Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen MMA

Options
  • 07-05-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

First I'd like to congratulate Stefan for the junior show at the weekend

Think as a community we need to get our views out there on this subject and also look at the proper legalities if we could get someone with appropriate knowledge

It possibly needs to happen away from the armchair warriors but I'd like to see what people think

Personally I would like to see two rulesets used

A class teen would be the current adult D class

B class would be league rules

I also disagree with the Leglock rules used at the weekend. Teens at leagues can do kneebars and toeholds

I would be much more concerned with one of my teens getting knocked out than getting kneebarred or having a toehold applied

I would however go with the consensus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'm a big fan of it, I don't think it has a place on the big pro shows as it is Amateur and should be on Amateur shows-My view is if you don't want teens fighting then that's fine but I don't think other's should be dictated too about whether they should or shouldn't

Amateur Boxers start at 11 fighting and the rules are the same as the adults, We dilute the rules from what adults do and are extra strict on stoppages etc

Also when they are on my show they are on 1st while the crowd is only in and not at the end when they could be more Rowdy, same happens on Boxing and Kickboxing shows held in pubs, clubs and Hotels which could contain kids right up to adults.

Stefan's show was great and the ref's done a good job too

As far as I'm concerned stopping teens fighting is an acceptance that our sport is somehow bad, as far as leg locks an all go i don't really mind once the refs have policy that once it is on it is on and fight over.

I'd have no problem diluting rules if the overall consensus was that it is for the best.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

not to derail point of thread...but is there really still 'adult D' class fights happening on shows today?? what is even D class rules? only stern looks allowed?
    if you're not fighting 'Pro' or 'Amateur' (what people are still referring to as 'New C Class') stick to the mma league.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Legends MMA Gym

Hi guys,

After having our junior event at the weekend, and with the current debate now starting here I think we should all sit down and iron out some plans so all clubs involved can be happy with the junior rules set. The next show in Dublin is May 19th, why don't we meet up beforehand and see what we can agree to. I know this may not suit clubs based outside the greater Dublin area, but there is no reason why we cannot arrange other meetings to include all.

Stef

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

i've started a group on Facebook 'Irish MMA Coaches'. search for it and join it if you run a mma gym. better place for these type of discussions.

Advertisement