Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epic Fails

Options
  • 09-05-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

:mad:

so I had a shocking year in college due to several reasons, Im a mature student over 30 with a spouse & kids, between my children and working to put food on the table etc, my studies suffer, Im really only hoping just to pass through college, I dont need any top class honours degree :eek:

I have failed 3 exams maybe 4, I know Ill be able pass them come repeat time,

if I fail 5...is there any consideration to let someone in my position to progress into next year, providing I do pass my repeats, as I understand it, your only allowed fail 4 in any one year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do you have more exams to sit? If so, best to concentrate your energy now on those.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Email SUEducation@ul.ie

My understanding is that if you fail more than 4 exams in an academic year that you must repeat the entire year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Stuxnet wrote: »
    :mad:

so I had a shocking year in college due to several reasons, Im a mature student over 30 with a spouse & kids, between my children and working to put food on the table etc, my studies suffer, Im really only hoping just to pass through college, I dont need any top class honours degree :eek:

I have failed 3 exams maybe 4, I know Ill be able pass them come repeat time,

if I fail 5...is there any consideration to let someone in my position to progress into next year, providing I do pass my repeats, as I understand it, your only allowed fail 4 in any one year.

Go to counselling. http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Supports/Student_Counselling I'm not sure if the drop in times are still available but email and arrange a date.

Explain to them your situation, your individual situation (stress etc.) may mean you're entitled to an i-grade, special dispensation. Hopefully you get some of the fails turned to i-grades and are allowed repeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As far as im aware I grades are only awarded on the basiis of medical reasons or personal problems such as family bereament etc. I dont think simply not having time to give to your studies would come under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

A friend of mine had an anxiety attack during an exam and completely freaked out and had to leave. They then sent him to counselling and deemed that he was not allowed an I-grade because it was self inflicted..

• Advertisement

Nolimits12 wrote: »
    A friend of mine had an anxiety attack during an exam and completely freaked out and had to leave. They then sent him to counselling and deemed that he was not allowed an I-grade because it was self inflicted..

that's not true

cambridge wrote: »
    that's not true

Believe what you like. At the end of the day I believe him and he is still in counselling over it. But whatever.

You understanding of the events, or your explanation of the events is wrong. There is no logical rationale behind it. It's like saying you know someone who had a heart attack during an exam but they didn't get an I grade because it was self-inflicted. That's stupid and makes no sense.

There is more to your story and it's not my business to know more of it but what you're saying isn't true so probably best that you don't share other people's stories on the internet.

You understanding of the events, or your explanation of the events is wrong. There is no logical rationale behind it. It's like saying you know someone who had a heart attack during an exam but they didn't get an I grade because it was self-inflicted. That's stupid and makes no sense.

There is more to your story and it's not my business to know more of it but what you're saying isn't true so probably best that you don't share other people's stories on the internet.

Yes there is no logically rationale behind it whatsoever! But its basically to show how unfair they are in giving I-grades. They don't see having an anxiety attack as something which deserves an I-grade apparently. I shared the story to show that the OP shouldn't get his hopes up on the counselling route seeing as with this circumstance the person did not receive the I-grade. End of.

Maybe you should quit starting pointless arguments with absolutely everyone on a internet website. When in reality you probably wouldn't have half the balls to say this stuff to peoples face. You're like one of them ones on fb always causing arguments over every little thing and then if you were to confront them in person they would run scared! Relax a bit like, its a forum its not somewhere to argue.

Stop making baseless assumptions about things and people you don't know or understand. If you had a panic attack during an exam and it caused you to fail, they would let you repeat it. There probably wouldn't be a need for an i-grade. If you failed all 4 exams due to a series of unfortunate events they'd probably give you an i-grade to allow you to repeat them without penalty. If you want me to explain to you in person why you're wrong i will do that

• Advertisement

Stop making baseless assumptions about things and people you don't know or understand. If you had a panic attack during an exam and it caused you to fail, they would let you repeat it. There probably wouldn't be a need for an i-grade. If you failed all 4 exams due to a series of unfortunate events they'd probably give you an i-grade to allow you to repeat them without penalty.

The story I told was true. That is all. I never said it will happen to OP, I just said its a possibility.
    If you want me to explain to you in person why you're wrong i will do that

Aye you will yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mod bit:

Regardless of whether an igrade was or wasn't granted to the chap mentioned in post 6 or why an igrade was or wasn't granted, it's got sod-all to do with the query posed by the original thread poster. Difficult as it can be to apply one particular situation to a general situation, it's virtually impossible to apply one particular situation to another, distinct, particular situation.

You folks might be so good as to take that entire discussion to private messaging as it's nothing to do with the point of the thread. By "might be so good", that's a moderator instruction to either usefully deal with the original question or not post - the thread was started by a particular person with a particular problem looking for helpful advice. Bit of cop-on, people. Otherwise, don't post - the universe has a finite number of electrons and one shouldn't waste any.

Non-mod bit:

I suspect that you're a little out of luck, Stuxnet, both because of the circumstances that have put you in this position as well as the typical requirements that only four exams can be repeated in August (and, at that, usually no more than two per term). Additionally, unfortunately for you and your situation, igrades aren't granted for work taking study time - the student academic handbook explicitly states that.

However, there are some good suggestions on contacting the SU Education officer (email provided above) and the university's counselling service. I'd add on that it might be an idea to contact your assigned academic advisor if they seem in any way competent in that role and your course leader or head of department. You may not get anywhere with any of those four/five people but it's worth a try if you can manage to see them - at worst, you're no worse off than you would be if you hadn't tried. Best of luck with the remaining exams.

(with the mod hat back on, for the benefit of the easily tangentially distracted, the above two paragraphs are a reasonable example of a post that makes a reasonable effort at offering pertinent advice actually related to the problem. Try it - it isn't painful.)

Advertisement