Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Draft Tips & Strategy

• 09-05-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Couldn't see any threads for draft tips, if there is any then feel free to merge/delete!

I'm sure this could eventually be used for general questions regarding draft strategies for everyone but for now I seek some help!

I'm starting a draft this week in a 12-team keeper league. I'm 12th pick of course in a snake format. You get 24 hours between the pick before you and the pick after you to get it in, so clearly plenty of time for mulling!

Thing is you can also trade picks, and considering all my picks will come in twos would anyone suggest trading up/down at any stage during the draft? I've already caught wind that #5 in the draft is looking to trade down.

Also, I have little experience with keeper leagues, what are the best players to target?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

This early? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't know why either. Nice though to get back into it during the off season, missed this stuff!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I don't know why either. Nice though to get back into it during the off season, missed this stuff!

Honestly going this early its hard to know who to pick. Take AP for example. He says he will be back for game 1 after tearing both his ligaments but what if he doesnt and you have him as one of your keepers and you decide not to back him up this early ye know. Also take teams like the Pats who are fully loaded at certain positions and have some worthy FF guys on their roster as late round picks but again until camp is over the depth wont be set. I say good luck to you though it definitely makes it an interesting draft this early :D

Thanks for the help :pac:

Ray Rice went first. Rodgers second, Foster third.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Thanks for the help :pac:

My bad was on the phone and was going to throw up a better post didn't realise it was today my.
    Ray Rice went first. Rodgers second, Foster third.

Out of curiosity though who did you end up getting?

• Advertisement

My pick isn't up yet. Each pick can take up to 24 hrs, it's on this site called Fleaflicker. Decent system to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I went with Jamaal Charles in last year's draft. Huge fan but after seeing him go down last year I'm very much inclined to take a reliable QB or maybe even a TE like Graham (I would say Gronk but I think Bernard Pollard shows up early on his schedule) before one of those injury prone RBs.

One big tip is that you always have to look at the schedules. I will be avoiding NFC East and AFC West players this year because they each play 4 games against the AFC North. Ditto with AFC North players because they play 6 games against the AFC North.

I picked Newton and Lynch in the end. Very happy.

Gonna wait now til the end of the 2nd round, see who's available and maybe look to trading up if there's someone I fancy in the WR department or Jimmy Graham if he's still on the board. Otherwise Coby Fleener is someone I'm hoping is available late on.

I'd really recommend the Fleaflicker.com system for fantasy leagues, simple layout and the additions to trade picks and 24 hour picks is really nea.
    t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I did a dynasty league draft last month and AP fell right to the end of the first round at 16th. Could be worth a flyer if he falls that low. I would recommend taking Gerhart later to back him up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'll need all the help I can this year, or another huge slice of luck. I wasn't around last year for my draft and didn't know how to even pick player so it'd have been no use had I been there. Anyway I somehow managed to fluke all the best players. Can't be relying on that strategy this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The chance to trade picks is a really cool idea. Would be hard to manage on a site like this but with a few friends it could really add to the strategy of the draft.

On this year's draft, they are prejecting AP as a 3rd rounder at the moment. Theres no chance people will let him fall that far regardless of injury. He's already beating Joe Webb in sprints so id be fairly confident he's there week one

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The chance to trade picks is a really cool idea. Would be hard to manage on a site like this but with a few friends it could really add to the strategy of the draft.

If anyone fancies a league I could set up one. It's been great to get back into it, you'd miss all the football action in the long off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Hulk Hands wrote: »

If you like trading picks you should get involved in dynasty league fantasy football (where you keep all your roster from year to year and draft the rookies each year) Picks are being constantly traded in those leagues

Advertisement