Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way of sending money home

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am looking at sending money to a Bank of Ireland account (between 1000e and 2000e). What's the cheapest ways of doing so?

I needed to send money home a while back in a rush and got killed on charges by my bank (natwest)! Don't want it to happen again!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

You can set up an account with the Post Office and send the cash for free. I've used it a few times to send money back to my Irish account to pay bills:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments?campaign=google_ip_brand&kw=post+office+international+money+transfer+xct&RMGPOPPC&campaignid=PPC_IP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wow! Didn't realise the post office offered a service like that. What's the catch? Or is there any? How could it be 100% free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Wow! Didn't realise the post office offered a service like that. What's the catch? Or is there any? How could it be 100% free?

Bank of Ireland run the Post Office banking services over here afair - that may have something to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Their exchange rates are pants.

I use www.currencyfair.com - flat charge of €3 for any transfer to a Euro account. The Post Office is, at this point in time, offering €1.207 to the £. On Currency Fair, you can get €1.239 to the £. So if you have say £1,000, you can get that into your Irish account in the form of €1,207 through the Post Office, or €1,236 via Currency Fair.

Currency Fair will probably be quicker too - I've managed same-day transfers with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

You can set up an account with the Post Office and send the cash for free. I've used it a few times to send money back to my Irish account to pay bills:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments?campaign=google_ip_brand&kw=post+office+international+money+transfer+xct&RMGPOPPC&campaignid=PPC_IP
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Their exchange rates are pants.

I use www.currencyfair.com - flat charge of €3 for any transfer to a Euro account. The Post Office is, at this point in time, offering €1.207 to the £. On Currency Fair, you can get €1.239 to the £. So if you have say £1,000, you can get that into your Irish account in the form of €1,207 through the Post Office, or €1,236 via Currency Fair.

Currency Fair will probably be quicker too - I've managed same-day transfers with it.

Thanks! Both look like good options.

Do you know if you get charged by your bank in Ireland to accept money from the UK? I got screwed - got a terrible rate from my bank, had to pay to transfer and got charged by Bank of Ireland to accept the money!

• Advertisement

Penisland wrote: »
    Do you know if you get charged by your bank in Ireland to accept money from the UK?
    Generally speaking you should not be charged for receiving Euros into a Euro account, regardless of the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks! Both look like good options.

Do you know if you get charged by your bank in Ireland to accept money from the UK? I got screwed - got a terrible rate from my bank, had to pay to transfer and got charged by Bank of Ireland to accept the money!

Did you send EUR or GBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Sorry for the late reply - I sent EUR.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sorry for the late reply - I sent EUR.........

I can't see how you should have been charged for receiving a EUR transfer into a EUR account.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I can't see how you should have been charged for receiving a EUR transfer into a EUR account.
    At the end of the day, banks can charge you for whatever the hell they want. But yes, being charged for receiving money, in the absence of an exchange, is seems very unusual. But, it's not unheard of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement