Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Contact Lenses work for Pool

Options
  • 09-05-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

I'm a pool player, playing 10 hours a day in Thailand, serious competition 5 night a week for three months.. My eyes ar now going, I wonder if any of you snooker or pool players have experience any improvement with Contact Lenses... I read somewhere in internet that Stephen Maguire of scotland, got his eyed lasered, and he is very happy with it since... He moved from rank 46 to world number 2.... Hope you can help lads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

BUMP....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

See an optiction it might be a better idea than posting here

True... I'm seeing a Optican tomorrow morning 11.55am, will ask her/him about this... Thanks for your concern....

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I'm a pool player, playing 10 hours a day in Thailand, serious competition 5 night a week for three months.. My eyes ar now going, I wonder if any of you snooker or pool players have experience any improvement with Contact Lenses... I read somewhere in internet that Stephen Maguire of scotland, got his eyed lasered, and he is very happy with it since... He moved from rank 46 to world number 2.... Hope you can help lads...

I don't actually play pool but I can say that my vision is much sharper when wearing my contacts as opposed to my glasses. With that said wearing contacts for prolonged periods of time can make your eyes irritable. If I wear mine for 10-12 hours or more they start to feel very dry and uncomfortable so if you are talking 10 hour days they could be bothersome unless you have a break during the day where you could take them out and give your eyes a rest. Hope this helps somewhat :)

That is very helpful to know.... Thanks for your time.. Will also ask my Optican this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

no problem :) Also keep in mind they can take a lot of time to get used to. I have been wearing mine for many years now, but they can take some getting used to. Good luck getting it sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Make sure you go to an optician. From my own experiences it should help you an awful lot. I am brutal at snooker, only slightly better at pool but I'm certain they'll help. I play a lot of soccer and there was an unbelievable difference in my game after getting them. I could see people on the pitch for the first time in ages. It's a simple thing but it makes such a difference.

Make sure you go to a good optician though. I haven't a clue about the ones in Thailand. Don't pay for any old set of contacts. Be certain that they are suited to your eyes and that they aren't going to irritate them in any way.

Thanks for you good detailed reply... I'm Getting/buying it in Waterford not in Thailand, My mate who works in Baunch & Lomb said certain Contact Lenses may not work when playing under Air Conditioner (A/C) Because it cause to dry your eyes...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Simple answer is yes for me. Won our Pool League wearing lenses which isn't saying a huge amount :) but it's a huge difference to glasses unless you borrow Denis Taylors' pair.

If you want to wear lenses all day I think the best way is to let your eyes get used to them. The first time I got lenses the optician had me start with them on for 2 hours, then 4 hours the next day and so on.

Thanks for you good detailed reply... I'm Getting/buying it in Waterford not in Thailand, My mate who works in Baunch & Lomb said certain Contact Lenses may not work when playing under Air Conditioner (A/C) Because it cause to dry your eyes...

You should say that to your optician. I know when I wear them driving and have the heating on in the winter that they dry out very quickly. They're stuck to my eyes after about half an hour. I wear my glasses in that instance and put them on afterwards. There are drops you can get that help with the dryness though.

You'll find them a great help. They're brilliant in general. I can't believe the difference they've made to me. Something simple like walking down town and being able to recognise someone across the road. It's only when you wear the contacts that you realise how much you were missing out on. They are far superior to glasses imo and I like them because no one knows that you wear them. They're kind of like dentures :P.

• Advertisement

You should say that to your optician. I know when I wear them driving and have the heating on in the winter that they dry out very quickly. They're stuck to my eyes after about half an hour. I wear my glasses in that instance and put them on afterwards. There are drops you can get that help with the dryness though.

You'll find them a great help. They're brilliant in general. I can't believe the difference they've made to me. Something simple like walking down town and being able to recognise someone across the road. It's only when you wear the contacts that you realise how much you were missing out on. They are far superior to glasses imo and I like them because no one knows that you wear them. They're kind of like dentures :P.

Interesting points... Went to Optican to day and had a test to confirm if I'm suitable to wear those contact lenses, They say , I'm suitable, that the first hurdle I jumped, They gave me a lenses to try for 15 minute around the town, Came back, I was very happy with it, took off me, and said to give me a training how to put on or off the contact lenses on Wednesday 3pm.. I told her that I need ttem for playing pool in hot climate and A/C (Air Conditioner), Said they are sure I will get through those allright.. I need them for September for two months of pool, they say I should try them now to get used to it and might get a different ones if not satisfied with it.. Seems fair enough for me.. Got 50% off for test, cost me €15... On wednesday, I may have to buy €40 for three months and €19.50 for solution... Will report back another story on Wednesday or Thursday, I dont know how to put on the contact lenses or take them off, that training on Wednesday will solve the solution... Is it easy to do that ? I'm nervous to do that, never ever touuch my eyes before.... Thanks to all who gives me advice and experience....

At the start it's quite difficult. I spent half an hour one time trying to put one in before I gave up. Also I had a bit of discomfort with them for a few weeks. It turned out that I was wearing them inside out.

A couple of months on and I'm an expert at it. I can put the contacts in without looking in a mirror. I'm even better at taking them out. I came home buckled drunk last Saturday. Woke up the next morning to find my contacts perfectly put away. Somehow I managed to take them out.

Enquire about monthly lens. They are way, way cheaper than the dailies. Mine cost me €12 for the month, as opposed to €40 for the dailies. It's not worth the money if you're going to be using them every day. Have a look over at the Eyeglasses & Contact Lens & Eyecare forum. They'll know a lot more than I do. I only wear them really.

Thanks Jimmy, Monthy Lens is good idea, I will enquire qbout that on Wednesday.. I will have a look on your proposed forum.. Will check that out, Many Thanks again..

Advertisement