Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation/Grammar Questions Thread

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Okay, here's a thread for any translation related questions (be it Eng->Jap or vice versa) or general questions about grammar or whatever.

My 1st question is: What is the intransitive counterpart of the transitive verb 作る? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Konata wrote: »
    Okay, here's a thread for any translation related questions (be it Eng->Jap or vice versa) or general questions about grammar or whatever.

My 1st question is: What is the intransitive counterpart of the transitive verb 作る? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

just use the passive 作られる pretty much the same thing right?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Not all verbs form transitive-intransitive pairs! You may as well ask what is the transitive counterpart of "sit" or "go".

I have to say, transitive-intransitive pairs (and specifically, remembering which is which) is one of the trickiest aspects of learning Japanese for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

hibby wrote: »
    Not all verbs form transitive-intransitive pairs! You may as well ask what is the transitive counterpart of "sit" or "go".

I have to say, transitive-intransitive pairs (and specifically, remembering which is which) is one of the trickiest aspects of learning Japanese for me.

Mmmm, I know but I felt like I had learnt it before and then couldn't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Maybe you could use "dekiru"? for example

"tamagoyaki wa tamago kara dekite imasu." or
    "kono biri wa saikin dekima****a"

does that make sense or is it just making sense to me?

I'll try and find an answer to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

just-joe wrote: »
    Maybe you could use "dekiru"? for example

"tamagoyaki wa tamago kara dekite imasu." or
    "kono biri wa saikin dekima****a"

does that make sense or is it just making sense to me?

I'll try and find an answer to this.

Dekiru! That's the one I had heard of before.

It was in a song from an anime. The girl sings "Tsukurimashou" while she's baking and then when it's done she goes "Dekima****a!" so that kinda makes sense. Tsukuru is used at the start in a transitive sense where she's saying "Let's make [something]" and then dekiru used intransitively to say "It is made".

Would my understanding of that be correct? >_<

• Advertisement
Advertisement