Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Radiowaves Forum

Options
  • 09-05-2012 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

While keeping in mind the rule in the charter here about not making unfair negative comments about other radio forums, I've nothing negative to say about radiowaves, which has been a properly useful site for the past 12 years. Genuinely sorry to see them go.

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/showthread.php?t=24439

PS: Some voices on there seem to think there's an anti-RW bias on this forum. It would be nice if this thread didn't prove them right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There was always quite a few posters over there who gave the impression of being like Alan Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

always liked the site, sad news:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I went over there a few nights back and it was offline.

Seems strange to wind it up given it had its own audience and what does a small forum cost to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

As someone who used Radiowaves Forum a lot over the years, I think this will be a great loss to the radio community. This was a great source of information and discussion and of course "anoraking".

No offence to Boards.ie which is very good at what it does. The difference was that Radiowaves was specifically for the radio enthusiasts, while Boards is a much bigger operation with many many different forums.

The memories will live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sad to see them go. At times it was overmoderated and a bit fond of back patting but it was the place to go for the reliable word on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's always good to have an alternative to any type of public interest such as this forum and opinions and discussions found across the web.

Sorry to see it go. Best of luck to John and all the contributors to Radiowaves in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

This was a great source of information and discussion and of course "anoraking".

I think even Comreg viewed the site, for obvious reasons !

Shame it's closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

It's a sad day. Been using the site for all my learning since starting in the industry in 2008.

CJKeane wrote: »
    It's a sad day. Been using the site for all my learning since starting in the industry in 2008.

Yep, notice the news service is down as well now, which is also a shae.

Always a good source of information with lots of archive material.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going to miss some of the content, rumours, etc.

Not going to miss the surreal moderation and even more surreal "rules", though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Mods take note:D

No seriously. I though radiowaves was great for well informed discussion about all matters wireless. It was a great place to lurk but I never felt the need to share my own opinions there. Maybe therein is the germ of this announcement.

I feel sure the smart people that were behind radiowaves will go on to bigger and better things.

Hopefully this is also good news for boards as all these voluable radio types will now share their knowledge here.

mbur wrote: »
    Mods take note:D

No seriously. I though radiowaves was great for well informed discussion about all matters wireless. It was a great place to lurk but I never felt the need to share my own opinions there. Maybe therein is the germ of this announcement.

I feel sure the smart people that were behind radiowaves will go on to bigger and better things.

Hopefully this is also good news for boards as all these voluable radio types will now share their knowledge here.

We need a bandscans thread on Boards.ie

Should I start one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

There's been a few sites set up to fill the gap left by the imminent departure of Radiowaves... one of them being my (radionation.ie) one... so if the site really was that useful or in demand, surely it will live on through one of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bard wrote: »
    There's been a few sites set up to fill the gap left by the imminent departure of Radiowaves... one of them being my (radionation.ie) one... so if the site really was that useful or in demand, surely it will live on through one of them anyway.

Theres nothing like a bit of self publicity eh Bard, Is that a pharmacy forum you've created ? .:)

Sorry to see radiowaves go parts of the site was excellent, The forum was a bit of a bitch fest by times but it was a must read for most in the industry who wanted all the latest gossip.

It must have been an extremely difficult forum to moderate impartially.

Ps

The Muppet wrote: »
    Theres nothing like a bit of self publicity eh Bard, Is that a pharmacy forum you've created ? .:)

Argh... you go away for a day and...

Yeah, it got fairly walloped by a bunch of spammers. Sorting it out now!

I agree with the rest of your post ;)

FYI... Radiowaves finally closed it's forum to new posts/threads today. It's due to remain online for another 6 months, apparently.

Advertisement