Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part time mechanical engineering course?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I was looking at ITT website and seen they have some part time courses in mechanical engineering and electronic engineering. Was wondering if anyone has done these course and what they thought of them as a whole? part time or not as it seems to be the same course. Was also wondering whats the entry req for the hons degree in mechanical eng as it dosnt show up on there website for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

For students to progress from level 7 to level 8 (hons degree) in mechanical engineering, there must be a B average in maths and a gpa of no less than 2.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

kyle123 wrote: »
    I was looking at ITT website and seen they have some part time courses in mechanical engineering and electronic engineering. Was wondering if anyone has done these course and what they thought of them as a whole? part time or not as it seems to be the same course. Was also wondering whats the entry req for the hons degree in mechanical eng as it dosnt show up on there website for some reason.

I'm not entirely sure what the requirements are going into first year. However, I know if you enter in at a lower level say level 6/7 as said previously you will need to average a B in maths and a GPA of 2.5 to progress. That being said, if you enjoy maths you'll more than likely like this course. I can only speak for Mechanical Engineering but it consists of Fluid dynamics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics, Materials, Automation and Robotics, Instrumentation and Control and of course Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irelandperson

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what the requirements are going into first year. However, I know if you enter in at a lower level say level 6/7 as said previously you will need to average a B in maths and a GPA of 2.5 to progress. That being said, if you enjoy maths you'll more than likely like this course. I can only speak for Mechanical Engineering but it consists of Fluid dynamics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics, Materials, Automation and Robotics, Instrumentation and Control and of course Maths.

Can I ask how much of the course is project and practical etc

Can I ask how much of the course is project and practical etc

In first year as a full time or part time student?

First year full time

• Advertisement

First year full time

It depends on the subject. Some subjects are 100% CA. Which means there won't be a final exam at the end of the semester. CA can consist of Lab work, write ups or in class tests. Others can be 60% for the final exam and 40% for labs and other work etc. In terms of projects, I think second year is when you get assigned group projects. Third year will be an individual project consisting mostly of design and manufacturing. Fourth year, which is the final year, the project will consist mostly of results gathered from testing etc. As you progress through the course, the % going for labs and other in class work becomes less and less with more of an emphasis on the final exam.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they'll be making things with there hands everyday. This really isn't the case. It's a very maths/physics based course. That being said, they do start at a very basic level in first year so don't worry if you feel like you're weak when it comes to maths.

If you want to take a look at a second year group project just to get an idea of what you can expect take a look here. This was my groups second year project, currently going into my final year, I'm the guy in the video not the boring narrator :D.

It depends on the subject. Some subjects are 100% CA. Which means there won't be a final exam at the end of the semester. CA can consist of Lab work, write ups or in class tests. Others can be 60% for the final exam and 40% for labs and other work etc. In terms of projects, I think second year is when you get assigned group projects. Third year will be an individual project consisting mostly of design and manufacturing. Fourth year, which is the final year, the project will consist mostly of results gathered from testing etc. As you progress through the course, the % going for labs and other in class work becomes less and less with more of an emphasis on the final exam.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they'll be making things with there hands everyday. This really isn't the case. It's a very maths/physics based course. That being said, they do start at a very basic level in first year so don't worry if you feel like you're weak when it comes to maths.

If you want to take a look at a second year group project just to get an idea of what you can expect take a look here. This was my groups second year project, currently going into my final year, I'm the guy in the video not the boring narrator :D.

Thanks a million this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for much appreciated

Thanks a million this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for much appreciated

No problem. Hope to see ya around the college in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

No problem. Hope to see ya around the college in 2-3 weeks.

Hi, was thinking of going back to do Mechanical Engineering. I know Ireland is slow enough for work but have many of your course been successful in getting work related to your course.

Cheers

Johntm wrote: »
    Hi, was thinking of going back to do Mechanical Engineering. I know Ireland is slow enough for work but have many of your course been successful in getting work related to your course.

Cheers

Just finished my final year there in June. About 15 passed the year. Of those 15 about 11 have found work. 2 went to China, 1 to Holland, 1 is flying between here and Israel, 1 in Australia, 1 in Canada and 5 are still in Ireland. I'm currently working in product development out in Park West. Everyone who got a job got it in a Mechanical Engineering field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Just finished my final year there in June. About 15 passed the year. Of those 15 about 11 have found work. 2 went to China, 1 to Holland, 1 is flying between here and Israel, 1 in Australia, 1 in Canada and 5 are still in Ireland. I'm currently working in product development out in Park West. Everyone who got a job got it in a Mechanical Engineering field.

Thats not bad at all then so there is space there for employment. I may look at my options as Ive an engineering degree but cant find a job anywhere after looking the last year.

Cheers

Advertisement