Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was I Overcharged?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Was out with the missus on Saturday for a pint and something to eat. I was in a hotel in north Dublin (nothing fancy) and I was charged €12 for two pints of Guinness. We'd have a drink very rarely so I'm not up on pricing but I thought that was expensive.

I'm just curious as to whether the price is accurate or (bad mind) the young lad serving might have pocketed a euro or two for himself as we didn't get a receipt.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, I'd say it's unusual for a pint of Guinness to be over €5 unless you are in Dublin city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Faily vague question tbh, did you get a receipt?
    Check http://publin.ie/ for pricing info

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

subway wrote: »
    Faily vague question tbh, did you get a receipt?
    Check http://publin.ie/ for pricing info

How's it vague? I'm curious if €6 for a pint of Guinness is expensive. As I mentioned, no I didn't get a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It is expensive, but I could see a hotel having the cheek to charge that much. Ring them and ask. I doubt the lad took a euro for himself, that would be a very stupid thing to do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It's probably more in those oirish places in temple bar :rolleyes: . I know for a fact €7+ a pint isnt unheard of in some of these places!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

5.50 wouldn't be unusual for Guinness in some city centre places, worse I came accross recently was 6.50 for a bottle of Budvar in The Hairy Lemon, mate bought me it, if I'd known the price first I wouldn't have stayed there. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

How's it vague? I'm curious if €6 for a pint of Guinness is expensive. As I mentioned, no I didn't get a receipt.

You asked were you overcharged? I couldn't tell you without a receipt or knowing the pub. That's all.
    6 seemed expensive but it doesn't mean you were overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No one here would know if you overcharged without knowing the place you're talking about or indeed seeing a receipt.

As for the question, "Is it possible for a pint of Guinness to cost €6 in a hotel in Dublin?" The answer to that question is unfortunately yes, especially in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The Hilton in Clare Hall charges €6 a pint for Heineken. Would imagine its similar for Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

KJ wrote: »
    The Hilton in Clare Hall charges €6 a pint for Heineken. Would imagine its similar for Guinness.

I'd imagine thats to price out the locals tbh, its not the only place I can think of that do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement