Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ellenberger V Kampmann June 1st - Who wins?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Jake by KO first round on the basis that both these lads can go 3 rounds easily (it should be a 5 rounder) but nobody wants to see a cagey kick boxing fight so they'll engage which means a short fight IMO and Jake will catch him in the flurry, probably against the cage.

Anyone?

and make his case for a title bid against a reborn GSP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jake by KO first round on the basis that both these lads can go 3 rounds easily (it should be a 5 rounder) !

It's prob the Main Event, so will be 5 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jake-ellenberger-vs-martin-kampmann-set-as-main-event-for-tuf-live-finale

It is a 5 rounder. Delighted, this should be a great scrap.

WAR Kampmann!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Locomotion wrote: »
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/jake-ellenberger-vs-martin-kampmann-set-as-main-event-for-tuf-live-finale

It is a 5 rounder. Delighted, this should be a great scrap.

WAR Kampmann!!

It is? Ok brilliant! Not so sure now, still sayin Ellenberger (but Kampmann beat Condit and fought some better guys) It's a banger of a fight !

It is? Ok brilliant! Not so sure now, still sayin Ellenberger (but Kampmann beat Condit and fought some better guys) It's a banger of a fight !

Yeah all main events are 5 rounds now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kampmann is a talented guy but he's just not at that very very top level.

However, I thing Jake has all of the tools to be up there. And he possesses those tools which Kampmann is lacking.

Ellenberger takes this one IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Kampmann is a talented guy but he's just not at that very very top level.

However, I thing Jake has all of the tools to be up there. And he possesses those tools which Kampmann is lacking.

Ellenberger takes this one IMO.

What tools is Kampmann lacking? I personally scored the Shields fight to him, he beat Condit and Im don't think I'm alone in thinking he was royally robbed in the Sanchez decision.

His only definitive loss in the WW division IMO is the brutal KO against Paul Daley almost 3 years ago but hey, everyone gets caught some time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He hasn't got good enough wrestling to negate Ellenberger's grappling IMO.

Kampmann is best when his opponent will stand in front of him. But I don't think Ellenberger will. I think he'll control the fight and GnP. He's too strong and powerful.

Kampmann is a "nearly" man for me. He'll never be champion.

And don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of Kampmann. He's a super fighter. he can beat anyone on his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like this fight.

Kampmann can be a slow starter, Jake comes out fast but also tends to gas a bit. Kampmann was also very close to defeat against Alves but showed good resiliance to pull out the sub.

If it goes beyond round 1, I'll go Kampmann by sub.

Kampmann is a Drysdale brown belt, Ellenberger has only recently gained his purple belt but wrestled for Omaha at Division 2.
    They're so similarly sized I reckon Jakes wrestling will keep him up if he needs it to even after the first or second round. Kampmann has got some sick submissions up his sleeve though so I don't see Ellenberger looking to go to ground at all unless it goes deep as he doesn't want to fall to an arm triangle or D'arce or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

This is a really interesting one. In the stand up, I think if Kampman keeps it a distance and makes it a technical fight he can probably win the decision. Ellenberger can certainly hit hard enough to score a tko if given the chance but I hope he doesn't just try to wade in the way Rick Story did. If he uses his wrestling to tie up and then setup some close range striking he could do the damage there.
    I'm not sure what to make of it if it hits the ground though.

• Advertisement

Short Ellenberger HL

Locomotion wrote: »
    What tools is Kampmann lacking? I personally scored the Shields fight to him, he beat Condit and Im don't think I'm alone in thinking he was royally robbed in the Sanchez decision.

He lost against Shields imo
    However if he stood he when given the chance to he would of gotten the W
    Kampmann is a Drysdale brown belt,

Didn't know that.

" You gave a brown belt to Martin Kampmann, another star who demonstrated a solid ground game in is latest fights, against Paulo Thiago and Jake Shields… What’s your assessment of his technique?

Martin has been training with me for some time now, he was one of my first students here in Vegas. He also has an open mind and likes to learn. I’ve rarely seen someone evolve so quickly. His Jiu-Jitsu is obviously focused on MMA, but he is always adding new positions and submissions to his game. He has a positive attitude and contributes a lot to the academy. "

Robert Drysdale

Ellenberger competed one season for the Omaha Mavericks (Div 2), finishing the 2007-08 campaign with a 6-3 record.... but he's grown up around Wraslin success - his bro was all-American for Nebraska-Kearney.

Kampmann has him on the ground but not against the cage IMO

Advertisement