Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ONE OF THE CHEAPEST PLACES IN THE WORLD TO BUY AGRICULTURAL LAND…

Options
  • 08-05-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

ONE OF THE CHEAPEST PLACES IN THE WORLD TO BUY AGRICULTURAL LAND… - Sovereign Man

I regularly follow the above blog which often discusses the future of agriculture, but on a global level, the link is to today's post on that website, It is very much in line with my own thinking of the future of Agriculture, as it the future is bright, but major change needs to be made to the current system including the ending of subsidies. What are your opinions?
    Owning a farm or ranch is like owning physical gold. Instead of trading one kind of paper (fiat currency) for another (ETFs), buying agricultural property or physical gold is essentially trading paper for a real asset.

Regionally, the best deal in the world right now on a risk-adjusted basis for farmland or grazing land is definitely Latin America, specifically Chile, Uruguay, and here in Paraguay.
    To give you an example, a friend of mine is looking at a 5,000-acre plot in the central Chaco for less than $300,000.

On the other side of the country near the quaint town of Paraguari, I’ve seen a small 50-acre, fully planted personal farm with a spacious home for just over $100,000. Based on my math, they’re selling the house for the cost of construction and giving away the land for free. Not a bad deal…

It may seem a bit much but $300,000 or €230,000 gets a 5,000 acre farm in Paraguay. Would anybody on here be tempted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

a lot of people would be interested when they are still young pplus it would be esier to adapt
    you would want to be familar with the farming system that you would have to deal with saying that you could buy a 270 acre dairy farm in england for just over a millon so maybe you wouldn t have to move that far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

a lot of people would be interested when they are still young pplus it would be esier to adapt
    you would want to be familar with the farming system that you would have to deal with saying that you could buy a 270 acre dairy farm in england for just over a millon so maybe you wouldn t have to move that far

good dairy farms are cheaper in ireland than they are in england at the moment

as for south america , they have fantastic land in those countries but the industry is not near as developed as in europe or new zealand , you also need to be able to speak spanish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

http://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/search/detail.aspx?PropertyRef=10473_1798972

i don t know what the land is like says grade 2
    i don t know what that means nor does it mention any milk quota
    but it would be a fast way to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

that place in the uk has a lease in place. So may be a few years before you could milk cows yourself on it. As it stands there is a rent of 16k per annum which is about 2% return

Advertisement