Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Extinguishers – Lucky Escape

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

We had a fire in the hot press this morning. The cause, apparently was electrical.

I had two dry powder fire extinguishers with which we put out the fire. The contents of the press – towels and bed linen were destroyed. I happened to be in the room at the time and we had the fire out within minutes, otherwise the house would have been gutted. There is a couch and curtains right beside the hot press.

The house is now a mess. There is of course smoke damage, but most of the mess was caused by the powder from the extinguishers. The fire brigade crew said that the powder caused them more breathing difficulties than did the smoke.

They said that rather than have the powder extinguishers refilled we should replace them with CO2 units.

Does anybody here have any knowledge of this issue?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Condatis wrote: »
    We had a fire in the hot press this morning. The cause, apparently was electrical.

I had two dry powder fire extinguishers with which we put out the fire. The contents of the press – towels and bed linen were destroyed. I happened to be in the room at the time and we had the fire out within minutes, otherwise the house would have been gutted. There is a couch and curtains right beside the hot press.

The house is now a mess. There is of course smoke damage, but most of the mess was caused by the powder from the extinguishers. The fire brigade crew said that the powder caused them more breathing difficulties than did the smoke.

They said that rather than have the powder extinguishers refilled we should replace them with CO2 units.

Does anybody here have any knowledge of this issue?

Did you tell the fire brigade that if you didnt use the 2 extinguishers,then there would be no house left and possibly dead people too.

They have breathing equipement for a reason.

Im sorry,but the attitude of the fire brigade to you on this matter is quite shocking indeed.:eek::mad:

For CO2 refills go to Doyle and Doyle in Robinhood Industrial Estate for a refill.

Thats where I go when I need to refill the CO2 extinguisher tanks for my fish tanks.:)

http://www.ddwholesale.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

paddy147 wrote: »
    Did you tell the fire brigade that if you didnt use the 2 extinguishers,then there would be no house left and possibly dead people too.

Im sorry,but the attitude of the fire brigade to you on this matter is quite shocking indeed.:eek::mad:

For CO2 refills go to Doyle and Doyle in Robinhood Industrial Estate for a refill.

Thats where I go when I need to refill the CO2 extinguisher tanks for my fish tanks.:)

The OP is an important post and your comments are seriously idiotic! Firstly, the idea of having a fire extinguisher near at hand is excellent. Secondly, the comment by the firemen was a first class recommendation and not a rebuke as inferred by your comment.

Finally, the OP is not looking for a CO2 refill - the firemen recommended that type of extinguisher (for the future)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Well in fairness now they did not complain. They made the comment as a matter of professional opinion about different models of extinguisher.

They did a first class job.

bette wrote: »
    The OP is an important post and your comments are seriously idiotic! Firstly, the idea of having a fire extinguisher near at hand is excellent. Secondly, the comment by the firemen was a first class recommendation and not a rebuke as inferred by your comment.

Finally, the OP is not looking for a CO2 refill - the firemen recommended that type of extinguisher (for the future)

Eh,I never said that having the 2 extinguishers to hand,was not an excellent idea.Quite the opposite in fact

Go and actually read my post again (post 2).

Also not only does "doyle and doyle" refill CO2 tanks,they sell all sorts and sizes of new CO2 fire extinguishers too (trade and public)

PS-The OP was also right to have and use a "powder extinguisher".......Powder for a house,due to multiple sources of ignition and flamable materials in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Eh,I never said that having the 2 extinguishers to hand,was not an excellent idea.Quite the opposite in fact

Go and actually read my post again (post 2).

Also not only does "doyle and doyle" refill CO2 tanks,they sell all sorts and sizes of new CO2 fire extinguishers too (trade and public)

PS-The OP was also right to have and use a "powder extinguisher".......Powder for a house,due to multiple sources of ignition and flamable materials in a house.

Read post #4 and digest slowly! Now stop touting that company in your trolling.
    No backseat modding please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Powder extinguisher is the messiest substance ever created by man, also completely destroys electrical equipment, i think i heard somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

CO2 will handle almost all situation you will find in a domestic situation - except hot oil fire. Clean and efficient. You will need to learn how to hold it properly as the horn will get extremely cold and can cause frostbite if not handled properly during use.

Dry powder is excellent at knocking down a fire - but it creates a cloud of powder in a confined area - great for outdoor use - not so ideal for domestic use but it will kill all fires.

But you need to balance your priority with the powder - a bit of a mess versus house burned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I've more or less decided not to refill the powder extinguishers but to get CO2 replacements. I think that I'll get a chemical one for the kitchen. That seems to be what's recommended for oil.

I also have a fire blanket in the kitchen. It's housed in a container and ready for use simply by pulling two straps. That should take care of most situations without having to resort to an extinguisher.

Im not "touting" for any company as has been falsley accused of me.

Im simply informing the OP (and anyone else reading this) the name of a company in Dublin who "specialize" in this field with regards fire suppression and CO2.

I have no link to the company whatsoever,apart from being a customer who regulary gets CO2 refills from them.And Im a happy customer too.

Alot of people (public and trade) use them for refills and for buying new CO2 tanks.

Afterall..."a little knowladge goes a long way".

Regards.

Condatis wrote: »
    I've more or less decided not to refill the powder extinguishers but to get CO2 replacements. I think that I'll get a chemical one for the kitchen. That seems to be what's recommended for oil.

I also have a fire blanket in the kitchen. It's housed in a container and ready for use simply by pulling two straps. That should take care of most situations without having to resort to an extinguisher.

Large Fire blankets can be had in Lidl or Ikea for around 10-12 euro each.

Its also worth installing a 7 year Co Alarm too,in the areas of any gas or solid fuel appliences (boiler and cooker and open fire/stove)

Hope this helps,if you ever want another one for the future.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭meercat

hi condatis
    thankfully no one was hurt
    you say an electrical fault
    can you elaborate on this
    was there an alarm panel in the hotpress or just an immersion
    was there a time clock fitted
    just for future reference
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mount_talbot

Here is a quick breakdown of the different extinguishers available and the pro's and con's of each...

ABC Dry Powder - Most versatile of all extinguishers, will safely handle Class A (Combustable material: Ppaer, wood cloth etc) Class B (Flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel, kerosene etc) Class C (Flammable Gas - Natural Gas, propane etc). Kills the fire by removing the oxygen supply.

Dry powders will also safely tackle live electrical fires, and to a lesser extent flammable metal fires (magnesium etc) as it does not react as badly as say water on that type of fire. The most common type of metal fire encountered by most people would be fireworks getting out of control.

As OP found out, it is a very messy extinguisher that can cause irritation to the skin and lungs, and is very hard to clean up after. Also, when used even for a second or two the gas used to pressurize the container will escape so the extinguisher will need a refill. But a mess is always better than no house.

Carbon Dioxide - Co2 - Will safely tackle Class B (Flammable liquids) and Class C (Flammable Gas) as well as live electrical fires.
    The extinguisher can be re-used as the propellent does not leak (unlike Dry Powder), but even so, should be re-filled after partial use. Has a very short range (1-2 meters), so if the fire is large it can prove ineffective. Not that safe in confined areas. Most fire points now in Ireland will contain both a Co2 and AFF Foam to cover all base's. Co2 removes Oxygen from the fire.

Highly effective indoors, outdoors on a windy day they are not so effective.
    It is not recommeded that you use this type of extinguisher on a Class A fire as the gas is held under high pressure and when it is expelled there is a possibility that the extinguisher will just blow hot embers all over the place possibly spreading the fire. Because Class A covers such a variety of material it is a judgement call you must make ie. if the fuel is a pile of loose paper, Co2 would be a definite no-no, but a pile of towels such as the OP encountered, Co2 should be fine, but I would personally feel safer with a dry powder.

AFFF Foam - Aqueous Film Forming Foam - Most suitable for Class B (Flammable liquids) and Class C fires (Flammable Gas)

Water based with a foam additive. smothers and cools the fire, removing the heat and oxygen. Can be messy (but not as bad as the dry powder) Can be re-used, but should be re-filled after partial use. Not to be used on electrical fires.

Water - Safe only on Class A. Cheap to buy and refill. Thats all thats going for them really. Anything other than Class A there is a risk of injury or death.

Class F Wet Chemical - Specifically designed for cooking oil/fat fires (Class F) These are primarily found in industrial sized kitchens with lots of cooking oil. Stops the fire through saponification (look it up) and are more expensive than traditional extinguishers. Unless your chip pan holds 50+ liters of oil, a fire blanket or small dry powder/co2 will do the same job.

Hope this gives you some idea on whats best for you, and sorry to hear about your misfortune. Think I have touched on all the important points, feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Advertisement