Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.P.S. MAINTAINANCE

Options
  • 07-05-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

hi lads ive had my a.p.s. m4 awhile now with no problems . 1 AND A HALF YEARS.

nothing ever broke on it or anything thank god - good for a.p.s. . i open it up and lubricate the blowback (internally and externally) after every game and give it a good wipe down externally . i never done more than slide the frame off to do so .

SHOULD I SERVICE MY GUN IF THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT .
    HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

boxinginfo wrote: »
    hi lads ive had my a.p.s. m4 awhile now with no problems . 1 AND A HALF YEARS.

nothing ever broke on it or anything thank god - good for a.p.s. . i open it up and lubricate the blowback (internally and externally) after every game and give it a good wipe down externally . i never done more than slide the frame off to do so .

SHOULD I SERVICE MY GUN IF THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT .
    HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST .

One and a half years!:eek:

When I bought mine brand new it didn't even last me two days. All I got in the end was cheek from M.I.A. and A.P.S. ... and a broken AEG.

Hell, even after market parts from A.P.S. won't fit in their own products. Piece of **** I'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭boxinginfo

haha you must of got a dud , hope you got a replacement with that cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

dud.. APS.. good one :P I'm impressed with the APS M4 lasting so long. well this is kind of a 50:50 th way i see it, airsoft is a hobby/sport which in my experience really runs on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' way of thinking but than again a year and a half is a long time, especially for APS so it may not hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

If you are getting it serviced then you may get it shimmed and have a bearing spring guide put in too. These will help it run smoothly. Also the tech may be able to adjust the AOE (Angle Of Engagement) too which'll be good for the system.

Good to see another APS user, although mine isn't quite 1 1/2 years just yet it stills runs well with only hopup issues being my problem. I disabled the blowback in mine for an increased ROF myself. I love my APS and have added a lot of things onto it externaly, put the only internal changes I made were a new hopup, TBB barrel and spring guide change. But these are pretty standard things.

If you get those small changes that I mentioned then they should help the APS run more smoothly and last longer. If your APS isn't broken, don't worry. The ones that broke seemed to have done it quickly and the ones that didn't don't seem to be doing too badly for themselves.

Edit: Normal service cost by an experienced airsoft tech ranges from €20-€30 plus price of parts. Shims are €5-€10, spring guide is €10-15 and AOE should be free as it's just adjustment. Prices will vary on brand and where they're bought. Some techs will install the items for you if you bought them yourself which may or may not be cheaper. You can research that. I'd suggest contacting your local airsoft retailer or contact one of the retailers on here in the retailer section for price quotes. Specify what work you need done and they should be able to tell you the cost and time.

Edit 2: all prices for parts are my estimates, they may be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

Bought it in June 2011... now it's May 2012...

Sent it back five times... came back broken every time...

Does it look like I want another replacement from M.I.A.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There are really only two ways of going about it:

-Preemptive strike: Regular servicing - replace parts that are showing signs of wear, as well as adjusting things like shimming, AOE (Angle of Engagement), as well as possibly mildly upgrading with things like bearing piston heads and spring guides.

- If it ain't broke, then don't make it that way! Replace parts as they break. If your piston goes, replace the piston. If your gears go, replace them etc. Or, at least wait until something DOES break to go in and make the gearbox stronger and more reliable.

Unfortunately there is no definite 'best' way, and it's all down to you personally. Just make sure that whoever is doing the work is competent (including if you decide to do the work yourself). Realistically you should be able to hear anything out of the ordinary in the rifle - if you do, then a preemptive strike is best; it is typically just a case of re-shimming, re-greasing, and in general just re-seating everything to ensure it's functioning as designed.

That said, factor in how much the gun cost versus any future purchases you have in mind. If you have gotten 1 & 1/2 years out of the rifle, and are thinking of going for something more upmarket, then that is where I would concentrate my funds instead of servicing a gun that you will likely replace in the near future

Advertisement