Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip in Education Maynooth

Options
  • 09-05-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,I am going to do a HDip in Education in Maynooth this September 2012.Just wondering can anyone tell me what does the course involve in the Maynooth part.I know I will have teaching practice on Monday & Friday.Is there a lot of work involved?I will have a 2 hour commute each way and am dreading having lots of assignments and work in the evenings as I don't know where I am going to fit it all into the day.I have to small kids just gone 2 and 1 year old. I'm trying to look to the future and in the long run it will be worth it,but I am dreading the thought of it at the minute.I am so nervous at the thought of teaching too, I'm sure once I get into it I'll be fine.Sorry for the long rant,just hope someone can enlighten me on their experience of the Hdip in Maynooth and their teaching practice.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I did the PGDE in Maynooth a couple of years ago so hopefully this helps.

The 3 days in Maynooth involve attending lectures, methodologies and tutorials. Not sure if the timetable is the same, but when i was there, lectures started at 10am.

Can i ask where you are doing your teaching practice? When i was there you had to be within a 40mile radius of Maynooth. If you think you're gonna find it difficult to get work done in the evenings after a commute, you can look into staying on campus on a part-time basis. A few people in my year did that and they found it helpful.

As for the teaching practice, it's nerve-racking at the start, but remember you're there to learn, so don't expect to get everything right.

It's a tough year, but enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hdip

Thanks very much for your reply.I got a placement near home so that part is ok.Do you have any kids,or did you know many doing the course with small children,how did they find it?
    Did you always want to teach?I applied for the course last November thinking I probably wouldn't get it. I'm freaking out at the thought of teaching.How can they just let you teach a class after just 2 weeks of observation!
    Are you working at the moment?Do you like it?Sorry for the million questions.I don't think staying over in Maynooth will be an option for me with my 2 small children,as much as Id love to.Thanks again for replying,greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I'm just about to finish the course now. Only have 3 exams to do. The course itself is quite full on but if you keep on top of the workload you should be fine. Although daunting at first I've found it has flown by.

Yeah stepping into a classroom for your first time and teaching is quite scary but you will have a week or two of observing before you start which will let you see how things work and pick up some useful tips. You will get the hang of it fairly quick. You need to do up lesson plans for each class which can take up some time. I had 8 classes a week,4 monday and 4 friday.

College during the week wasn't too bad. Some lectures were just pointless but usually I would start 10/11 and out by 4 with late evening once a week for methodology. It is mainly continuous assessment so there will be lots of assignments esp in the second semester but like I said you are given plenty of time to do these and really just need to keep working on them.

Overall it was a tough year but I did enjoy it and you do learn quite alot about the profession. Any other questions just ask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm almost finished the dip, although not in Maynooth. It'll be a challenge, just make sure you stay on top of things and don't suddenly need to write 27 lesson plans when an inspector is about. I usually found one weekend day was taken up writing schemes/plans/reflections and the other was rest. What are you subjects?

Thanks for the replies guys,my Subjects are Biology and Junior Cert Science,what are yours?Do you know what time the latest class for those would be in the evenings by any chance?I rang the college and asked had they the timetable and they said no.Just need to organize a minder for my kids.They are my biggest worry.Trying to be positive about the whole hdip!

• Advertisement

Judging by this yeears timetable you would be in till 5/6 on a tuesday dependingon what group your in. Thats the methodolgy for science ( so biology would be lumped in) would you be taking an extra methodology like c.s.p.e or s.p.h.e! Can you teach maths with your degree? I'm doing history and maths myself.

wolfyboy555 I honestly don't know what other subject I can teach.Where can I find out?Is it the Teaching Council or do I ask Maynooth?I have a feeling it will be maths

Well what was your undergrad degree? You can check he to see if it is recognised.http://www.pac.ie/pdeinfo/recogniseddegrees.php

I have to look into that wolfboy555,will get back to you.What is c.s.p.e and s.p.h.e?

ok,I got on to the Teaching Council,they quoted me the following;

''Your qualifications are approved for the subject of Biology and junior certificate Science only.
    Therefore upon completion of your PDE you will be eligible for registration with the Teaching Council for the above subjects only.

In relation to the PDE course, if NUIM request that you take two methodologies you can take a second methodology in whatever subject you wish however you will not be approved to teach that subject upon completion of the course.''

It seems time wasting that I have to pick a second Methodologie knowing that I can never teach it,would you agree?What are the choice of Methodologies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

hdip wrote: »

It seems time wasting that I have to pick a second Methodologie knowing that I can never teach it,would you agree?What are the choice of Methodologies?

This is the way it seems to be. I am just finishing up mine in TCD. I am also only qualified to teach jc science and lc chem. In tcd science was counted a s a double major and we only had to attend one pedagogy course. Most other subjects, maths business, history, english etc. all had to attend pegagogy classes in their major subject and also a second course. They recommended that the minor subject that you might have some interest in. It does seem like a bit of a waste of time but it is helpful for some people i guess, e.g. maths and business.

I attended the maths classes this year even though it wasnt necessary and I found them extremely useful. It gives you insight from another teacher and that is always going to be valuable during the PDE year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gmac94

Hi I am currently studying a sports related course in AIT and i am switching to Business for the honours degree year. I have seriously considered going on to do the higher diploma in education to teach business. As a secondary school student I suffered from depression and it affected my secondary school work. I had no motivation for school. Now in my 3rd year in college i am motivated again. Will my honours degree in business be enough to get me into the masters?any help would be much appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gmac94 wrote: »
    Hi I am currently studying a sports related course in AIT and i am switching to Business for the honours degree year. I have seriously considered going on to do the higher diploma in education to teach business. As a secondary school student I suffered from depression and it affected my secondary school work. I had no motivation for school. Now in my 3rd year in college i am motivated again. Will my honours degree in business be enough to get me into the masters?any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Firstly, you will have to check if your degree is recognised by the Teaching Council of Ireland http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/teachers-newly-qualified-qualifications-awarded-in-ireland/assessment-of-post-primary-qualifications-awarded-in-ireland.475.html

If it is recognised then you can apply for the next cohort of the PME - application usually November/December. Just be aware that there is a 10% quota for business teachers. If not, the Teaching Council will assess your qualifications for e200 and tell you what you need to become registered. I would recommend that you do this first, as you don't want to do the PME only to realise that you are not registered to teach anything.

Lastly, well done on getting over your health problem, just be aware that with the way teaching has gone, you may have long periods of unemployment which are not very good for mental health/well being. However, if you don't mind emigrating there are jobs in the UK.

Hope this info helps, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gmac94

Thanks for your advice i have researched to see if it does meet the requirements of the teaching council. I have not had any health problems since being in secondary school and im doing better than ever thanks. Thats true my ex girlfriend is a primary school teacher and she struggled with unemployment for a year so i do realise how hard that can be.

Advertisement