Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager (16) summer jobs?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Im living in Clare and summer is almost here so this year im making a promise that il find a summer job. Problem is how do you go about doing this? Like it would feel kinda strange and awkward just walking up into Centra\Spar\Mace what have you, and asking for a job :L :\ Who do you ask exactly? The other random guy at the till? Do I need a C.V? Please fill me in lads. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the same question. I'm 15 and wondering about summer jobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Do yourself up a CV with any relevant information like awards, hobbies, interests etc... At that age nobody is going to expect you to have a huge amount of working experience. When you go into the shop, ask if there is a manager available to speak to. From my experience in similar jobs as a teenager, if you give it to the guy behind the counter they'll read it and throw it somewhere it won't be seen.

Bringing a CV and asking for a manager shows a lot of organisation and determination on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leftyjrjr085

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Do yourself up a CV with any relevant information like awards, hobbies, interests etc... At that age nobody is going to expect you to have a huge amount of working experience. When you go into the shop, ask if there is a manager available to speak to. From my experience in similar jobs as a teenager, if you give it to the guy behind the counter they'll read it and throw it somewhere it won't be seen.

Bringing a CV and asking for a manager shows a lot of organisation and determination on your behalf.

Thanks for the answer im starting to see now. But like with the "recession" and all will there even be jobs for teens like me? I hear all this talk of jobs being scarce and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do up a CV and print *loads* of them.

Go into every shop, bar, garage in your town and ask politely to speak to a manager. When talking to them ask if they have any temporary or part-time work going and hand in your CV if they give you any indication that there's a chance of some work. Don't force it on someone that gives you a flat no, no point in wasting them.

Ask your parents if any of their friends / acquaintices might be able to give you some work. Who you know can be far more important than what you know in this country.

Don't limit yourself to just shops either, literally go anywhere that you could imagine there might be work available: my first job was picking strawberries, my second was a fairground, following that I went to a local shopping centre and handed a CV into every shop and restaurant there. Nothing is too menial for your first job, in fact, holding down a horrible job for the full summer will stand to you in the future: it's character building and also looks great on your CV to a prospective employer (e.g. if he can stick working as a Kitchen Porter for a summer, he'll have no problems turning up to stack shelves for me here in the shop / collect glasses in the pub etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have an adult check the CV before you hand it out- there'll be lots of teens, looking for jobs,and you'll need your CV to stand out-so make the extra effort at this stage and hopefully it'll stand to you.

If at first you don't succeed, keep trying.
    And remember, consider taking voluntary work if you can't find paid work, as all experience counts in the long run.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I'm in Clare too, I'm 19, I've handed out about 30 CVs in the last year, and none of them have even given me an interview. They get so many CVs with people with a load of experience, they just glance at your CV and if you have no experience, in the bin. Worth a try though! The best way to get one is if you know someone who could help get you in. Only way all my friends have gotten jobs lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

30?

I think I handed out about 200 to get my first "real" job. Finding work is a job in itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

As others have said, do up a CV. They don't expect much, but it's something to have on file. I went picking tomatoes and strawberries for my first couple of summers, then when old enough I worked as a general operative in a factory (16). Look into operative jobs too OP. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My husband works in a local convenience shop & it's the teens who carry the summer - the boss counts on the teens & students who're off for the summer to fill in because the shop tends to be busier over the summer & some of the year-round employees go on hols.

So, OP, don't let the fact that you're young(ish) and unexperienced get in the way. We all had to start somewhere, and there are jobs out there for those willing to look & fight for them.

As others have said, knock on every door, work your contacts, be courteous and professional no matter what job you're going for. Don't throw together a CV - do it right and edit, edit, edit - give it to an adult to check (surely there would be some sort of advisor at school?). The CV is how you're presenting yourself, make sure it's a positive presentation.

Talk only to the manager if possible and make sure you get their name. Smile and speak confidently. Shake their hand after the chat & look them in the eyes. If the manager wasn't available & you just left your CV make sure you get his/her name. Regardless of whether or not you talk to the manager, be sure to phone/pop in again after a few days to follow up and leave the impression that you're serious & worthy of being hired. Yeah, it may seem over the top, but do you want the job? Fight for it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You're 15/16 - forget about CV's.
    Its tough getting work, for anyone at present, so you'll probably end up having to work for little pay and longer hours than most (which was what I did at 15).
    At your age you need to use the local business and literally go in, try seek the owner and ask politely if there is any summer work going.
    At 14 I got a job on a golf course, fishing out and selling back golf balls to golfers. (Technicilly it may have been illegal as I wasnt working for the course but I didnt see anyone else doing it)
    At 15 I got a job in a bar/petrol station, that year primarily manning the petrol pumps/collecting glasses/taking deliveries (possibly illegal as I worked about 80-90 hours a week for about 60 old school pounds (1995 ish) nowadays)
    worked in the same place for next two summers, eventually serving customers and learning a hell of a lot of more relevant information about the world and people than anything I have done since. Also did some work for a local landscaper, cutting lawns,trees, doing lawns etc.

These were people me or my parent knew and they knew me/of me and gave me a chance, but I went to them and asked them if they had anything seasonal going.
    Maybe a lot of the jobs that were available during the summer back in those days are no longer options.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    You're 15/16 - forget about CV's.

Forget about that advise - no one will even talk to you if you're not serious enough to put together a CV. It will be the first thing they ask and they will require it for their files.

Kippy, when we were young we may not have needed CVs, but anyone entering the market now does (unless they're hired because they're related/family friends).

Ayla wrote: »
    Forget about that advise - no one will even talk to you if you're not serious enough to put together a CV. It will be the first thing they ask and they will require it for their files.

Kippy, when we were young we may not have needed CVs, but anyone entering the market now does (unless they're hired because they're related/family friends).

What exactly does a 15/16 year old put on a CV that they cannot tell/talk to the person with responsibility with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

What exactly does a 15/16 year old put on a CV that they cannot tell/talk to the person with responsibility with?

CV's are held on file of their employees. Theres information on them that a company may need at some point. Sending your P45 out to you when you leave is just one I can think of off the top of my head. Even if the rest of the contents are irrelevant, the basics are there if they need to contact you / post something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

have to agree.
    the CV in itsself will not get you a job.

When I needed a student placement in college in order to graduate (in '97 when part time jobs were also a bitch to get) I did lots and lots of trudge work, turning up on companies doorsteps and trying to persuade them to give me a job.
    Eventually it worked and one of the managers in one of the companies I visited gave in and gave me a job even though they actually hadn't a position in the first place !!

But it was the personal touch that won it for me and not boosting An Post's profits by buying 100s of stamps to post 100s of impressive CVs. If you put in the foot work in person then you don't need to be called for an interview, you are already there on their doorstep for them to talk to and are showing enthusiasm and drive and sense of purpose that is what companies want most.

the CV in itsself will not get you a job.
    ...it was the personal touch that won it for me and not boosting An Post's profits by buying 100s of stamps to post 100s of impressive CVs. If you put in the foot work in person then you don't need to be called for an interview, you are already there on their doorstep for them to talk to and are showing enthusiasm and drive and sense of purpose that is what companies want most.

Obviously. No one here has advocated posting "100s of impressive CVs" - it is the leg work that gets you out there.

But the point is, if an employer has 1 position but 2 equally experienced & personable teens to pick from, it's an almost certainty that they will be more interested in hiring the teen who put the effort & consideration into creating a CV - it shows foresight, dedication and committment.

In my early (and more recent) days of job hunting, the first question ever asked when I showed up on someone's door was "do you have a CV?" Doesn't matter if it was a horse barn or the local restaurant, every potential employer I have ever spoken with has always wanted a CV.

OP - regardless of whether or not a potential employer wants CV, it won't hurt that you have one. But it could hurt you if you don't have one. Your choice.

Obviously. No one here has advocated posting "100s of impressive CVs" - it is the leg work that gets you out there.

But the point is, if an employer has 1 position but 2 equally experienced & personable teens to pick from, it's an almost certainty that they will be more interested in hiring the teen who put the effort & consideration into creating a CV - it shows foresight, dedication and committment.

In my early (and more recent) days of job hunting, the first question ever asked when I showed up on someone's door was "do you have a CV?" Doesn't matter if it was a horse barn or the local restaurant, every potential employer I have ever spoken with has always wanted a CV.

OP - regardless of whether or not a potential employer wants CV, it won't hurt that you have one. But it could hurt you if you don't have one. Your choice.
    Honestly, it wouldnt make any different to me if I were the direct owner of a small business if a 15/16 year old came to me with a CV or not.
    Their attitude, manner and reputation would be far more important. Esp for a summer job slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Honestly, it wouldnt make any different to me if I were the direct owner of a small business if a 15/16 year old came to me with a CV or not.
    Their attitude, manner and reputation would be far more important. Esp for a summer job slot.

Are you the owner or manager of a small business?
    If not don't speak for them. Some may not care about CVs, most do.

How will you know what an applicants reputation is? By checking who they have put as willing to give a reference.

About the only useful information from a CV is that it shows if the person can spell and put a sentence together. A surprising number with Leaving Certs or even degrees can't.
    A handwritten covering note just saying that you are willing to do any work available is good idea. Even if the only writing involved in the job may be a post-it saying 'order more baked beans' you need someone who can write neatly and legibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hi op, get him to try hotels in the area, they might need help setting up for wedding's, collecting glasses, helping housekeeping or porter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Im living in Clare and summer is almost here so this year im making a promise that il find a summer job. Problem is how do you go about doing this? Like it would feel kinda strange and awkward just walking up into Centra\Spar\Mace what have you, and asking for a job :L :\ Who do you ask exactly? The other random guy at the till? Do I need a C.V? Please fill me in lads. :D

Thats how most of them get summer jobs,they hand in typed up CV's into the likes of tesco,dunnes,supervalue,aldi/lidl,centra,spar etc..

Did you try the clothes shops too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I myself will try looking for some sort of summer job also, since I'll have my LC done with. It should pay off hopefully if you keep on trying. I've been told that there's literally no jobs out there, which I refuse to believe. It'll probably be harder than you think at this age, but don't let that put you off if you really want a job. There are jobs out there, it just takes a bit of effort and time to find one. Does anyone know if you can email your CV's to places? I think it'll be hard to just go up to the counter of a shop and ask for a job / the manager! :D

• Advertisement

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can email your CV's to places? I think it'll be hard to just go up to the counter of a shop and ask for a job / the manager! :D

I would strongly advise against emailing CVs anywhere unless the position has been advertised online & the employer asks for submissions via email. Otherwise, it's far too easy for them to hit delete & forget all about you (if they even open the email to begin with!). At least if you're standing there in front of them they have to give you an ounce of thought.

Yes, it is hard to go up to a stranger & put yourself out there. It's awkward, you're frequently inconveniencing them, and it is very disheartening when you hear the same "no" story ten thousand times. But it is the way it is. And - honestly - it is a fight. Only those tough enough (with a dash of luck to boot) will stick it out & find something. But it's a brilliant feeling when you finally do succeed.

echo beach wrote: »
    Are you the owner or manager of a small business?
    If not don't speak for them. Some may not care about CVs, most do.

How will you know what an applicants reputation is? By checking who they have put as willing to give a reference.

About the only useful information from a CV is that it shows if the person can spell and put a sentence together. A surprising number with Leaving Certs or even degrees can't.
    A handwritten covering note just saying that you are willing to do any work available is good idea. Even if the only writing involved in the job may be a post-it saying 'order more baked beans' you need someone who can write neatly and legibly.
    Lets be realistic here, The person looking for a job is 15/16. Usually you know about the reputation of a person because you know their parents, brothers sisters etc and if you really want to get a reference from them, assuming they havent been employed before, a teacher is probably the best you will get. This is not an adult looking for a job, who has the ability to drive miles or rent an apartment nearer work, out the country, your reputation and that of your family doesn't need references.

Honestly, I never heard such nonsense, CV's for Summer work from a 15/16 year old!

Back in the day, there were about 10 pubs, three restaurants, two shops and a few other summer work opportunites within cycling distance. Everyone knew everyone else and to this tell, any of my past employers who take on people of that age group for those roles do not request or expect a CV. I wouldnt either given the details here.

A CV's main job is to get you the interview (this goes for any CV), if you can bypass the interview stage (meet the owner or decisionmaker) and make a great impression, backed up by a mutual connection you'll have far more doors open to you, especially when you consider the amount of information you can garner from a CV from a teenager who hasn't worked before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Step 1: Ask your parents and relatives to ask their friends if they know of any jobs going anywhere. At your age it's more 'who you know' than 'what you know'.

Step 2: Try and get some money cutting grass, babysitting, painting, gardening and other odd jobs. Asking your relatives if they have work or know anyone who might is a good idea here too.

Step 3: Print off some 1 page CV's. Nothing fancy, just personal info, contact details, school name, stuff like that. Your best bet is to ask shops if they need someone to do some tidying in the night, or pubs might need tidying in the morning. You're cheap labour, so capitalise on this. If you go for this approach ask for the manager. Have a bit of a chat so he/she gets to know you and you don't become just another CV on the pile.

Honestly, I never heard such nonsense, CV's for Summer work from a 15/16 year old!

Back in the day, there were about 10 pubs, three restaurants, two shops and a few other summer work opportunites within cycling distance. Everyone knew everyone else and to this tell, any of my past employers who take on people of that age group for those roles do not request or expect a CV. I wouldnt either given the details here....

Kippy, you're living "back in the day," just deal with it. The overwhelming majority of employers now will require a CV for employee files if nothing else. Like it or lump it, that's the way it is.

By arguing the frivolity of them for a teen, you're only suggesting the OP go into an interview situation emptyhanded, which will turn off the vast majority of potential employers and make the OP look like the immature teen who shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

have to agree with a lot of the previous posts, it's unlikely that handing out random CVs will get you a job. What you need are contacts, your parents, their friends, relatives, your friends parents etc at your age and with no experience a solid reference and recommendation is your only card.
    another way to make contacts is to go on a basic course and network through the people you meet on that. for example when I was 16 I did the pool lifeguard course and go my first job through one of the other people on the course who happened to be a pool manager.

Kippy, you're living "back in the day," just deal with it. The overwhelming majority of employers now will require a CV for employee files if nothing else. Like it or lump it, that's the way it is.

By arguing the frivolity of them for a teen, you're only suggesting the OP go into an interview situation emptyhanded, which will turn off the vast majority of potential employers and make the OP look like the immature teen who shouldn't be taken seriously.

I am speaking on behalf of still knowing those local business' and I know for a FACT that none of them would expect or ask for CV's of people in this age group looking for casual summer work.
    Most people in rural or busy summer holiday areas running small business' still operate in this manner.
    Any details found on a CV from a person of this age are easily "filed" away if the person gets a job on another "piece of paper".

If you go to one of these business' have a discussion with the manager/senior person etc, and you get asked for a CV, that, in my opinion, means you haven't got a chance of getting a job.

As I said, CV's are a means to getting an interview and every 15/16 year old will have the same things on their CV as each other, never worked, reference from a school.

The world isn't full or formalities and paperwork everywhere, especially for casual labour.

EDIT: Sorry OP, Ive asisted in derailing the thread.
    Follow whatever advice you think is worth following and if you think doing out a CV is worthwhile, fire away.

Kippy, I think you're really doing a disservice to the OP suggesting they go into a potential employer - whom they don't know and who doesn't know them - without even so much as a 1-page typed CV with their name & number on it.

I know that if I was a manager and some unexperienced teen walked into my shop without showing any sort of prep work I would think them far too immature to trust in my company. Also, any sort of franchise will require a CV with 100% certainty so if the OP's going there s/he'll need one without a doubt.

But whatever, we all get set in our old age ;)

OP, I'll sign off here with a comment I made earlier - I would really suggest this be thought about carefully:
    ...regardless of whether or not a potential employer wants CV, it won't hurt that you have one. But it could hurt you if you don't have one. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leftyjrjr085

This all sounds very new and honestly somewhat scary to me. I mean how can I get experience if no one will give me the experience? The only experience I have is working for a newspaper The Clare People and posting two artical's a week. That was for part of my school assignment to have go out and get experience for 3months from last September - November so I guess that is impressive for my age and to put on my Cv, Right?
    It wasn't a paying job but would it really make that much of a difference on my cv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

This all sounds very new and honestly somewhat scary to me. I mean how can I get experience if no one will give me the experience? The only experience I have is working for a newspaper The Clare People and posting two artical's a week. That was for part of my school assignment to have go out and get experience for 3months from last September - November so I guess that is impressive for my age and to put on my Cv, Right?
    It wasn't a paying job but would it really make that much of a difference on my cv?

Any chance they might take you on for the Summer? Even if you're just doing some menial work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The only experience I have is working for a newspaper The Clare People and posting two artical's a week. That was for part of my school assignment to have go out and get experience for 3months from last September - November so I guess that is impressive for my age and to put on my Cv, Right?

Employers won't be one bit impressed if you don't get the spelling and punctuation right. They are fussy and old-fashioned about that sort of thing.

Advertisement