Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC boot up time taking a long time

Options
  • 10-05-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've win 7 x64bit and noticed the past few weeks the the boot up time has increased from slow to slower, like 5 minutes today when I turned it on.

Any tips for me to get it starting up much faster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I've win 7 x64bit and noticed the past few weeks the the boot up time has increased from slow to slower, like 5 minutes today when I turned it on.

Any tips for me to get it starting up much faster?

Give Autoruns a try and see if there's anything useless starting in the background on bootup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Give Autoruns a try and see if there's anything useless starting in the background on bootup.

I just unclick anything I don't want starting up I presume? What about applications that might cause problems with the system if I uncheck them?

Under the "everything" tab there's loads of stuff clicked. Don't know what to uncheck or leave as it is.

I just unclick anything I don't want starting up I presume? What about applications that might cause problems with the system if I uncheck them?

Under the "everything" tab there's loads of stuff clicked. Don't know what to uncheck or leave as it is.

Go to Options --> Filter Options..... and check "Hide Microsoft entries". If these are greyed out, it means that the program hasn't started as Administrator.

You'll have to go through each entry. Some could be for special functions on your keyboard, others could be programs just loading themselves into RAM to give the appearance that they load quicker than they actually do (i.e. OpenOffice, Adobe Reader). The latter are okay to remove, but if you're not sure search for the name of the program if you're not sure what it does.

Go to Options --> Filter Options..... and check "Hide Microsoft entries". If these are greyed out, it means that the program hasn't started as Administrator.

You'll have to go through each entry. Some could be for special functions on your keyboard, others could be programs just loading themselves into RAM to give the appearance that they load quicker than they actually do (i.e. OpenOffice, Adobe Reader). The latter are okay to remove, but if you're not sure search for the name of the program if you're not sure what it does.

When you say ok to remove, do you mean uncheck them in autoruns or right click and delete?

What will the end result be of disabling a few of these programs that I know I don't want running? Will they still function when I manually double click their shortcut on desktop?

When you say ok to remove, do you mean uncheck them in autoruns or right click and delete?

What will the end result be of disabling a few of these programs that I know I don't want running? Will they still function when I manually double click their shortcut on desktop?

Just uncheck them. It just means that the programs that would have loaded in the background during startup now have to load into memory fully the first time they're launched. They'll take a little bit longer to load, but that's about it afaik.

• Advertisement

Still takes over 5 mins from starting the computer until I'm able to go online, and still the hard drive seems to be loading stuff when I do get online.

Have no idea really about what to do as I don't want to start clicking everything without knowing what I'm doing.

All I know is that its pissing me right off having to wait over 5 mins from pressing the on button to be able to use the computer.

Any help folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you checked that you have not got more than one anti-virus programme running?

FSL wrote: »
    Have you checked that you have not got more than one anti-virus programme running?

Yes, I only use Avast.

Anyway I can find out what stuff on my computer I don't need that I can uninstall safely?

Any other suggestions lads?

I'd basically like to find out what was in the program file list when I set up my pc initially, so that I'd be able to delete stuff that I don't recognise/know the names of but yet be confident that its not going to damage my machine be deleting.

I should have taken a screen shot of the control panel "installed" programs from day 1 so that I'd know this information.

Advertisement