Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking off-road in The Burren

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Folks,
    Is there any decent stretch in the Burren for off-road walking ? An off-road loop would be best, but even a linear walk would do. Looking at The Burren Way on the internet, none of seems to be off-road.

I'm talking at least 2 - 3 hours off-road. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Heres a website that might be of interest to you

http://www.clarewalks.com

Also if you google "clare loop walks" it comes up with more suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, that site doesn't cover the Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Depend on what you mean by "off road". There's a road from Ballinalacken Castle towards Ballyvaughan and the majority of it is on Green Roads or very quiet public roads. You could also do a loop from the beach, up behind the National School, turn left onto the Green Raod and back down by the Cahir River, majority of this is public roads but not much traffic on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Connacht wrote: »
    Folks,
    Is there any decent stretch in the Burren for off-road walking ? An off-road loop would be best, but even a linear walk would do. Looking at The Burren Way on the internet, none of seems to be off-road.

I'm talking at least 2 - 3 hours off-road. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A lot of it is paths and tracks rather than roads. I know all the ones around ballyvaughan and Fanore because im from here. The one I would recommend and I cant find a map of it the loop from feenagh to the top of the mountain in black head. There is a farm road for about a third of it and the rest is just a worn path from people walking it. Takes a small bit less than two hours but its nice to sit down for a few minutes and look out towards Galway when you get to Black head. You wont find too many pure cross country tracks because the ground is too rough and if you fall and get hurt the landowner is liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Connacht wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm talking at least 2 - 3 hours off-road. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE

Not to use the wrong tone here or anything but park the car on the side of the road about a mile past ballinalacken castle after the turn as you hit the coast and sort of work away. I have had the kids out a few times and it's not 'walk' as such but it lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveClint

Try the Black Head Loop. http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/black-head-looped-walk/80861. The full walk is 26km and 5 hours but you can shorten it by coming back along the Caher valley road or just turn around at any point and retrace your steps. I did it a few weeks ago and if you get the weather it's awesome. The walk starts in Fanore, at the beach where there is plenty of parking and the signposts are excellent. I would recommend going at least to the Gleninagh pass for the views alone. From the beach to there and back would be between 2 and 3 hours. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Black head is a great spot. You don't really need a marked route. Just park near the lighthouse, head northeast up the hill and you have a choice of peaks to aim for and when you've done enough, just head towards the sea and join a trail back to the lighthouse. Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

Turn right at the gates of Ballinlacken Castle hotel. This is a quiet country road but avery steep climb and goes on for approx 2 1/2 miles. you can drive up for about 2 miles and park on the left before the road becomes a green road after the last house on the right. Green road for approx 45mins, then cross minor road and green again for 15mins. Cross minor road and green for about 1 hour. The views up here are spectacular. On your descent down to the caher valley you can see the green road rising in front of you. When reach the caher river on your right you cross at a junction and green road again for another hour. Very steep climb. when you reach the bottom of the hill on the other side of the mountain you join a minor road for about 40 minutes river flowing along the side of the road, very pleasant walk. At the end of this road you briefly join the N67 main road before turning left for Newtown Castle (Burren College of Art) quiet minor road. At the castle (coffee Shop) turn right and after a few hundred yards turn into a field which is part of the Ballyvaughan wood loop. Come out in Ballyvaughan village by the GAA pitch and primary School.All of this is waymarked and can be done in sections.
    When you reach the caher river you can go left down the valley (birthplace of John O'Donoghue Anam Cara) into Fanore. Stop at the bridge and view the award winning garden.
    Ballinalacken to Ballyvaughan in total is about 4-5 hours depending on fitness levels etc

You may find this map helpful as it includes all the walks in Nort Clare http://www.clareceb.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Tourism-Map-North-Clare.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks a million for all your great answers.
    Now give me an idea of where is Ballinalacken Castle ???

• Advertisement

ballinalcken castle hotel is abot 2 1/2 miles outside lisdoonvarna on the coast road to Fanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveClint

The view on The Black Head Loop walk looking over Galway Bay.
    IMG_2156.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

super view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

DaveClint wrote: »
    The view on The Black Head Loop walk looking over Galway Bay.
    IMG_2156.JPG

if you walk along that section to the "point" where you can see into Fanore you can follow a bit of a wall straight up the face and you come to an old fort thing, which is quite impressive, you can ramble all over the top of the mountain from there.

Thats whats class about the Burren, its so open you walk around and not really get lost because you can see where you are most of the time, an there no rivers or bogs to get caught up in either.

Advertisement