Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best gearbox manufacturer

Options
  • 07-05-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

which,in your opinion, is the best v2 gearbox make and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

dinnybyrne wrote: »

you're really going to open up those gates are you :rolleyes:
    here we go again :p

Everyone here is going to have a different answer. the one probably best regarded as the best drop in gearbox is the SYSTEMA ones, then the ultimates claim to be just as good but cheaper, haven't had experience with them but was talking to someone who won one and he liked it.
    some people are going to say VFC, G&G , G&P and KA. I personally side with G&G purely because I've owned 3 of their AEG's two of which run a V2 gearbox and haven't had a single problem. I lef tout the China ones as it has been a while since I've used an AEG with one but the DBOYS in their new M4 CQB AEG is apparently very good.
    VFC's if memory recalls are usually used in high speed set ups. I can't comment on G&P's but heard they're pretty damn good, especially in the last couple of months. KA personally I don't like them, they're expensive and in my past experience with 3 KA V2 gearboxes always broke.
    whu do you ask? are you just curious or are you looking for a V2 gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

The one that's custom built to your exact requirements.

VFC are good, but I'm not a fan of their gears at the moment, so I swap them with SHS 13:1 ratio gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Do you want plastic shells? metal sheels? re-inforced metal shells? 6mm bushings? 7mm bushings? 8mm bushings?

Do you want to run a stock set up? High-speed? Some sort of frankenstein set up?

etc.

etc.

etc.

There is no one "what am best" gearbox, just whatever is the best fit for your requirements, as Lefty has suggested. With one exception: anyone suggesting a plastic shell needs sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

T4RGET wrote: »

you're really going to open up those gates are you :rolleyes:
    here we go again :p

Everyone here is going to have a different answer. the one probably best regarded as the best drop in gearbox is the SYSTEMA ones, then the ultimates claim to be just as good but cheaper, haven't had experience with them but was talking to someone who won one and he liked it.
    some people are going to say VFC, G&G , G&P and KA. I personally side with G&G purely because I've owned 3 of their AEG's two of which run a V2 gearbox and haven't had a single problem. I lef tout the China ones as it has been a while since I've used an AEG with one but the DBOYS in their new M4 CQB AEG is apparently very good.
    VFC's if memory recalls are usually used in high speed set ups. I can't comment on G&P's but heard they're pretty damn good, especially in the last couple of months. KA personally I don't like them, they're expensive and in my past experience with 3 KA V2 gearboxes always broke.
    whu do you ask? are you just curious or are you looking for a V2 gearbox?
    just want to open the floodgates as you say!curious mostly but was also thinking that in the future when i wanna blow a fortune on the ultimate aeg which gearbox i should get!yeah i watched socoms reviews on the ultimate gearbox and for me its a toss up between that or a kwa

kinda giving up on the custom gearbox lads cos my lack of skills ends up causing problems!i want perfection from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

kinda giving up on the custom gearbox lads cos my lack of skills ends up causing problems!i want perfection from the get go.

well the best thing to do is get the custom gearbox built then, alot of people here build their own AEG with custom part. THE MINER, DeBurca, Leftyflip, just to name a few. maybe ask them? I've wanted an Ultimate gearbox since I seen them on airsofteire's website so dying to see how they perform when they're actually in an AEG.

well the best thing to do is get the custom gearbox built then, alot of people here build their own AEG with custom part. THE MINER, DeBurca, Leftyflip, just to name a few. maybe ask them? I've wanted an Ultimate gearbox since I seen them on airsofteire's website so dying to see how they perform when they're actually in an AEG.
    well im comfortable opening the gearbox a changing this and that but when it comes to getting optimal performance it gets quite tricky.....anyway this is off topic,some more opinions on the best gearbox please :)

well im comfortable opening the gearbox a changing this and that but when it comes to getting optimal performance it gets quite tricky.....anyway this is off topic,some more opinions on the best gearbox please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

KWA gearboxes are excellent, gears are sh-it hot in my opinion. But the kwa gearboxes Im afraid they are different to your standard gearbox. I have read on a few forums about them fitting in other aeg receivers but with modification to it.

As far as I know I only think you can KWA gearboxes from KWAUSA (dont hold me to that).

I think the safer option would be ASG ultimate. I looked at socom's vid as well and the quality seems to be seriously good. Pair that with a raptor mosfet and id say your on to a serious bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There is absolutely, without any exception, no single best manufacturer of complete gearboxes, and unfortunately that's all there is.

Gearboxes are very basic in design - 3 gears (and the fourth gear, the pinion on the motor) rotate pulling back a piston which sends a puff of air through the air nozzle, firing a BB.

Put simply, the best gearbox is one custom made (by someone competent) for your requirements.

• Advertisement

Inari wrote: »
    There is absolutely, without any exception, no single best manufacturer of complete gearboxes, and unfortunately that's all there is.

Gearboxes are very basic in design - 3 gears (and the fourth gear, the pinion on the motor) rotate pulling back a piston which sends a puff of air through the air nozzle, firing a BB.

Put simply, the best gearbox is one custom made (by someone competent) for your requirements.
    cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong dinny but going by your thread you just want a good quality gearbox, pre-assembled to just throw in to your aeg?

Well in fairness you did pretty much say that your giving up on custom gearboxes. You just want something that will hurl a plastic ball down range and not too fussy if it can do this at an extremely high ROF.

Personally I do think there are better gearbox manufacturers that are better than each other for various reasons. The build quality of parts for example like gears, pistons and shells varies from brand to brand some are better than others and that is the way it will stay.

If you want an all round, good quality gearbox pre-assembled just research it, you probably have, people are really happy with g&p, vfc, g&g, kwa completely stock if a gun is running perfect why upgrade the balls out of the gearbox just for the sake of extra ROF ask socom how he's getting on.

Correct me if I'm wrong dinny but going by your thread you just want a good quality gearbox, pre-assembled to just throw in to your aeg?

Well in fairness you did pretty much say that your giving up on custom gearboxes. You just want something that will hurl a plastic ball down range and not too fussy if it can do this at an extremely high ROF.

Personally I do think there are better gearbox manufacturers that are better than each other for various reasons. The build quality of parts for example like gears, pistons and shells varies from brand to brand some are better than others and that is the way it will stay.

If you want an all round, good quality gearbox pre-assembled just research it, you probably have, people are really happy with g&p, vfc, g&g, kwa completely stock if a gun is running perfect why upgrade the balls out of the gearbox just for the sake of extra ROF ask socom how he's getting on.
    cheers, yeah il keep an eye out for socoms part 3 of the review.its not a replacement for a current gearbox just keepin an eye out fora gun in the future!!yeah i did my research alright,kwa or the ultimate are top rankers so for.....

cheers, yeah il keep an eye out for socoms part 3 of the review.its not a replacement for a current gearbox just keepin an eye out fora gun in the future!!yeah i did my research alright,kwa or the ultimate are top rankers so for.....

Well I have a KWA and love it, would recommend it to anyone, only gripe is the hop-up rubber which will soon be changed but other than that there excellent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

You see the problem is when using words like 'perfection' and 'ultimate' to describe what you want/expect from a gearbox is that they just do not accurately reflect what's on the market, purely because what you and I look for are two very different things.

So what are you looking for in your ultimate AEG? Super high ROF, crisp trigger response, a hair trigger, silently running, powered by 11.1v lipo, shooting accurately and consistently beyond 40m? Or do you have any preference at all? The parts you want/need all depend on what you expect/want from the gearbox

You need a good solid gearbox shell with rounded corners that help dissipate the force/impact evenly, avoiding stress building up in one area (this causes shells to crack), the correct cylinder for your barrel length (i.e. ported/non-ported), gears that suit your ROF want/need, possibly a MOSFET trigger, correct spring, suitable piston with AoE mod (angle of engagement; basically reducing the wear on the piston by ensuring where the gears pick it up distributes the force evenly, avoiding the last tooth from shearing), bushings or bearings (depending on your needs), bearing spring guide & piston head, good air seal, properly shimmed and put together with patience, precision and care to the finished product. If you're not going for MOSFET trigger, then you need a low resistance switch assembly with good quality wiring, and compatible selector plate and cutoff lever (stay with the same brand for those three parts to ensure proper compatibility).

The more I think about it, the more I realise that there just is not a finished product out there that just drops in to suit 'best'. I mean I'm all for "If it's not broken, don't fix it" and am one of the biggest advocates of not upgrading without need...but if you're going for the best there is, then you really need it built for you. If you're not confident in it yourself, then get someone who is to do it for you.

Inari wrote: »
    You see the problem is when using words like 'perfection' and 'ultimate' to describe what you want/expect from a gearbox is that they just do not accurately reflect what's on the market, purely because what you and I look for are two very different things.

So what are you looking for in your ultimate AEG? Super high ROF, crisp trigger response, a hair trigger, silently running, powered by 11.1v lipo, shooting accurately and consistently beyond 40m? Or do you have any preference at all? The parts you want/need all depend on what you expect/want from the gearbox

You need a good solid gearbox shell with rounded corners that help dissipate the force/impact evenly, avoiding stress building up in one area (this causes shells to crack), the correct cylinder for your barrel length (i.e. ported/non-ported), gears that suit your ROF want/need, possibly a MOSFET trigger, correct spring, suitable piston with AoE mod (angle of engagement; basically reducing the wear on the piston by ensuring where the gears pick it up distributes the force evenly, avoiding the last tooth from shearing), bushings or bearings (depending on your needs), bearing spring guide & piston head, good air seal, properly shimmed and put together with patience, precision and care to the finished product. If you're not going for MOSFET trigger, then you need a low resistance switch assembly with good quality wiring, and compatible selector plate and cutoff lever (stay with the same brand for those three parts to ensure proper compatibility).

The more I think about it, the more I realise that there just is not a finished product out there that just drops in to suit 'best'. I man I'm all for "If it's not broken, don't fix it" and am one of the biggest advocates of not upgrading without need...but if you're g
    ioing for the best there is, then you really need it built for you. If you're not confident in it yourself, then get someone who is to do it for you.
    thanks for that convincing arguement inari!
    i guess all the things you mentioned just arent available in the one gearbox?im new enough to this airsoft millarky so im still learning. I guess i dont know what i want if you cant have it all?

Advertisement