Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ales in Tesco

Options
  • 08-05-2012 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco Mullingar today and they've a fairly broad range of ales on sale. I'd say about 20 different types :). Maybe more. Any 5x500ml bottles for a tenner and offers on the 330ml bottles too.
    Just wish I'd more cash on me as it would have been a great opportunity to start sampling more ales without breaking the bank. As it was all I took away was 4 cans of Abbot for 6 Euro. Still good value I think.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

It's a good deal alright, good choice. Certainly will hit the sales of the smaller off-licences with nice beers.

In my experience though, the variety won't last long, and the range available will shrink severly back to Erdinger, Bishops Finder, London Pride some O'Haras, and some Polish Lagers. Always amazed how the giant Tescos can still have a worse selection of beers than some small Centras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is this Tescos everywhere, I live near Rathmines might check out its offie later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is this Tescos everywhere, I live near Rathmines might check out its offie later?

Yep nationwide http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056625067

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Valid until the 20th!? Excellent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

5 Clotworthy Dobbin for €10 is an excellent deal. Picked up 10 of those, and 5 O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale in Tesco Stillorgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tesco in Lucan has bucketloads of Clotworthy Dobbin if any other poster here is in the area and fancies buying a few bottles of it.
    In fact, the selection in Lucan this evening was excellent.

If you want an even better deal, I saw Bishops Finger and Spitfire in Lidl in for about €1.30 something yesterday. Not the same variety obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

bishops finger and spitfire could be going for 10c a bottle and i still wouldnt touch the stuff.......horrid beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

bishops finger and spitfire could be going for 10c a bottle and i still wouldnt touch the stuff.......horrid beer

Spitfire I can understand as it is quite bland but Bishops Finger is quite a nice ale, better than a lot of the other more expensive ones.
    I don't like O'Hara's I really don't get the fuss whereby a lot of the english ales and bitters are quite nice IMHO.
    I won't even mentions smitwicks, Macardles on the other hand is quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Honesty I just dont get the love people have for any 'sheperds neame' beers. Never had a good one, and for some reason people tend to buy me them for my birthday and xmas.
    Another beer that I cant understand the love-in for is Curim Gold....The only Carlow Brewing beer I just cant drink!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Honesty I just dont get the love people have for any 'sheperds neame' beers. Never had a good one, and for some reason people tend to buy me them for my birthday and xmas.
    Another beer that I cant understand the love-in for is Curim Gold....The only Carlow Brewing beer I just cant drink!

I'm the exact same
    Herself knows to ask me before getting me a treat and I'm for ever reminding her that those neame beers are rank, that gold stuff tastes like something is missing its hard to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Maybe my tastebuds are going as I get older :)

Dare I say I also like Old Speckled Hen, London Pride and am partial to the odd tetley bitter.
    I tried some nice ales in the balck sheep recently but they all lacked the fruity dark, strong taste of the bishop.
    It might not be to everyones taste but at least there is a taste to it, most ales taste like dishwater, O haras included IMHO

Any suggestions for other ales that I might try in comparison?
    Cheers.

sham69 wrote: »
    Spitfire I can understand as it is quite bland but Bishops Finger is quite a nice ale, better than a lot of the other more expensive ones.
    I don't like O'Hara's I really don't get the fuss whereby a lot of the english ales and bitters are quite nice IMHO.
    I won't even mentions smitwicks, Macardles on the other hand is quite tasty.

Shepherd Neame's beers can be a tad "funky" tasting. I still like Bishops Finger though as a it packs a good flavour in. You see Spitfire marketed around the place, almost like a lager, so my impression is that it was created as a Shepherd Neame beer that's more palatable for the UK mass market (i.e. less flavour and lower alcohol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Honesty I just dont get the love people have for any 'sheperds neame' beers.
    donaghs wrote: »
    Shepherd Neame's beers can be a tad "funky" tasting. I still like Bishops Finger though as a it packs a good flavour in. You see Spitfire marketed around the place, almost like a lager, so my impression is that it was created as a Shepherd Neame beer that's more palatable for the UK mass market (i.e. less flavour and lower alcohol).

I've heard, perhaps on this board in the past, that it's the yeast they use that some people just don't like the taste it imparts.

That and clear bottles. :rolleyes:

I don't like any of the Neame's stuff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good to know about Mullingar. Kineegad is as rubbish as ever.
    Tullamore has a fantastic selection now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tried Spitfire and Bishops finger yesterday, didn't think much of the spitfire but I quite liked the Bishops Finger and at 1.33 I'll be buying a few more,

Here are some of my reviews of the Tesco Beers
    Erdinger (Krstal),5/10 Didn't think much, very fizzy
    Erdinger (Weissbrau)8/10 ,Lovely and smooth
    Youngs Double Choc Stout 7/10, even the miss's liked this
    Belfast black stout 9/10, the nicest stout I've had in a while
    Wells Bananna Bread Beer 7/10, nice beer with the finishing taste of bananna
    Porter House Wrasslers Stout 7/10 strong and heavy,wouldn't drink more than 2 in one session
    Porter House Oyster Stout 8/10 lighter than previous, could easily drink 5 of these guys
    Porter House Hop Head Ale 6/10 a nit "meh" for me, it's no O'Hara's
    Fruli Strawberry Beer 6/10 nice, a bit alchopopy for me, try it once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A I suspected Tescos Rathmines selection was crap on thursday when I was in there, no "choice of 50 world beers" just 2 wheat beers, 2 Shepherd Neames London Pride and Honey Bee, was hoping to at least get some O' Hara's IPA, Leann Folláin's and Brewers Dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056625067&page=13

a lot of people here seem happy to try all these "new" beers.

was in Maynooth today and they had a pretty good selection, deffo not 40 but enough to make me happy.

4 cans of Ruddles county ale @ €6.
    Clothworty Dobbin.
    Belfast Black
    Harvest Pale
    Old Peculier
    Moonraker
    Brewer's Dark
    The Govener
    Goose Island
    Plain Porter

looking forward to trying the J.W LEES beers as had them a few weeks ago in Manchester in the RAIN BAR.

Glads to see the cans of ales on sale as i go to a few festivals during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Damn, I feel like I'm really missing out here. The Tesco on Fleet St (beside Temple Bar) has a pretty poor selection of beers; couple of German beers, couple of Czech ones and O'Hara's Curim. They used to sell Fuller's London Pride but they seem to have stopped. For a while they sold some Inis & Gunn which I was delighted about but that was short-lived, too.

Re the Shepherd Neame debate, I have to agree with a few of the others that, although Spitfire can be a bit meh, Bishop's Finger is lovely. I think Shepherd Neame beers are quite mild in general compared to, say, Fullers or Youngs, though, so I can understand why people wouldn't really go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I picked up some Sneider Weisse Wheat beer from Tesco in Douglas, Cork. Really enjoyed it, but not good for my IBS. Haven't seen Porterhouse available anywhere in Cork yet. Will be getting my hands on them when they become available. As for Carlow Brewing Company, I didn't think their ales were anything special, but their stout is great. Whitewater Brewery is excellent IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Picked up a fair few of these in Tesco Arthurs Quay Limerick. Got the Erdinger Dunkel, Kristal, Weissbrau and Schneider Weiss Tap 7 all of which were nice. Also got O'Hara's Pale Ale which was lovely. The only one I thought was awful was Whitewater Copperhead. Absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Sergeant wrote: »
    5 Clotworthy Dobbin for €10 is an excellent deal. Picked up 10 of those, and 5 O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale in Tesco Stillorgan.

was in McHugh's offie on friday and Clotworthy Dobblin were 5 for €10 also.

not giving my money to tesco.

Was in a resonably large Tesco this weekend. None of the new interesting beers left, e.g. Fursty Ferret. There still appeared to be some sort of "5 for €10" deal still going in a very limited form, but the only beers I could see in it were ones they stocked before the deal began, e.g. Erdinger, London Pride, Pilsner Urquell, Carlow Curim, Tiger, and one or two others. Bit disappointing.

I asked one of the staff on the aisle if they were getting them back. He had never heard of the rarer beers but said if they werent there anymore they were unlikely to reappear. So is this end of Tescos most recent attempt at introducing some interesting variety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

had some of them this weekend and still don't know what do people see in Curim Gold.. also tried Smithwicks pale ale, which seemed to be half bottle of regular Smithwicks with half bottle of water. Old Peculier wasn't too bad, maybe quite strong, Honey Dew (I admit it, I like it, really)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

donaghs wrote: »
    Was in a resonably large Tesco this weekend. None of the new interesting beers left, e.g. Fursty Ferret. There still appeared to be some sort of "5 for €10" deal still going in a very limited form, but the only beers I could see in it were ones they stocked before the deal began, e.g. Erdinger, London Pride, Pilsner Urquell, Carlow Curim, Tiger, and one or two others. Bit disappointing.

I asked one of the staff on the aisle if they were getting them back. He had never heard of the rarer beers but said if they werent there anymore they were unlikely to reappear. So is this end of Tescos most recent attempt at introducing some interesting variety?
    All Tescos are not created equally. The one in Ballybrack has exactly the selection you are describing, but if you go to Tesco in Bray (which has a stand-alone off-license) they have a sizable selection of ales (all part of the offer).

All Tescos are not created equally. The one in Ballybrack has exactly the selection you are describing, but if you go to Tesco in Bray (which has a stand-alone off-license) they have a sizable selection of ales (all part of the offer).

Yes, but the Tesco I was describing had a massive selection only a week ago. As I was saying, it will be interesting to see how long the offer lasts...

Advertisement