Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed/Line Speed in Beinn Aoibhinn

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so mate recently moved in there and SMART said the line was capable of 24mb but its not!

after much back and forth he finds out that its actually only 6-8ish for some odd reason. Was just wondering if anyone knows of similer issues in that area?

We were looking at the line yesterday and we noticed that there is the phone cable running behind the house but instead of going straight to the house it drops down through the bushes seemingly underground, up the neighbours drainpipe into their house and somewhere it comes back into his which seems a fairly fecking long way and possibly the cable length could be partly to blame for speed and ping issues.

So as the line is technically working Eircom won't send anyone out and because he has no phone he can't check for crackles on the line which would mean a fault.

So question is do people know exactly how the wires come into these houses, where there might be a connection (to test a smaller length cable in the house and see if thats at fault) and does anyone in the area get a quicker speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In relation to the cable itself it was common practice for Eircom to take a connection from an underground cable (at a manhole) and run that connection through someones back yard and up the rear wall of the house and connect it to a splitter box that would be located on the soffit.

From the splitter/distribution box they would then run individual lines under the soffit to adjoining houses (terraced) or next door (semi-d)

If you know any of the guys in Eircom maybe have a quick word "unofficially" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I doubt the line was capable of 24mb. I may be wrong though. I used to live up across from Pramerica and I had the 10mb package. And I think I was just at the limit for the distance from the exchange before the speed started dropping. Was a great connection though. Mate of mine lived just a bit further up the road and could just get 8mb. So its quite possibly the distance. Unless things have changed since I had Smart. (Wish I still had it :()

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

We just moved up to Gortlee, not in Beinn Aoibhinn but with Smart-will I get himself to show me how to check speeds????

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

This graph is from an American crowd but think its valid with regards to distance and speeds. I was just over about 2.5k from exchange and I was getting 10mb. Which looks about right on this. For 24mb you'd need to be pretty close. Open to correction on this of course!

We just moved up to Gortlee, not in Beinn Aoibhinn but with Smart-will I get himself to show me how to check speeds????

If you want to do that you can do two things.

1). Go to your routers home page (usually 192.168.1.1 but not always) in your browser and look for a sync speed. Should be an upload and download.

2). Go to Speedtest.net and do a speed test to Derry or something. (Not always 100% accurate but can give a rough idea).

• Advertisement

chris_ie wrote: »
    If you want to do that you can do two things.

1). Go to your routers home page (usually 192.168.1.1 but not always) in your browser and look for a sync speed. Should be an upload and download.

2). Go to Speedtest.net and do a speed test to Derry or something. (Not always 100% accurate but can give a rough idea).

Thanks Chris(I did know how to do it :D)

We are on the 10mg package, we got a download speed of 9.87 from Dublin, always check from West Coast America too and get 6.89 from there. Ours is a brand new line only fitted about 5 weeks ago when we moved house

Thanks Chris(I did know how to do it :D)

We are on the 10mg package, we got a download speed of 9.87 from Dublin, always check from West Coast America too and get 6.89 from there. Ours is a brand new line only fitted about 5 weeks ago when we moved house

Ah sorry, thought you didnt when you said would you get someone to show you :D Sorry!

Sounds like what I used to get. Thing I miss most about Smart is no contention. On wireless broadband now, should be able to get 50mb (contended though) package once everything is upgraded but at the minute getting between 4-10. But better than eircom!!

chris_ie wrote: »
    Ah sorry, thought you didn when you said would you get someone to show you :D Sorry!

Sounds like what I used to get. Thing I miss most about Smart is no contention. On wireless broadband now, should be able to get 50mb (contended though) package once everything is upgrade but at the minute getting between 4-10. But better than eircom!!

Ah I did, like to let him think I know nothing!! Keep him happy!!

I have not a clue about speeds, but I did the test while he is online playing Call of Duty, don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Advertisement