Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help identify this spider!

Options
  • 09-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm a student on erasmus in Dublin and for a project I have to collect and ID a bunch of insects and spiders, but I'm not very familiar with Irish fauna. Can anyone help ID this spider (on the right)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

mootchie79 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a student on erasmus in Dublin and for a project I have to collect and ID a bunch of insects and spiders, but I'm not very familiar with Irish fauna. Can anyone help ID this spider (on the right)?

Can you give some clues? How big is it; does it have any markings (or could you post a brighter picture; the white background may be forcing the camera to underexpose) and where did you catch it and did it have a web?

I used to know my spiders a bit but am rusty and need some help :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

It's an Itsy-Bitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mootchie79

I found it on my kitchen floor in Dublin, no web. I didn't notice any markings, just that the abdomen is a darker brown (nearly black) than the legs and covered with short hairs. I'd say its body length is roughly a little over 1cm, body with legs a little less than 1in. The background is on A4 paper if that helps with gauging size.
    Sorry for the photo quality, they were taken with a cellphone camera. Unfortunately I don't have the specimen and these are the only pics.
    Thanks for taking a look!

Advertisement