Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What frieght was going to sligo today?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

Spotted what could have been a 071 pulling a rake of yellow tankers and a few box cars. I didn't get more then a fleeting glance at it as I was on the inbound sligo service when it was doing about 60mph.

Any body any ideas as to what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Probably the weed spray train. Did it look like this?

IMG0086-XL.jpg

IMG0088-XL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Probably the weed spray train. Did it look like this?

That could very well be it. It was yellow anyway. I have never seen one before, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Could be the new ballast train.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Could be the new ballast train.

Are there many of thoes or is it just 1?
    This has been stabled at Clonmel since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are there many of thoes or is it just 1?
    This has been stabled at Clonmel since yesterday.

Is their a ballast operation on the sligo route?

Not saying it wasn't. I only got a fleeting glance as it passed the window, and it was yellow :D (saw the reflection on the window I was looking out at first)

• Advertisement

I saw a set of wagons stabled in Portarlington on Monday which I had never seen before. They were coloured yellow but was not the weedsprayer or autoballasters. Trying to recite from memory what they looked like, and failing miserably. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Karsini wrote: »
    I saw a set of wagons stabled in Portarlington on Monday which I had never seen before. They were coloured yellow but was not the weedsprayer or autoballasters. Trying to recite from memory what they looked like, and failing miserably. :o

The new spoil wagons possibly?Link to picture

bg07 wrote: »
    The new spoil wagons possibly?Link to picture

They're the ones. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Karsini wrote: »
    They're the ones. Thanks. :)
    What are they used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What are they used for?

They were ordered for the now cancelled DART underground project. They would be used to haul away dug up waste material to be hauled away and dumped else where.
    That and they are now used with the ballast cleaner machines as the spoil can't be dumped track side anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They were ordered for the now cancelled DART underground project. They would be used to haul away dug up waste material to be hauled away and dumped else where.
    That and they are now used with the ballast cleaner machines as the spoil can't be dumped track side anymore.
    Ballast Cleaner Machines? Do they wash the stones? and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ballast Cleaner Machines? Do they wash the stones? and why?

It sort of cleans and sorts it. Over time the stones become smooth due to weathering like pebbles on a beach. When this happens the ballast is no longer effective as the stones can slide over each other. The smooth stones are blasted clean to make them angular again if possible and if they can't they are dumped through a filter system.

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/905/Track-Machines-watch?page=12#.T6sIwOtAbis
    There is a pic of one in post 227. Its a beast of a thing. The UK have one that's around a half mile long as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think it would be more accurate to say they lift out the ballast which becomes infiltrated by mud vegetation and rubbish, clean it of such pollutants for re-use or remove it entirely if too far gone. I don't think there is much erosion of the actual pieces of stone to deal with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

A lad I know used to drive along the track at night in his JCB, and take a bucket of ballast here and there. He eventually stoned his entire driveway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They were ordered for the now cancelled DART underground project. .

A bit premature to start making such purposes!

Advertisement