but maybe that's for another day...)

As regards OP, well observed. It's as if there's been a compulsory order issued by the Montrose mandarins to promote this pair of talentless jackasses at every given opportunity.

Meanwhile, and certainly by comparison, kids with genuine talent up and down the country are roundly ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Lowest common denominator I suppose. RTE have been scraping the bottom of the barrell for years now when it comes to "entertainment".

I just hope once Eurovision is over, we never hear from Jedward again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Seven posts and not even a mention of The Mooney Their Own Show.

Wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I've been living in the UK. Haven't heard crap about Jedward - thank **** for that.

Sure, their supposed popularity will be perpetrated in small and insignificant circles across Ireland, but the rest of the world won't give a toss.

Celebrity status in Ireland is like being the most popular kid in senior infants class 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

vard wrote: »
    Celebrity status in Ireland is like being the most popular kid in senior infants class 2.

You've just tapped into the Jedward Target audience :D

......and of course "small and insignificant circles across Ireland" that sums up the RTE "celebrity" obsessed mentality perfectly.

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Can't wait for those two ultra annoying airheads to have their 'Milli Vanilli' moment.

or a Mark Chapman moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've wondered about this for a while...seem to remember marty whelan taking every opportunity he could to praise the hell out of them in and around eurovision time last year (and, for that matter, on that weird late late show where they selected the entry for this year). He seemed determined to tell everyone how amazing they are, based entirely on the fact that they are really nice lads. I would have thought that some sort of singing ability and, god forbid, some sort of coordination (of either individual's limbs or between the two of them) would be more important for an act like theirs, but not so in this case.

I'm all for showing support to local lads especially when they appear to work pretty hard, but the airtime these lads get is way, way out of proportion with their severely limited talents.

And dont give me "the kids love them" b*llocks. Kids love plenty of crap, but i dont remember the late late being built around Ben10 (or whatever that yoke is called).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Russell_James

The Jedward obsession is this months topic of choice.

The last few months has been The Voice of ireland being discussed at every available opportunity.

I bet once July comes along, every show won't be aired without profiling an Olympic athlete representing Ireland.

It is lazy content creation.

What the hell??

Just went over to the tv forum to see who is on the late late tonight, and lo and behold, there they are, top of the list?!

This is ludicrous. I guess eurovision must be on soon, or something, but jeez louise surely there must be someone more substantial out there for tubridy to interview?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

They're on Playback now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've wondered about this for a while...seem to remember marty whelan taking every opportunity he could to praise the hell out of them in and around eurovision time last year (and, for that matter, on that weird late late show where they selected the entry for this year). He seemed determined to tell everyone how amazing they are, based entirely on the fact that they are really nice lads.

tubridy was at the same craic this week with some band called the stripes. Said that they are really nice lads, decent, mannerly and well brought up and that he would like to do well in some record company audition happening later that day in London. Half of RTE's DJs seem to be in Louis Walsh's pocket. I'm sure the other acts in the Eurovision qualification stage must have been pee'd off with the way tubridy, Mooney and Whelan all promoted Jedward before the Eurosong final. RTE released this photo before the final. Apparently these clowns say that they are from the UK when they are in America so i'm not sure if they are even fit to represent this country abroad.

TUBS3-630x449.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dechecho

ghiertal wrote: »
    tubridy was at the same craic this week with some band called the stripes. Said that they are really nice lads, decent, mannerly and well brought up and that he would like to do well in some record company audition happening later that day in London. Half of RTE's DJs seem to be in Louis Walsh's pocket. I'm sure the other acts in the Eurovision qualification stage must have been pee'd off with the way tubridy, Mooney and Whelan all promoted Jedward before the Eurosong final. RTE released this photo before the final. Apparently these clowns say that they are from the UK when they are in America so i'm not sure if they are even fit to represent this country abroad.

BIB - I don't think there is any truth in this at all! I've seen them interviewed a few times on US TV recently and they have always said that they are Irish. Americans sometimes mistake their accent for British (which is ironic as in the UK they get accused of sounding American!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I hope Borat's family capture them and eat them when they go to the sausagefest contest in Kazakhstan or wherever it is. Two hyperactive airheads. Louise Walsh has a lot to answer for. He should be in the European criminal court for crimes against hearing. 14 years of Westshìte, and now these weirdos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

dechecho wrote: »
    BIB - I don't think there is any truth in this at all! I've seen them interviewed a few times on US TV recently and they have always said that they are Irish. Americans sometimes mistake their accent for British (which is ironic as in the UK they get accused of sounding American!)

by whom? Louis as he's tagging them ;)

talent is a requirement of US success

a first poster one poster defender, that's interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dechecho

my friend wrote: »
    a first poster one poster defender, that's interesting !

Yeah I'm a Jedward fan, so what? And guess what else - I'm not Irish so I shouldn't even be on here :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ShelleyJ

Jedwards path is a strange and difficult one.
    Sometimes nature plays tricks on us and we imagine we are something other than what we truly are

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

JEDWARD engaged in a little name-dropping as they jogged along Hollywood Boulevard to complete the Los Angeles marathon at the weekend.
    Asked who they were by a local TV station, the 'X Factor' sensations replied: "We're Jedward, we came all the way from the UK and Ireland... and we met Barack Obama in Ireland."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/jedward-take-leading-roles-in-hollywood-as-they-complete-the-la-marathon-3054783.html

So these two fairies are getting endless free publicity on Irish public radio but they are too ashamed to say that they are Irish when they go abroad.

ghiertal wrote: »
    JEDWARD engaged in a little name-dropping as they jogged along Hollywood Boulevard to complete the Los Angeles marathon at the weekend.
    Asked who they were by a local TV station, the 'X Factor' sensations replied: "We're Jedward, we came all the way from the UK and Ireland... and we met Barack Obama in Ireland."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/jedward-take-leading-roles-in-hollywood-as-they-complete-the-la-marathon-3054783.html

So these two fairies are getting endless free publicity on Irish public radio but they are too ashamed to say that they are Irish when they go abroad.

I have done a little digging...

http://www.lamarathon.com/

the only Grimes that finished the LA Marathon was a 63 year old Jim Grimes, I think the 2 fairy boys just jumped in on the Boulevard, I note the absence of Race Numbers on them....

jedward-marathon-i_1030785t.jpg

Attention Seeking Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

It is incredible the level of begrudgery and incessant complaining you get from people with regard to Jedward. They are two young fellas who do not drink alcohol, campaign against drug use and also bullying.

People always criticise the young people of today, yet these two lads are the complete opposite of binge-drinking, drug-using sociopaths.

Jedward will always be in the news and media. Get over your pathetic nagging and jealousy. They're there for the long-term.

The anti-Jedward brigade are getting pretty pathetic and laughable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

my friend wrote: »
    I have done a little digging...

http://www.lamarathon.com/

the only Grimes that finished the LA Marathon was a 63 year old Jim Grimes, I think the 2 fairy boys just jumped in on the Boulevard, I note the absence of Race Numbers on them....

Attention Seeking Fail

Good spot. The only Irish person that finished was a 32 year old man from Dublin.

So it's complete nonsense. However, this kind of thing goes on in the entertainment industry the whole time - it's anything to keep someone's profile up. Louis Walsh has even admitted to doing that in the past.

One only has to think of talentless people like Jordan to see how it's done. (Is she ever off supermarket checkout magazines?)

Papers don't refuse ink, and it's quick and easy to copy and paste a press release.
    It is incredible the level of begrudgery and incessant complaining you get from people with regard to Jedward. They are two young fellas who do not drink alcohol, campaign against drug use and also bullying.

People always criticise the young people of today, yet these two lads are the complete opposite of binge-drinking, drug-using sociopaths.

Jedward will always be in the news and media. Get over your pathetic nagging and jealousy. They're there for the long-term.

The anti-Jedward brigade are getting pretty pathetic and laughable at this stage.

My opinion on these two lads is that I find them mildly amusing. I've no doubt that they are nice young fellas and that's one of the reasons why people don't mind helping them out.

However, their "talent", such as it is, is fairly limited and I believe they are getting over-exposed - particularly on RTE radio, leading to fatigue.

I mean, there's only so often you can hear something described as "coooooool" and "amAAAAAAAAAzing" etc. before you get pretty tired of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tasteless, but I love it :pac: Maybe they'll go up like the Olympic torch with all that gel in their hair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Few will argue that the twins are a clean living pair of lads with good heads on their shoulders.
    And I don't have a problem with them exploiting whatever market they can sell their brand to.

But lets not confuse popularity with talent here.

Brand Jedward are a product and there is a market out there for what they sell.

But they cannot sing.
    And thats what annoys me about RTÉ's sycophantic fawning over them in recent weeks. Our state broadcaster is sending them to the worlds biggest song contest at the expense of someone with genuine talent.

I wish them luck but I wouldn't be naive enough to think they're here for the long term. (In their current guise anyway).

Popularity wanes over time. Talent, on the other hand is permanent.

Just look at any of Louis Walsh's former "projects".

Lapin wrote: »

Just look at any of Louis Walsh's former "projects".

Don't be so cynical. Sure didn't i see that band Six on the tv a few weeks ago?

Now what was the name of the show they were on again? Oh yeah, The Late Late Show. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Overexposure that will lead to their popularity burning out in the near future. I suspect the lads to be a couple of alcoholics with a heroin problem before they're thirty.
    With bulging bank accounts too !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ShelleyJ

Eyes are the mirror of the soul, someone has said

Advertisement