Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some friendly advice needed if possible

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi

Ive read the rules about giving out information to possible recruits and tried to search for answers but im still a bit bewildered.

Basically Ive got an interview coming up next week for retained FF and I`d like some general info on how best to prepare for it.

Im not looking for past questions or anything like that just some obvious stuff.

My main problem is Ive been working since the day I left school and have had a couple of jobs over the years but Ive never had to attend an interview of any kind before.
    I know it might be a minor thing to some people but I am really nervous about having to sit in front of a couple of strangers and try sell myself.
    In case I dont come across to way I would like too.

I am really excited about getting the opportunity and I dont want to blow it by being a shaking wreck sitting there with my tongue hanging out of my mouth with nothing to say.

So I would appreciate atleast some basic things I could or should know so I can atleast come across as if I did some prep.

Im sorry if these types of threads are banned or have been covered a million times,
    If so maybe a mod could delete it immediately.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

paddymick wrote: »
    Hi

Ive read the rules about giving out information to possible recruits and tried to search for answers but im still a bit bewildered.

Basically Ive got an interview coming up next week for retained FF and I`d like some general info on how best to prepare for it.

Im not looking for past questions or anything like that just some obvious stuff.

My main problem is Ive been working since the day I left school and have had a couple of jobs over the years but Ive never had to attend an interview of any kind before.
    I know it might be a minor thing to some people but I am really nervous about having to sit in front of a couple of strangers and try sell myself.
    In case I dont come across to way I would like too.

I am really excited about getting the opportunity and I dont want to blow it by being a shaking wreck sitting there with my tongue hanging out of my mouth with nothing to say.

So I would appreciate atleast some basic things I could or should know so I can atleast come across as if I did some prep.

Im sorry if these types of threads are banned or have been covered a million times,
    If so maybe a mod could delete it immediately.

cheers

Hi! I don't know much about the FF Interviews etc but from my experience in the Ambulance Service here and abroad...

1) Do some research on the job itself.
    2) Get onto the Station Officer of your local station or the station for which you are applying to asap and talk to him/her about the job, the area, calls, maybe a bit about the control centre etc etc etc. I'm sure they'll show you the equipment, appliance etc also.
    3) Look at the threads on Fire Service Recruitment on this website - a lot of info there!
    4) If you got paperwork with information on it about the interview, make sure you read it well as it may contain some important details that you might not have noticed when first reading it.
    5) Have you any First Aid experience? I think some Fire Fighters are trained to First Responder level so this might be a plus if you already have it.
    6) Do some research on "Interview tips" on the internet, theres some great advice on it, small things but things that can make a difference.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Again I'm only speaking from experience with Ambulance Service jobs. Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on and the very best of luck! :D

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Medic475 wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Hi Medic475 sorry for not getting back sooner.

Unfortunatly I got second place and there was only one job going at the moment but atleast im first on the list incase anything comes up in the near future or maybe the new guy will fail the recruit training:p.
    I heard alot of people went for the job so Im happy I even got on the short list.

I scored great on everything except availability,They seemed to have an issue with me being self employed and that I would find it hard to refuse work if it came along outside the town and therefore not be around in case of a call,Which is understandable but the only reason I went for the job is because its something Ive always wanted to do and am only now in a position to take it on as work has been very slack for months with no sign of it picking up again especially any work outside the town..

As far as the interview itself thanks for your advice I did everything in your list except #5.

I must say I was a nervous wreck going in but calmed down very quickly once the questions started coming as I had an answer for everything they asked sometimes even to much information:D...

Thanks again for the advice

paddymick wrote: »
    Hi Medic475 sorry for not getting back sooner.

Unfortunatly I got second place and there was only one job going at the moment but atleast im first on the list incase anything comes up in the near future or maybe the new guy will fail the recruit training:p.
    I heard alot of people went for the job so Im happy I even got on the short list.

I scored great on everything except availability,They seemed to have an issue with me being self employed and that I would find it hard to refuse work if it came along outside the town and therefore not be around in case of a call,Which is understandable but the only reason I went for the job is because its something Ive always wanted to do and am only now in a position to take it on as work has been very slack for months with no sign of it picking up again especially any work outside the town..

As far as the interview itself thanks for your advice I did everything in your list except #5.

I must say I was a nervous wreck going in but calmed down very quickly once the questions started coming as I had an answer for everything they asked sometimes even to much information:D...

Thanks again for the advice

Great job! Well done, I'm glad it went well for you! All the best for the future!! :)

Advertisement