Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would like to talk to some planespotters for an article

Options
  • 07-05-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am doing an article for Totally Dublin about planespotting to feature in the June issue. I would like to talk to some planespotters or even meet them on the old airport road where they take photos to ask a few questions about the hobby and possibly get a photograph.
    The reason I am doing the article is because I am interested in unusual hobbies and activities that people do that aren't the usual run of the mill thing. The article will hopefully be an account about planespotting, what is the appeal to it, a little bit of detail about the planespotting community, and why Dublin airport is good for it. Ideally I would love to get out for an hour or so with a planespotter or two and do a short interview.
    If you would like to help me out, please contact me at darraghmc@gmail.com and I would greatly appreciate it.
    My name is Darragh McCausland.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

When would you want to do the interview, i'm a very keen planespotter and have a huge interest in aviation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darraghmc80

Hi Ohigg84! thanks for the reply. I would be keen to get it done this week. Are you based in Dublin and if so would you be available to meet me out while planespotting? That would be ideal, and what I would really like to do. I am free every day from 3.30. If not, I could arrange an interview over the phone.

Let me know what you think and then we can arrange contact.

Just to bump this thread if that is okay? I am still very keen to meet one or more planespotters out around Dublin airport for an article for Totally Dublin. Please email me or reply here if you are interested in taking part.

Also: if you have any questions about the potential piece I am more than happy to answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Hi Darragh, not a spotter but perhaps you might find it more productive here:

http://www.worldairpics.com/forum/

Frank the administrator might be a useful contact.

Someone was even complaining that it was full of spotters.:D

Should warn you, there are spotters and there are aviation enthusiasts. So if you'll need to note the difference in your article. There are some characters who are virtually autistic in their spotting. Indeed some probably are. The write everything down and fulfil all the cliches, complete with anoraks, obsession and social ineptitude. But I think it's fair to say if it wasn't aircraft there would be something else to obsess on.

But most are perfectly normal people with an enthusiasm for aircraft. I have several friends who indulge and have even stood outside the fence with them. They have wives, (long suffering it's true), good jobs and the rest. Even some pilots indulge! But we're already obsessive so it's no surprise.:o

You will not be popular if your article concentrates on the weird ones. But I'm sure many would be only too delighted to help dispel the myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

xflyer wrote: »
    Hi Darragh, not a spotter but perhaps you might find it more productive here:

http://www.worldairpics.com/forum/

Frank the administrator might be a useful contact.

Someone was even complaining that it was full of spotters.:D

Should warn you, there are spotters and there are aviation enthusiasts. So if you'll need to note the difference in your article. There are some characters who are virtually autistic in their spotting. Indeed some probably are. The write everything down and fulfil all the cliches, complete with anoraks, obsession and social ineptitude. But I think it's fair to say if it wasn't aircraft there would be something else to obsess on.

But most are perfectly normal people with an enthusiasm for aircraft. I have several friends who indulge and have even stood outside the fence with them. They have wives, (long suffering it's true), good jobs and the rest. Even some pilots indulge! But we're already obsessive so it's no surprise.:o

You will not be popular if your article concentrates on the weird ones. But I'm sure many would be only too delighted to help dispel the myths.

Aerosexuals :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for this helpful information. The article most certainly not portray spotting in a weird light. I am fascinated primarily because I brought a child I mind out there (behind the airport) and was amazed at the amount of people who seemed to be there - also that there was a burger van. I had never heard of the hobby prior to that.
    I am always fascinated by things that are not everyday or the usual - not necessarily weird at all. My article would just explore the hobby, what are its attractions, etc...
    Thanks again

Hi everyone I am still looking for a little help with this so please DM me. Also, I will be out around the old airport road with a photographer tomorrow if any of you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm not based in Dublin (Shannon in fact) but could still speak to you if you like

thanks highlydebased!! If you DM me your number I might call you briefly tomorrow (ten minutes or so really)

Hi everyone, I've already talked to a few spotters for this article but we still need a photo for the magazine of a spotter or spotters out taking part in spotting (with equipment or whatever). If there is anyone in the Dublin area who could do this, we could pick you up! Anytime Thursday after 3pm would be great! If that is possible?

also if nobody can make it do you know if Thursday would be a good time to just head out and meet people? Like Thursday evening?

• Advertisement

Hi thanks to anyone who helped with this piece. It is in the current issue of Totally Dublin which should be available tomorrow onwards around the city. I know it available in places like Tower Records and the Epicurian Food Hall, Trinity College, the IFI and other bars/ record shops/ coffee shops and places around the city. I have the address of two people who helped me out so I will be able to post them copies (but it will be next week as I personally live in Kells).
    Thanks again for help with the article.
    Darragh

Advertisement