Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to say "Thank You" to a dentist?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

I've been attending my dentist for a long long time. I'd like to thank him for all his attentive dental care down through the years. What's the best way to thank him for all his work at this time, eg Thank you card, bottle of spirits, other gift, just say "thanks"...??

If you are a dentist, what has been the best acknowledgement have you received from patients?

And does anyone ever say thanks to dental nurses and receptionists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Best complement is to recommend the dentist to your family and friends. Dentists are small business people and recommendations are the best way to increase business.

A bottle of wine is nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Ank uuooh

(I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

patient of mine who used to always book in first thing in the morning got me an alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

How about a box of sweets for the lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Referrals are best way
    Ask if you leave a testimonial on their website
    Nominate for Sensitive dentist of the year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I've been attending my dentist for a long long time. I'd like to thank him for all his attentive dental care down through the years. What's the best way to thank him for all his work at this time, eg Thank you card, bottle of spirits, other gift, just say "thanks"...??

If you are a dentist, what has been the best acknowledgement have you received from patients?

And does anyone ever say thanks to dental nurses and receptionists?

Buy the Technician a bag of sweets aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

a thank you card is nice.

I still keep them from 6 years ago!

no need to put money or anything else in to it imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Gosh, has he given you free dental care? Otherwise, payment received should be (much more) than enough, no?

smeedyova wrote: »
    Gosh, has he given you free dental care? Otherwise, payment received should be (much more) than enough, no?

Depends some people want to show appreciation beyond the purely financial to show they appreciate the work and kindness shown to them.

Indeed. And I would understand that if the dentist weren't (over)charging for his/her professional services, which should always include good work and being kind. But each to his/her own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

If you go to the hairdressers, you can get a curly blowdry for approx €30, lasts 2days. I say thank you.
    If you call out a plumber, there's a call out fee before any work is even done. I say thank you.
    If you see a GP for 5-10 minutes, you pay a consult fee. I say thank you.
    If you're in a restaurant and have a nice meal, you pay for it. I say thank you.

But from time to time, I would tip/give a thank you card to these people I see regularly, out of courtesy.
    But again, each to his/her own.

That's very nice of you. Just wondering, what has your dentist ever given you "out of courtesy"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

What, say thank you, acknowledge my business? Yes. Work for free? No.
    But then neither has my hairdresser, my plumber, my local GP, or any restaurant or business;)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Depends some people want to show appreciation beyond the purely financial to show they appreciate the work and kindness shown to them.
    That's exactly it. My dentist has been very kind, attentive, helpful and given a lot of time and attention to my teeth. In a busy, impersonal world you don't come across this very often.

And I have optimal dental health! :)

Hmm. So they provide a service for which they charge, with nothing extra or free and you pay them for the service and then give them something extra for free? Seems a bit one-sided...but if that doesn't bother you. Personally, if I am being charged for a service, I pay and am polite. I wouldn't give anything extra unless the person providing the professional service clearly was going over and beyond. I expect people to do good work and to be kind so that doesn't cut it for me ;)

OP has been seeing their dentist for many many years, & they have clearly built up up a good professional relationship.
    Most suggestions here have recommended a thank you card, or a recommendation to a friend or family member, or a box of sweets. Nothing crazy, nothing hugely expensive to the OP. It's a gesture. Some people just like making gestures, not necessarily on a "tit for tat" basis. There's nothing wrong with that, and they shouldn't have to justify themselves, just as you shouldn't have to justify yourself for not wanting to make a gesture.
    Back to the OPs' question, I would agree with a well written thank you note.

I don't think some people realise how much treatment you average dentist does for free, I often do small items for patients and don't charge, or give discounts when people need a lot of treatment. I see people's children for free etc... Most dentists I know do the same. Usually I do this for my nicest patients, I expect no thanks but it nice when it comes. If you have an axe to grind about take it elsewhere. There are other issues in the dentist patient relationship apart from cost.

If you have an axe to grind about take it elsewhere.

Can you please not respond to my legitimate opinions with such aggression? The OP asked for opinions and I kindly provided mine.

Yours is not a reasonable, tolerant or respectable way in which to respond to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Can you please not respond to my legitimate opinions with such aggression? The OP asked for opinions and I kindly provided mine.

Yours is not a reasonable, tolerant or respectable way in which to respond to somebody.

Thats telling you mr moderator:rolleyes:

I think there should just be a new thread where all of you with chips on your shoulder against dentists should have to yourselves. moderator free!

Indeed. And I would understand that if the dentist weren't (over)charging for his/her professional services, which should always include good work and being kind. But each to his/her own.

This is the point you wanted to and did make here (you know nothing of how much the op paid and the op did not mention fees, this is your sore point), nothing to do with the ops question. Don't come all defensive now :rolleyes: the op feels that got more than the value of the money that was paid. I could tell from your first post you were gunning to bring this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hmm. So they provide a service for which they charge, with nothing extra or free and you pay them for the service and then give them something extra for free? Seems a bit one-sided...but if that doesn't bother you. Personally, if I am being charged for a service, I pay and am polite. I wouldn't give anything extra unless the person providing the professional service clearly was going over and beyond. I expect people to do good work and to be kind so that doesn't cut it for me ;)

Mmmm, I brought my family out for a meal. paid for food & drinks and on top of that they added 12.5% service charge... in most countries it is considered mandatory to tip porters, taxis, waiters, barmen...... for just doing their job.... There are many situations where there is this well deserved and many where it is not...
    The op is happy with the service received and wanted ideas to say thank you...

I have received wine, home made cookies, cards, book vouchers, recommendations from people who are happy with my service and care. This was never asked for or expected and is a small and satisfying treat if it happens...
    Get over yourself...

in most countries it is considered mandatory to tip porters, taxis, waiters, barmen...... for just doing their job....

This is because they are not paid a wage at all and if they are it is well below subsistence. Can you please name the countries you have visited in which it is *mandatory* to tip porters, waiters, etc., who are paid the same wage as dentists or even a wage that is above subsistence? If a dentist worked only for tips I would tip him/her. In addition, you have the choice not to go to a restaurant where you have to pay an additional service charge, people rarely have the choice to skip dental care. Perhaps you need a better example?

This is because they are not paid a wage at all and if they are it is well below subsistence. Can you please name the countries you have visited in which it is *mandatory* to tip porters, waiters, etc., who are paid the same wage as dentists or even a wage that is above subsistence? If a dentist worked only for tips I would tip him/her. In addition, you have the choice not to go to a restaurant where you have to pay an additional service charge, people rarely have the choice to skip dental care. Perhaps you need a better example?

By brushing your teeth and avoiding refined carbohydrates freqently - you can avoid nearly all operative dental care bar a very small number of exceptions. So if you don't want to pay the fees then look after your teeth and stop moaning that your neglect of your own dental health is somehow my problem and should treat you for buttons.

Now I have to start work, need those tips you know....

stop moaning that your neglect of your own dental health

What an ignorant statement. I hope you are a better dentist than you are textual reader --- can you please point to the evidence that I neglect my teeth?

What an ignorant statement.

You are fond of ignorant statements yourself...

can you please point to the evidence that I neglect my teeth?
    I lived in Germany for several years and there it is standard NOT to give injections prior to having fillings. I myself have had many fillings done without having had injections (and some really big fillings with injections) so I know for sure that the injection hurts more than the filling work itself (in most cases) and you can eat and drink immediately after the work is done. Are Irish dentists not trained to do this? I have been looking for one who will do (small) fillings without injections and all the dentists I have spoken to are totally taken aback by this suggestion. Does anybody know a German dentist working in Dublin? Or a dentist who is willing to do fillings without injections? Thanks.

QED

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lets get back on topic here..

That is not evidence that I neglect my dental health, rather that I take care of my teeth and regularly attend the dentist in order to do so.

Did your patient not turn up? Thought you were off to do some work...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Last warning for everyone.

Anymore off topic posts will be deleted and you will be infracted

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An interesting idea. One of the main reasons would be that some do their job, and some do their job well. When the latter is the case, it often ensures you don't have to come back any time soon.

• Advertisement

Lets not be dragging up old posts.

Advertisement