Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Saorbhriathar

Options
  • 09-05-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Could someone help me figure out the free-verb/saorbhriathar please. I want to say 'It puts pressure on them.'
    Which would be more correct/official for my essay? 'Cuireann sé brú orthu' or 'Cuirtear brú orthu'. Thanks:)

Also if anyone could tell me what 'according to the dictionary' would be in Irish it'd be a big help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

68508224 wrote: »
    Could someone help me figure out the free-verb/saorbhriathar please. I want to say 'It puts pressure on them.'
    Which would be more correct/official for my essay? 'Cuireann sé brú orthu' or 'Cuirtear brú orthu'. Thanks:)

The whole point of the saorbhriathar is that the agent is not stated, so if it's stated who the agent is (i.e. 'it'), you shouldn't use it. If you use 'cuirtear', you're indicating that it's not obvious who is applying the pressure (maybe parents, society, peers, a boss, the government?).
    68508224 wrote: »

Also if anyone could tell me what 'according to the dictionary' would be in Irish it'd be a big help.

'de réir an fhoclóra'

Advertisement