Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Falcon?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

How likely is it that I just saw a Merlin Falcon fairly close to the Ennis town centre in Clare? The information I have says it's a winter visitor along the coast, but I can't find anything else that looks like what I saw (which looked most like a juvenile Merlin). Any suggestions or confirmation would be welcome:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Not a winter visitor, but a resident. Usually associated with bogs, not with being seen in towns. After that, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Resident up here also with nesting taking place on the Antrim Plateau.

They would only have eggs or chicks just now. I think their main prey is meadow pipits and sky larks.

You may have seen an adult female
    http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?mode=search&sp=32040&rty=0&r=1&v=0&off=340335

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sounds right. There is a pair that is often spotted on the Limerick side of Ennis town. Have seen one on a regular basis along the stretch of road that joins the Motorway to Clarecastle side of Ennis.

The habitat on either side of that road looks perfect for them to be fair. Lots of marshy/boggy stretches and loads of reeds. Would only be a mile or two, as the bird flies, from Ennis town centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Kess73 wrote: »
    The habitat on either side of that road looks perfect for them to be fair. Lots of marshy/boggy stretches and loads of reeds. Would only be a mile or two, as the bird flies, from Ennis town centre as well.

That makes sense:) I've never seen one before, and this was in a housing estate so was a bit surprised. Thanks for the replies K

Advertisement