Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto checker thingys

Options
  • 06-05-2012 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

You know the scanners in shops. Do you use em to check your tickets or do you check them on telly or net?
    I'm always very weary of those scanners, what I'd they give a wrong reading? I could have been a millionaire and never known

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Trusty old Aertel P150

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Maybe check the actual lotto numbers yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Yup, I use the scanners all the time, my faith is in technology :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the lotto's rigged for a winner on a bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

In the olden days we checked manually..

I remember traveling to Dublin to pick up my jackpot win.. I was second guessing myself the whole way up along... couldnt believe it until the cash was actually in my account..

*true story... I swear. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

If I was a lotto doer Id have to check them for myself. Ive brought in a winning ticket as purchased and checked my me ol one. The shop assistant has scanned it, seen nothing and ripped it. Following my er check that again please, theres been a swift payout and a thousand apologies. Not serious when its paying out about 20 quid but that sort of thing would be fairly hairy if it was a bigger win.

Bottom line, those scanners. Not to be relied on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Why would you check it in a public place, what if you fecking well won?

You'd have every local turd hanging outta ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

I've checked a few that have said Winner €5 or something like that, but if you checked it with a jackpot winner I doubt it'd say Winner €2,000,000. I presume it would say something like "Winner, contact lotto HQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I wonder what it would display if you put the winning ticket under it. Did the fella who programmed it put in any special features like make it play a little jingle, would the person behind the counter know that you scanned a winning ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I check mine on the lotto website. Then I get parnoid that it's wrong, so I use a scanner in the shop. Then I get paranoid that's wrong too...so I go home and check it manually.............about 4 times in case I made a mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Dean09 wrote: »
    I check mine on the lotto website. Then I get parnoid that it's wrong, so I use a scanner in the shop. Then I get paranoid that's wrong too...so I go home and check it manually.............about 4 times in case I made a mistake!
    That'd be OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Dean09 wrote: »

You d be handy to have around the place. I can never believe I've locked the door properly or shut all the windows...but sounds like you'd be well up for doing the job thoroughly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I dont trust them scanner things, but im too lazy to check manualy myself, so i probably have lost out on a few small wins, but hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

That'd be OCD.

Eh, no it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I always do the lotto online (on the rare occasions I do it) so if I do win I get an email the next day. All it says though is "News About Your National Lottery Login Account" in the subject line and to login. Talk about getting your hopes up! I've never won more than €50 in one go. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

The self scanner is connected to the main lotto machine so they can't be wrong. And if you scan a winning ticket it comes up Check With Retailer. which is stupid as when its scanned on the lotto machine that says contact lotto hotline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I absolutely trust the scanner thingies, at least you can check the d&mn thing yourself. It's when they shop doesn't have one and you have to give it to the young one behind the counter I get paranoid. They scan it and go 'no, no winners'. And then don't give it back to you. And the next thing is they are off living in the Seychelles on your millions.

I really think the National Lottery should impose something where the shop are required to give the customer back their ticket, drives me mad having to ask for it/live forever being haunted by the thought of someone laughing all the way in to the Lotto offices on Abbey St with MY winning ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I absolutely trust the scanner thingies, at least you can check the d&mn thing yourself. It's when they shop doesn't have one and you have to give it to the young one behind the counter I get paranoid. They scan it and go 'no, no winners'. And then don't give it back to you. And the next thing is they are off living in the Seychelles on your millions.

I really think the National Lottery should impose something where the shop are required to give the customer back their ticket, drives me mad having to ask for it/live forever being haunted by the thought of someone laughing all the way in to the Lotto offices on Abbey St with MY winning ticket.

Lad I know from Tallaght. His GF sent him to the shop to check her ticket, she thought she had 5 numbers. So he brings it to the shop and the fella said he didn't win anything and throws the ticket in the bin. My friend asked for the ticket back, scanned it, 10 grand :eek:. Id say this must happen all the time with small wins.

Lad I know from Tallaght. His GF sent him to the shop to check her ticket, she thought she had 5 numbers. So he brings it to the shop and the fella said he didn't win anything and throws the ticket in the bin. My friend asked for the ticket back, scanned it, 10 grand :eek:. Id say this must happen all the time with small wins.

I will never sleep again, thinking about all my lost winnings!

Seriously though, it must happen all the time. It's just too easy to say 'nah, sorry love' and pocket the ticket yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

My friend when he was younger one time started scanning all of the discarded lotto tickets next to one of the scanning machines and won himself a few euros! Double-check the message people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Easy way to solve that problem is to sign the back of the ticket before you get it checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

10k for 5 numbers now?

Match 5 last nights draw was under 2k

Story is as tall as the amount of money for the 5 numbersi if you ask me.

Heard it from a mate, who heard it from a mate no doubt.

January wrote: »
    Easy way to solve that problem is to sign the back of the ticket before you get it checked.

I sign them as soon as I buy them. I am forever being haunted by the thought that maybe the person behind the counter hasn't realised it's signed and hangs onto it anyway. Thus depriving us both of my millions when they then can't cash it either.

I may be overthinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am a bit wary of the machines ok, but I use them because I am checking a synicate. True you would be a bit weary waiting for the 'Ready' sign to come up - why does it have to take so long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

themadchef wrote: »
    10k for 5 numbers now?

Match 5 last nights draw was under 2k

Story is as tall as the amount of money for the 5 numbersi if you ask me.

Heard it from a mate, who heard it from a mate no doubt.

Read my post again, this time with your glases on. I said she THOUGHT she had 5 numbers. It was 5 + bonus in Monday Million :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I checked my numbers online and I had won 5e. Went down to the shop and while I was waiting to get served checked it in the scanner and it came up that there was nothing on the ticket. Handed it over anyway and there was indeed 5e, so the scanner was wrong

Always double check your ticket or you could be throwing away millions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I checked my numbers online and I had won 5e. Went down to the shop and while I was waiting to get served checked it in the scanner and it came up that there was nothing on the ticket. Handed it over anyway and there was indeed 5e, so the scanner was wrong

Always double check your ticket or you could be throwing away millions!!

Yeah, I think its foolish to trust a man made machine to tell you if youve won money or not. Machines have a tendency to break or not work properly at various times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

looksee wrote: »
    I am a bit wary of the machines ok, but I use them because I am checking a synicate. True you would be a bit weary waiting for the 'Ready' sign to come up - why does it have to take so long?
    i used to get tickets checked for a syndicate, always handed them in to be checked, and had them print out the 'not a winner' slip, i dont think the lads trusted me, or yer man in the shop either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Having previously worked in a busy shop that sold a lot of Lotto tickets for 10 years, I can tell you three things in my experience:

1) The machines were never wrong, even once.
    I really think the National Lottery should impose something where the shop are required to give the customer back their ticket
    2) The person in the shop is supposed to give you back your ticket, unless it's a winner, in which case they keep the ticket but give you the printed receipt from the machine which shows the prize you have won. If it's not a winner, they should be giving it back to you.
    the lotto's rigged for a winner on a bank holiday
    3) While I wouldn't say that it's rigged, this did happen an awful lot, which I found very strange.

Advertisement