Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gum infection

Options
  • 07-05-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a gum infection or gingivitis (bleeding of gums when touched and foul smell from infected area) around a couple of my front teeth.

I've had it this couple of weeks now but haven't got round to the dentist. I'm seeing him now in two weeks.

I was just wondering is there anything I can do myself to help heal the infection in the mean time, or prevent it from getting worse?

I've heard of these Anti-Septic mouthwashes you can get like Corsodyl which are designed to tackle gum infections etc.

Just wondering if I'd be able to get this over-the-counter in a pharmacy? Ok to use without subscription? Sorry, may seem like silly questions...

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi cordorsyl mouth wash is good, but don't use it for prolonged peroids of time as it will stain your teeth. You can buy over the counter, think you can even pick it in Tescos.

you should prob visit a dentist as you may need anti- biotics or treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I had two bouts of gingivitis recently and needed antibiotics. I had some plaque build up and was in braces so I needed a good clean. I delayed the second dentist visit when I got it again and got corsodyl, flossed, brushed to keep it as clean as I could and it did not help enough to stop it.

My gums got lower and now 3 weeks later are only fully healed. Just go to the dentist! I regret not going immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I had two bouts of gingivitis recently and needed antibiotics. I had some plaque build up and was in braces so I needed a good clean. I delayed the second dentist visit when I got it again and got corsodyl, flossed, brushed to keep it as clean as I could and it did not help enough to stop it.

My gums got lower and now 3 weeks later are only fully healed. Just go to the dentist! I regret not going immediately.
    I've had this gum infection around my front teeth this couple of weeks but won't see the dentist until Friday week. I'm just kind of affraid to leave it longer. My gums haven't retreated all that much in the last few weeks so just looking for something to keep the infection at bay untill I visit the dentist. Any suggestions ? Maybe the mouthwash will control it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Maybe consider ringing up your dentist and explaining your concerns? They might be able to fit you in sooner or if not, I'm sure they'd give you some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Well I'm going to hopefully see the dentist by the end of the week! I'd say i'll need antibiotics seeing that it's a bacterial infection...does anybody know how long I'd be prescribed? Just that I have a lot on the end of next week/end (birthdays, going away parties etc.) and not being able to have a drink or two could be a pain! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Both times I was prescribed a 5 day course. That might differ fr yourself but think that's ye norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

I was actually with the dentist on Monday with the same issue. Oh Lordy the pain was unbelievable felt like someone had punched me in the jaw!!!!

I was prescribed amoxicillin 500mg for 7 days and tradol 50mg for 5 days. Have to say that after 24 hrs I noticed a huge improvement. Feels so much better now.

I would deffinatly recommend you go to the dentist ASAP

Forgot to say she also recommended that I use corsydl mouthwash to help numb the site in between painkillers. I also find clove oil which is available from most chemists also good for instant relief

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had something stuck behind my gum that got infected and inflamed. 1 week of Corsodyl and it was all fixed.
    Any longer than that and Id be hitting the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Molly1983 wrote: »
    I was actually with the dentist on Monday with the same issue. Oh Lordy the pain was unbelievable felt like someone had punched me in the jaw!!!!

I was prescribed amoxicillin 500mg for 7 days and tradol 50mg for 5 days. Have to say that after 24 hrs I noticed a huge improvement. Feels so much better now.

I would deffinatly recommend you go to the dentist ASAP

Forgot to say she also recommended that I use corsydl mouthwash to help numb the site in between painkillers. I also find clove oil which is available from most chemists also good for instant relief

Just to clarify...
    the amoxicillin helps to control infection (systemically)
    the tradol is a pain killer
    the corsodyl is not a topical pain killer it is a topical antimicrobial agent and helps to clean up the area locally....

Advertisement