Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American citizen trying to adopt in Ireland

Options
  • 07-05-2012 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

My wife and I are American citizens living in Ireland. We are in the early stages of the process to complete a foreign adoption, and I'm wondering if anyone (especially American citizens) out there has gone through this. I find the HSE adoption people to be friendly, but not overly specific in answering my questions. As I work through the paperwork mountain, I saw that we needed police clearance from the US. When I sought clarification on this, I was told that I needed background checks from police departments AND clearance papers from Child Protection Services agencies in EACH STATE where my wife or I have resided SINCE BIRTH. For us, that will mean 16 different background checks. After contacting each of these states, I have learned that some require me to be physically IN the states for fingerprinting to do this. Also, each of these checks involve fees of between $10-30 each. Can all this really be necessary? Seems so very redundant. Is there not a way to do a nation-wide background check through the FBI or something? I keep thinking that someone else must have gone through this. ANY information is appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Can all this really be necessary? Seems so very redundant.

This is all I can comment on... It is probably more important now than ever.. The last thing the HSE want is to recommend someone for a child to be placed with them and then down the road something sinister happens.. It's important that only people with clear backgrounds are put forward as adoptive parents.. the welfare of the child is foremost, not the convenience of the paperwork for the perspective parents..

I'd suggest you contact the American Embassy, explain your situation and see if there is a more far reaching report that can be done... Maybe you've already done that??

We've been through the process so I understand it, but it's very necessary indeed..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

I know nothing about adoption but I have got a copy of my FBI record before. You need to send them your fingerprints and a money order. I did the fingerprints myself and it took a few weeks to get the record. Anytime a person gets arrested the information gets sent to the FBI so it would be on the FBI record, that might work for you?
    How do I obtain a copy of my FBI Identification Record for personal review?

You may obtain a copy of your FBI Identification Record by sending a request to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    CJIS Division
    Attention: Record Request
    1000 Custer Hollow Road
    Clarksburg , WV 26306

You are required to provide the following :

1) Your written request.

2) Payment for the $18 processing fee, either by certified check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury, or a credit card. For credit card payment information, visit the Identification Record Request website.

3) A current, original tenprint fingerprint submission (not previously processed) taken by a local law enforcement agency and bearing your name, date of birth, and place of birth. Key information needed is magnified below.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

bbam wrote: »
    ...the welfare of the child is foremost, not the convenience of the paperwork for the perspective parents..

I agree with you, in part, but also am aware that a huge number of couples who would gladly adopt if it weren't for the almost insanity-inducing process (not to mention the cost). I'm not saying the process should be a breeze, and that reasonable background checks shouldn't be in-place. Of course they should. But the room for improvement and streamlining the process is significant.

Good suggestion on contacting the U.S. Embassy. Thanks very much for that.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭KingOfBreifne

Thanks for that link, Troposphere. I think that will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Is there any way you could complete your adoption in the US rather than here. It takes so long and is so difficult here and has become even more difficult since the adoption act came into law in Nov 2010. As far as I know no one has enacted an adoption under this law yet and that's not that people don't want to.
    You could probably have a child in your home within a year if you did it in the US.
    Anyway good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My wife and I are American citizens living in Ireland. We are in the early stages of the process to complete a foreign adoption, and I'm wondering if anyone (especially American citizens) out there has gone through this. I find the HSE adoption people to be friendly, but not overly specific in answering my questions. As I work through the paperwork mountain, I saw that we needed police clearance from the US. When I sought clarification on this, I was told that I needed background checks from police departments AND clearance papers from Child Protection Services agencies in EACH STATE where my wife or I have resided SINCE BIRTH. For us, that will mean 16 different background checks. After contacting each of these states, I have learned that some require me to be physically IN the states for fingerprinting to do this. Also, each of these checks involve fees of between $10-30 each. Can all this really be necessary? Seems so very redundant. Is there not a way to do a nation-wide background check through the FBI or something? I keep thinking that someone else must have gone through this. ANY information is appreciated - thanks!

The information the HSE has given you is accurate. We finally enacted the Hague Convention here recently- which both limits foreign adoptions to signature states, but also tightens up our own requirements.

The HSE want to ensure that the best interests of the child are served in every instance- and indeed checks for an Irish citizen would not be dissimilar to those you're being made go through- as they want to be certain about the family situation in which they are placing a child. The interests of the child are paramount- not the interests of the prospective adoptive parents- and to be quite honest with you- in my opinion this is 100% the way things should be.

The major benefit of undergoing an Irish adoption for you- would be of course your child would qualify for dual US/Irish citizenship- however there is a lot more entailed in adopting via Ireland than there is from most US states- I'd echo the sentiment above- perhaps you'd like to reappraise the situation and see whether adopting via the US would be a better bet.

On that note- I am closing this thread- and would remind everyone to please read the forum charter before posting in this forum.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement