Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeeper

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

My iMac was working fine but I clicked on an ad for MacKeeper. It scanned my computer and informed me there were some issues and persuaded me to foolishly allow it to fix them. However since it did some web pages such as Facebook are not loading properly. I'm sure if I paid the money to Mackeeper they would be fixed but I don't want to. Anybody got any ideas how to get my mac back to normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I always thought it was a virus and never went near it. Is it a virus of some sorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

My iMac was working fine but I clicked on an ad for MacKeeper. It scanned my computer and informed me there were some issues and persuaded me to foolishly allow it to fix them. However since it did some web pages such as Facebook are not loading properly. I'm sure if I paid the money to Mackeeper they would be fixed but I don't want to. Anybody got any ideas how to get my mac back to normal.

Whats the problem? Why do you need Facebook? Its not a webpage I would require.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Its not just Facebook its seems to have effected the most used websites on my Mac. Also it takes the Mac ages to restart when before it was almost instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Can't believe I was foolish enough to download Mackeeper. It seems to be affecting Firefox more than any other browser. I tried reinstalling Firefox but certain websites are still effected. Any ideas lads? As you can probably tell I'm not much of a techie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm another sucker who fell for mackeeper's ads. I used it for about a month but it made my iMac unbelievably slow. Stay clear.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

MacKeeper is a scam. It isn't technically a virus or malware, but it is malicious software designed to cripple your Mac. Like most Mac anti-virus, it's worse than the real thing. It targets former Windows users who mistakenly think the Mac needs constant maintenance or anti-virus. It doesn't.

It's not easy to get rid of. Whatever you do, don't use the uninstaller application - it will cause further damage.

Instructions for removing it here:

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It targets former Windows users who mistakenly think the Mac needs constant maintenance or anti-virus. It doesn't.

Well had an AV been installed then this would have been stopped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

MacKeeper is AV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

MacKeeper is AV.

A respected AV maker, ones people would be recommended to get if Apple did not dip its head in the sand.

I do not see ClamXav or Norton ads for the Mac that when clicked mess up users computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Those ads were annoying me too. Thanks for the advice and information... uninstalled and I'll ignore all the ads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement