Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Macro question

Options
  • 07-05-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right place to put this.

I just got a short question that's really bugging me in macroeconomics and if anyone could help me it would be great.

Q: The CSO has provided the following GNP data:
    2008 2009
    Current prices €154,672m €131,241m
    Constant prices €154,672m €138,161m

The economic growth rate in nominal terms in 2009 rounded to one decimal place
    a) -10.7%
    b) -17.9%
    c) -15.1%
    d) -12.0

If anyone could show me how to get the correct answer would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's the difference between the two years divided by the current year times 100. So basically 2009-2008 = Difference. Difference/2009*100 = answer. Constant prices are nominal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

It's the difference between the two years divided by the current year times 100. So basically 2009-2008 = Difference. Difference/2009*100 = answer. Constant prices are nominal.

Wouldn't it be 2008 minus 2009 divided by 2008? Since economic growth in 2009 is the percentage change in 2008's GDP.

And I think current prices are nominal, since constant prices take into account inflation by setting a base year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Yeah I'm not sure is it based from constant or current prices because there is an answer if I try for both sums in the (a)(b)(c)(d) options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Finical wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sure is it based from constant or current prices because there is an answer if I try for both sums in the (a)(b)(c)(d) options.

its meant to be new - old divided by old x 100.

This is a basic formula used in economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

andrew wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be 2008 minus 2009 divided by 2008? Since economic growth in 2009 is the percentage change in 2008's GDP.

And I think current prices are nominal, since constant prices take into account inflation by setting a base year.

Yea, that's it. Read the first figures as 2009 and not 2008. Can never remember constant or current prices. :o Answer for both is given in the options which didn't help me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Thanks a lot guys. It was bugging at me all day!

Advertisement